How Much Do Dealers Charge To Clean Headlamps?

I've been polishing and polishing with white stuff that cleans headlamps(LOL forgot the name already), and it's working -- verrrrrrryy slowly. When I first bought the stuff, i used a foam pad and kinda lightly rubbed it on my headlamps in a circular motion, then once it started getting dry or sticky, i would wipe it off with a dry towel. Did that for about 30 minutes and it removed some of the lighter stuff, but none of the heavy stuff. So then I tried scrubbing the polish in HARD with short back and forth motions, for about another 30 minutes, and then I started seeing some results. But it's about killing my arm. And I"ve only been doing one lamp and its about half way done. So now I'm getting lazy and wondering how much a dealer costs. Thanks. :whistles:

I've been polishing and polishing with white stuff that cleans headlamps(LOL forgot the name already), and it's working -- verrrrrrryy slowly. When I first bought the stuff, i used a foam pad and kinda lightly rubbed it on my headlamps in a circular motion, then once it started getting dry or sticky, i would wipe it off with a dry towel. Did that for about 30 minutes and it removed some of the lighter stuff, but none of the heavy stuff. So then I tried scrubbing the polish in HARD with short back and forth motions, for about another 30 minutes, and then I started seeing some results. But it's about killing my arm. And I"ve only been doing one lamp and its about half way done. So now I'm getting lazy and wondering how much a dealer costs. Thanks.:whistles:

If you've run out of elbow grease, I would recommend a professional detailer rather than a dealership.

A detailer will have the proper equipment to do the job, probably more experience at that sort of work, and is likely cheaper as well....and may even come to you rather than having to drop your car of somewhere.

It probably costs more here (in Canada) than it would where you are. That's the way with most things this side of the border :cries:

Just make a few calls to detailers your area and ask them what they would charge to do the job.

It probably costs more here (in Canada) than it would where you are. That's the way with most things this side of the border :cries:

Just make a few calls to detailers your area and ask them what they would charge to do the job.

Let's take a step back. Rubbing with the polish will only get you a little. You might as well use toothpaste. Beside the cleaning actions of toothpaste, it can act as a polisher, believe it or not. The mince kind will work, others wouldn't.

Look at the problem first! Is the inside or the outside of the lamp is dirty?

If it's outside, you are probably referring to the yellow and haze stuff. The cause of the yellow and haze stuff is from the clearcoat getting old, oxidized and/or under the sun for a long time. This is a common problem if not parked inside a closed garage. All you have to do is sand off the clearcoat first with some sandpapers in wet sanding condition. Sand with heavier grade of sandpaper and then finer grade to smooth out the sanding. Don't sand too hard or you might crack or make a hole on the lamp. Afterward, spray two layers of clearcoat over it. You might notice the headlamps all turned white or foggy after you sanded and dried the water off. Don't worry. After the clearcoat is dried, it will look just like new.

I done this on my mustang. I was driving with these yellow and haze lamps for years and getting harder and harder to see at night. After sanding and new clearcoat, they look great!

DO NOT clearcoat plastic headlamps! :o

Every piece of sand it comes in contact with will make it chip off, which will cause it to totally peel off... after a year or two, it will crack all of the place and look like a giant spider-web.

I wouldn't wetsand either, b/c then you will see those "wavy" lines no matter how high a grade you use.

Just find a detailer and ask them to buff them out with a few compunds. It can't imagine paying more than 30-50 bucks... It won't take them more than a half hour, at the most with a machine.

I wouldn't clearcoat them either. They aren't clearcoated at the factory, and anything you would use would need to have a flex additive since the headlamps are plastic.

You can however wetsand them provided you do it with a fine enough grit. You'll only see wavy lines if it was done improperly.

The lens has a silicone-based coating applied to its outer surface, some manufacturers apply two different types of coatings to the outer surface of the lens, these coatings are mainly for UVR protection, but are also for impact and abrasion resistance, once the coating (s) fail the lens surface will occlude (clouding or yellowing)

While most of the cloudiness is on the surface, severely discoloured lens cannot be brought back to optical clarity. If you live in a southern state, this discoloration can become noticeable in as little as two-years.

