Finally Found And Bought My Ls400...few Questions

LS400_Fan

Just a couple things i have questions on because i don't know if the car has these features or not:

1) Does the car have automatic locking doors once you reach a certain operating speed?

2) If the answer to #1 above is no, can you make that happen?

3) When you are finished driving the vehicle and you go to open the door, when the doors are LOCKED i noticed that you CANNOT open the door unless you actually unlock them. Is that normal?

I mean, my old beater had that option LOL.

4) Are there any cool secret hidden features that i don't know about the car.

Thanks for any help

Hmm, that first Q is interesting. I know all the new Toyotas have it (I generalize. The Camry loaners I use to get had it) but Im not sure if that would be possible on a 96. You may want to call your dealer and see.

Yeah the doors will remain locked unless you unlock them by either pressing the button or pulling that little tab back. My BMW is the opposite. If the door is locked when I pull the handle once it unlocks and the button up top comes up and when I pull it again the door opens. I like how the Lex always stays locked myself.

Secret features... well I found out here the 96 LS has an adaptive tranny. Man I cant really think. Oh, well the doors will re-lock if you use the remote and dont open them within like 30 seconds. Thats pretty cool. I wish my Bimmer had that option. Its nice if you unlock by accident and forget to relock the car.

The doors will not lock upon the car reaching a certain speed, they can be set to lock when you shift to drive and unlock when you shift to park. There should be a button combination to accomplish this, do you have the manual?

The doors will not lock upon the car reaching a certain speed, they can be set to lock when you shift to drive and unlock when you shift to park. There should be a button combination to accomplish this, do you have the manual?

Awesome, now when you say manual are you talking about the service manual or the actual manual with the car?

I have the one that came with the car and did read through it but didn't see anything like that.

The owner's manual. I know on the 98+ LS there's a lock toggle combination for setting the doors to lock and unlock and it can be set with the C-BEST settings at the dealer. The 96 has no C-BEST settings but it should have the same lock combination...

Just a couple things i have questions on because i don't know if the car has these features or not:

1) Does the car have automatic locking doors once you reach a certain operating speed?

2) If the answer to #1 above is no, can you make that happen?

3) When you are finished driving the vehicle and you go to open the door, when the doors are LOCKED i noticed that you CANNOT open the door unless you actually unlock them. Is that normal?

I mean, my old beater had that option LOL.

Thanks for any help

1) not that I'm aware of

2) not that I'm aware of, but I don't think so

3) Yes, it's normal, the handle won't operate the locking mechanism

4) Other than the oil slick and smoke screen, it's basically a bullet proof rolling living room that will impress you for many many many years and miles. Oh, and chics dig it, even if they say they don't "too big, too boring, too old-manish". Trust me, just threaten to sell it, and see what she says. You're in for it now buddy, hope you like the car, because once your girlfriend and ESPECIALLY your wife rides in it, it's yours forever!

Awesome, now when you say manual are you talking about the service manual or the actual manual with the car?

I have the one that came with the car and did read through it but didn't see anything like that.

locking and unlocking the doors is just the matter of triggering the door lock actuators via relays. Moving the shift nob to P, R, D... will result in turning on the shift indicator lights. this means we have an electronic trigger each time we change shift. To get the doors lock/ unlock in Drive/ Park position, simply modify the wiring harness so that a signal will be sent to locking mechanism respectively

mine goes with a black widow remote control. it locks all doors when key turns to ACC (while all doors closed) and unlock doors upon engine turn off

Not really; you probably already know the few that I'm going to mention but..... Everyone gets a kick out of the power headrest and seat belt height adjusters, and if you are listening to the radio, the car will adjust the antenna length to get the best reception. Your outside mirrors will tint (and I love the heat for those dewy mornings too.) just like the interior mirror if someone's headlights are shining in. If you pull (horizontally) on the visor, it will slide on it's hinge and extend to block the sun that comes through the driver or passenger window. Lastly, if you don't shut your door all the way and you hit the lock button on your remote, the car will beep until you go and close the door, and there is a button to turn the beeping on or off near the interior fuse panel.

Congrats and good luck with your car!