My Es300 Shifts Like A Ford!

dka551

So, the check engine comes on in my '97 ES300 (65K mi.). I take it in to discover that the "pigtail harness" needs to be replaced. And, because the pigtail harness failed, it fried a cylanoid. "That'll be $750, thank you very much."

But, when the Dallas dealership test drives it before returning it to me, they discover that it's now not shifting into overdrive. Supposedly, it another cylanoid needs to be replaced - one that's located in the transmission (?). "That'll be another $750, thank you very much."

I get the car back. It now shifts into overdrive, but feels almost like I'm getting rammed from behind. The jerk is quite noticeable. If I had wanted a Ford-like transmission, I would have bought one.

So, I take the car back. Lexus dealership tells me that they "don't have technicians trained to work on such transmission issues," so in order to fix it, they'd have to replace the entire transmission. "That would be $5500, thank you very much."

I decline in frustration and now drive a Lexus that shifts like a hoopty. Anyone have ideas on what I should do before I sell the darned thing?

Yes. Thought about taking it to another one, but figured that if one couldn't do it - perhaps none could. Also thought about taking it to a Toyota dealership. Also thought about dumping it in a lake, but that might be premature. Have you heard of anything like this before?

hard shift are one of 2 things

there is a blockage i the tranny for the torwue convertor

or the throttle kick down adjustment is out of spec

get them to look again and say you shouldn't have to keep paying for every bad diagnosis

they are usually rpretty good with this stuff

and also leave feedback in the dealer feedback section

Who did the repair? Sewell? Sometimes the tech didn't put everything back together like it supposed to go. I see a lot of tech forgot to put the check valve spring back. Are you in the dallas area? I can help you out.

JP IMPORTZ 469-363-8652

I agree with JPI, they probably didnt button it all up correctly. Common. All dealers are independent, and the service you recieve varies greatly. I would definately never return to the dealership that sent you packing, except to make them fix the problem. if they wont, call the General Manager of the dealership, or Lexus corporate.

Tell the next Lexus dealer you go to that you've come over from Blah Blah Lexus because they wont repair your car right, they'll treat you extra well to get your business. Car dealers make MUCH more on service then on sales. Thats what I do, I help car dealers stay connected to their customers and make them feel cared for, like part of the family so they'll return for service. Dealers pay me enough to drive a Lexus just to help them do that.

I agree with JPI, they probably didnt button it all up correctly. Common. All dealers are independent, and the service you recieve varies greatly. I would definately never return to the dealership that sent you packing, except to make them fix the problem. if they wont, call the General Manager of the dealership, or Lexus corporate.

Tell the next Lexus dealer you go to that you've come over from Blah Blah Lexus because they wont repair your car right, they'll treat you extra well to get your business. Car dealers make MUCH more on service then on sales. Thats what I do, I help car dealers stay connected to their customers and make them feel cared for, like part of the family so they'll return for service. Dealers pay me enough to drive a Lexus just to help them do that.

good job you got there!

So, the check engine comes on in my '97 ES300 (65K mi.). I take it in to discover that the "pigtail harness" needs to be replaced. And, because the pigtail harness failed, it fried a cylanoid. "That'll be $750, thank you very much."

But, when the Dallas dealership test drives it before returning it to me, they discover that it's now not shifting into overdrive. Supposedly, it another cylanoid needs to be replaced - one that's located in the transmission (?). "That'll be another $750, thank you very much."

I get the car back. It now shifts into overdrive, but feels almost like I'm getting rammed from behind. The jerk is quite noticeable. If I had wanted a Ford-like transmission, I would have bought one.

So, I take the car back. Lexus dealership tells me that they "don't have technicians trained to work on such transmission issues," so in order to fix it, they'd have to replace the entire transmission. "That would be $5500, thank you very much."

I decline in frustration and now drive a Lexus that shifts like a hoopty. Anyone have ideas on what I should do before I sell the darned thing?

hey now lets not knock ford that bad!!!i acually loved fords before lexus!lol..its true!i had a sho taures that would rip the guts out of our es300 and had leather and all the same options as the es but not as quiet.

hehe :D

It shifted very well also!but now im older so i like the quietness and soft ride much more!

also i would recommend like the others said and take it to a different dealer and tell them about it!

:chairshot: ha... i got a FORD too..its a Mercury Villager..that check engine light came on when it was 100000km until now..heehhe :chairshot:

The Villager isn't a Ford, its a Nissan lol.

All it is is a rebadged Nissan Quest.

if it shifts like a ford there shouldnt be anything wrong with it. fords truck manuals shift like a dream. and their mustang autos shift great for an auto

true!the mustang does shift extremley well!fast too!i had a 94 mustang lx 5.0 and it road great and had some real awsome power!also a 95 sho taures loaded with options and that was really cool!

maybe he should of said his car drives like a hundai excel!lol :D

if he said it drove like an excel then it wouldn't go anywhere :lol:

pirrana

you are joking in deniying the villager being a nissan , right?

ford uses a different tranny fluid called type f

if you put in a dexron fluid tranny

it will cause real hard shifting

not sure on long term problems with it

but many a tranny have been replaced

because the wrong fluid went in and could have been changed easy enough

but who knew

Well, it's good to be back here at the forum after a couple weeks, but what's all this talk about Fords on the Lexus webpage? lol Never thought I'd see the day! Anyhow, I've had the same rough shifting problem with my 93, but mine was the front motor mount and dogbone. It still has issues every once in a while, but for the most part it drives like new. Nothing that I've ever driven compares to my moms' 96 ES though, as far as smoothness goes. Well, maybe that 98 Mercedes S500, but it should ride good for the price that it costs!! :P

yeh i wanted a jeep, but parents just LOVED the es, so bam... they got it and it was the worst choice they coulda made..oh well...

and the h-d f series make me cry. so darn expensive for a truck....and um...when i think of a truck, i dont want some low riding, chromed up thing.. i want a truck, a 4x4, knobby tires, lift kit, etc...i mean come on now...just get a car if you want something low to the ground....if i had a truck, id want to be able to drive OVER a car or tree trunk... but at the same time, i'd sure love a harley davidson f-series (for free)......i could just have both types....im weird i know.....you just don't understand my LOVE for things that go GRRRRRR.......*Drools*. im the type of girl who drags the BF to car lots and goes over each and everyone of the vehicles there.....mmmmm cars..........

how come people lower trucks but never raise cars ?