Application Methodology:

•Use a solvent type cleaner (Klasse or Zaino All-In-One) if this does not remove the oxidation use a plastic polish

•Meguiar’s PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive, which requires a little pressure when applying it to enable these abrasives to remove the discoloured plastic and expose new plastic. Or Renovo Plastic Cleaner

•Plastic Cleaners can be used to clean and condition Perspex as well as flexible plastic but is not suitable for use on glass.

•Prior to application of a plastic polish ensure that the window is clean and free from dust particles by washing with a soft cloth and warm water.

•It is not advisable to use cleaning detergents on plastic.

•Shake the bottle thoroughly. Plastic polish can be hand or machine applied

•Using a random orbital buffer with a 3.5-inch backing plate and a 4-inch (LC White) polishing pad or a terry cloth applicator

•Place a small dab (about ½-inch diameter) of plastic polish on the foam pad or applicator.

•Place the pad on the lens surface and turn on the machine (speed #4)

•Polish the lens repeatedly in a left-to-right and an up and down pattern.

•Continue polishing until all the polish is gone

•Wipe the lens with a damp Microfiber towel

•Inspect the lens, repeat the polishing process 2-3 times as necessary

•Plastic polish will not remove clarity defects that are within the plastic but it will remove external/surface scratching and oxidation (yellowing)

Alternative products-

a) Novus 1 - gently cleans all plastics without scratching, leaves a lustrous shine that resists fogging, repels dust, and eliminates static.

Novus 2 - removes fine scratches, haziness, and abrasions from most plastics (exceptional for removing scratches from Plexiglas). Use repeatedly and restore faded and discoloured plastics.

Novus 3 -removes heavy scratches and abrasions from most acrylic surfaces. Contains abrasives, not for use on eyeglasses, polycarbonate, or coated plastics, final finishing also requires the use of Novus 2 http://www.modernplastics.com.

B) This simple, easy to use product cleans, brightens and protects even the dullest headlights, also works great on taillights, the plastic windows in convertible tops, instrument panels, and motorcycle windscreens.DA2030 Shine Restorer Protector- http://www.rightlook.com/index.asp?PageAct...&ProdID=167

c) Lensrenew - http://www.lensrenew.com/plastic_headlight_restoration.htm

Wet-sanding- some OEM headlights have a coating applied this coating does not respond well to sanding test a small inconspicuous area. If the plastic starts to turn white, do not sand the lenses. Use a plastic polish (see Plastic Polishing)

When sanding the lens ensure that you sand in one direction only. It's important to keep the lines as straight and uniform as possible as they are often still slightly visible even after polishing. Providing the lines are in one direction you’ll never notice them once the acrylic coating is evenly applied. Otherwise random sanding lines will distort the light beam and become a distraction

Product specific - Rightlook.com makes dull, yellowed headlights look like new with Clear Lights Headlight Restoration Kit. This simple, easy to use system cleans, brightens and protects even the dullest headlights. The Clear Lights Kit also works well on taillights, the plastic windows in convertible tops, instrument panels, emergency vehicle light bars, and motorcycle windscreens. (This is a professional product for multi-use, retail approx. $200)

• 5 weeks later...

Try Nevr-Dull from Eagle One. We used it on the Chrysler (sorry, didn't really want to use that word here) headlights and it did a wonderful job. I would have never thought of using this product, but when you have tried everything else, why not see what it does. It was easy, fast to put on and very effective. Now, the down side. I think, cause it hasn't been long enough for us to tell, but I think you will have to reapply it after some period of time. When likely has something to do with how often you wash the car, or it gets wet in the rain.

Applying is a matter of minutes - 5 - so its not like it is a lot of work.

Check Ebay for headlight purchases....Once your old headlights are out do the cleaning process then re-sell them on Ebay...NO COST TO YOU...That's what I did and I got new looking headlights on my SC400 for nothing....