Modifying The Is 300

smooth1

Wow, I just thought about your setup, 6 cylinder motor with turbo lag boost and the stock torque converter, OUCH!!!

Your basically running N/A out of the blocks with a stock IS300 torque converter....Yes smoothe get a new stall rate TC but remember the topend power that you experience now will disapear some...Be prepared as your lowend will increase big and your topend will suffer some...

Did you try lextreme.com for the stall rate change in your T.C.? You send yours in and they recalibrate the stall rate, balance it and send it back to you for under $400... What I would do is get a used one for your car from a local junk yard and send that in so you avoid any down time with your car...Then re-sell your stock one on Ebay... Just a thought for you....

Yeah, so now you understand my plight.

So, I went to Cottman transmission,,,,,Hell no way they are touching my car!!!!!! So, I'll make a few more phone calls around here, and if I can't put something together here locally, then I'll just have to do it long distance. So here is the plan.

Look around locally more first.

Buy a small gas friendly car for around 1500 bucks.

Put the Is in the garage and pull the tranny and tq converter. Send out the tranny to level 10 and have them do the tranny upgrade.

Once I get the tranny back, and new torque converter, install them and then of course test it out. LOL!!( evil laugh as I look to check off a few more victims on the hit list!)

Then i'll have the budget car to drive around while I have the monster under wraps and getting the finish work done.

Komail, weclome to the thread.

Well, first obstacle is hurdled. We welcome our new addition to the Smooth family,a 1996 Nissan Sentra GXE, 5 speed manual, pw, pl, ps, ac, cruise, tilt, aftermarket stereo, very clean inside and out, 1 owner car. He said he averaged around 32 mpg with it. ( We'll see, but I'm sure great anyway.) I'll post some picks later.

So, now the Monster can go back up on the racks for a few weeks while I work out all the rest of the issues, and drivetrain. YES!!!!

Well, I just found a great alternative to my issue. I just bought a A650E 5 speed auto race built by Turboeast. So I can keep the tranny I have stock, if I ever want to go back, or need another one for the future. I got the tranny for 1750 bucks including shipping. Considering I was gonna pay 3600+ shipping both ways, I think this may be a very good deal. So, lets hope the guy is on the level.

Now I just need to get my torque converter built.

Yo Jibby, wanna come over and help me change out my tranny? Yeah, I can do it myself, but I figure a few beers and a fast Lexus to work on would be fun for both of us! LOL!!!! Yo Flop, you can come too.

Well, I just found a great alternative to my issue. I just bought a A650E 5 speed auto race built by Turboeast. So I can keep the tranny I have stock, if I ever want to go back, or need another one for the future. I got the tranny for 1750 bucks including shipping. Considering I was gonna pay 3600+ shipping both ways, I think this may be a very good deal. So, lets hope the guy is on the level.

Yo Jibby, wanna come over and help me change out my tranny? Yeah, I can do it myself, but I figure a few beers and a fast Lexus to work on would be fun for both of us! LOL!!!! Yo Flop, you can come too.

Smooth, You have enough room in the garage for one more ? I'll bring the food :cheers:

Hell yeah, in fact, everyone come and we'll make it a party!!!! So long as the tranny gets changed before I get drunk!! LOL!!! LMAO!!

haha you don't want me touching your car.... i break bolts remember.... lol... but i wish i could come and at least watch... just for the experience of seeing it done (well... mainly for the beer LOL)... i learn most of what i know by watching other people!!! but good luck with the install!!!! peace

Smoothe, I'll hop on the next flight out their.... Bust out the beer, women, grub, tools, and transmission jack...

Which transmission is the A650E? Supra TT automatic? How was it built to hold 500whp? Becareful with the electronics in these trannies swaps, it may not be a good mate to your IS300...Just a few things to think about which you probably already know...

A650E is the IS 300 tranny. Turboeast put in the upgraded valvebody, Upgraded sprags and clutch packs. The tranny is rated to hold 600-700 rwtq.

When I get it, I'll add the tranny cooler to it.

Yeah, I think they also heat treat the planetaries and sunshell, and a few other things also, like open the flow lines more and drill out the returns . So, I guess thats why they say that. I called turboeast to find out more about the tranny. So, we are about to find out huh?

Something I thought of earlier, was that on a stock tc, and stock tranny, I dyno'd 410 rwhp, and 425 tq. I wonder how much I was really puttin down now with the drivetrain upgrade? I may have to go in and tune it down a notch.

Ok, here are the pics of the new daily driver.

post-42851-1194821727_thumb.jpg post-42851-1194821742_thumb.jpg

I drove it from Orlando to Venice Beach, avarage speed 90 mph, all the way there and back. About 7 hours total. This little beater got 32 mpg !!!!. After I changed out the clutch,(300 bucks) new plugs(12 bucks) and EGR valve( 85 bucks), oil change and air filter( 25 bucks), cleaned the MAF( Free), and intake( Free) , I'm getting 36 mpg around town!! It only has like a 10 gallon tank!(Priceless!) Not bad I have to say. So this will be our road warrior . To the grocery store, the errand day, and my back and fourth to work car. I can't tell you guys how nice it is to park the car monster in the garage, and take the Nissan to the grocery store and not have to worry about door dings and rogue shopping carts. Now I can just take the monster out for a nice "spirited" drive, and then back to the garage. I'm lovin it!! :)

I just bought a Level 10 custom built, 3200 stall speed torque converter also. So that will be here soon after the tranny.

i had a 97 200sx that looked pretty much just like that.... you can get those cars on 3 wheels.... lol..... glad to hear you got something to drive around!!!! ....and ooooOOOOOoooOOOO torque converter huh???? sweetness!!!!! i don't even know what that looks like but it sounds cool!!! lol.....

LMAO!!!! Flop, your a trip man.....

The torque converter looks like a big doughnut without the hole in the middle. It acts like a clutch, but uses centrifical force from the rpms to engage and disengage. The stall speed is when the fluid in the torque converter "locks up" the clutch to transfer full power. The stock tc is like 1700 rpm, not high enouph to really produce enouph power yet. So by raising the stall speed to 3200, it gives the motor a chance to rev into the power area, and launch better. Kinda like you sitting there with the cluctch pushed in and holding the revs at 3000, then GO!, now I can do that too. ;)

MMMmmmmmm...... doooooonuuuuut ...homermsn.png

...a trip???.... that's ME!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... and just to clarify that i'm not completely retarded i did know what a torque converter was... just never seen one.... lol

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3D10%26hl%3Den

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...%3D10%26hl%3Den

MMMmmmmmm...... doooooonuuuuut ...homermsn.png

...a trip???.... that's ME!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....... and just to clarify that i'm not completely retarded i did know what a torque converter was... just never seen one.... lol

and just to clarify that i'm not completely retarded

Yeah I know that. You drive the right car. ;)

And it looks like dc put up a good link, so there's your mechanics 101 for the week...LOL!!!

Man I sure hope this tranny will hold, and this combo is the right one. Atleast until I move on to the next few stages of modding. ( a complete look of innocence on my face as a slight rise comes to the eyebrows of those reading this,,,," Hmmm, I wonder what he means by next few stages of modding? Why would he only want it hold on for that long???, Hm, curious...)

So once the tranny and the tc come in, I'll try to get those on quick. Hopefully the timing will work out. I'm still working on the spark plug gaps and some other small bugs.

sweet do i get a gold star by my name..... and that looks more like a donut with sprinkles smooth1... haha.... but thanks dcfish for the illustrations... i already feel smarter! :D ....and i wonder what smooth is talking about..... hmmmm..... maybe he's gonna mount a tank cannon to it???? ....lol.... (i'm trying to build the anticipation for ya smooth!! ;))

sweet do i get a gold star by my name..... and that looks more like a donut with sprinkles smooth1... haha.... but thanks dcfish for the illustrations... i already feel smarter! :D ....and i wonder what smooth is talking about..... hmmmm..... maybe he's gonna mount a tank cannon to it???? ....lol.... (i'm trying to build the anticipation for ya smooth!! ;))

Here ya go Flop.......

post-1634-1194893867_thumb.jpg

Ok, idle return issue solved!!! I got a 5 lbs. spring for the bov. and that solved all those issues. The idle is spot on, and when I roll off the throttle, the rpms never drop below 750. Awsome!!! So that issue is fixed.

Next is the figuring out the optimal gap and spark plug combo while waiting for the tranny and tc to come in. I cannot beleive how hard it is to get Denso plugs!!! Even my distributors are telling me its a week out!! What is up with that?? Anyway, I'm gonna go with 1 heat range colder, and I was looking into a tstat and radiator cap that fall into that temp range also. Looks like the Toms is the most accurate and best choice for that.

Ok, idle return issue solved!!! I got a 5 lbs. spring for the bov. and that solved all those issues. The idle is spot on, and when I roll off the throttle, the rpms never drop below 750. Awsome!!! So that issue is fixed.

Next is the figuring out the optimal gap and spark plug combo while waiting for the tranny and tc to come in. I cannot beleive how hard it is to get Denso plugs!!! Even my distributors are telling me its a week out!! What is up with that?? Anyway, I'm gonna go with 1 heat range colder, and I was looking into a tstat and radiator cap that fall into that temp range also. Looks like the Toms is the most accurate and best choice for that.

Gotta love progress :cheers: (with cars) :whistles: