2003 Ls430 Ul Dream May Be A Nightmare

Hello new friends and extended Lexus family.

I finally obtained a black 2003 LS430 ultra. Got it for $35k out the door but traded a 2007 camry 6cyl 12K mi. I had to give $15k on my card.

Ok.. the test run was fine ( my cuz has 1995 ls400 - smoother ) I got it 3/20/07 15:35. super clean, 41K mi, little chips no big deal. I took car from dealer 4hrs after sale and once on the freeway, car pulls right. lane shift in .10 mi. they put new goodyear assurance 225/55/17 on the front but looking at the dot # of the rear tires ( goodyear eagle LS ) left side dot 3203 - right side dot 1701

* 17 = week of year 01 = year tires made *

Car is C.P.O. so I want new tires on rear and other stuff done.

I want an alignment

rear speakers somewhere blown

GPS from 2003 all exit # wrong. $ 199 DVD on ebay

only gave me ONE (1) key ( push button thing )

I did a carfax -- clear

do you think dealer will give me new rear tires ?

also I think this should be done:

coolant flush

fuel filter replace

transmission flush

drive belt replace ( not timing )

It took me 30 years to save for this. I always wanted the 1992 LS400 since 1998 but the 1000's of pictures I've seen and cars driving by I just keep dreaming.

Hope you all enjoy your toy and I get to also.

Will be here reading for another 15yrs.

( ps. my 1992 4cyl camry lasted 4/20/92---8/27/06 298K mi )

if I left out any info, let me know...

~ Carmine

In order to be CPO tires has to have certain amount of tread, and i assume they pass on that category. You may be able to push for new rears based upon age (6yrs old) of tire, but they could fight you on that if they consider them to be safe and within spec. I'd argue that you should at least have matching tires all the way around.

Ask for service history and compare against maintenance schedule in manual. Not sure of interval but i'd think it should have had a coolant flush under normal service schedule.

Don't think you'll get a fuel filter or transmission flush cause you haven't reached that service interval yet. Same for drive belt unless it shows signs of wear and premature failure. This is something that should have been part of your 125 point inspection.

Alignment you should get since you experienced the car pulling to the right. Same goes for speakers - they should all work. Don't know about the key, but you'd think since you paid extra to get CPO they'd at least give you a full set of keys.

Good luck and BTW, welcome to the club :cheers:

Welcome to the gang!

The speakers and tires they may cover; but the coolant flush and alignment they may not. Even so though it's a CPO car so you might as well ask. That fluids flush is a 30,000 or 60,000 mile service item--they will be able to tell you the last time it was done to that car.

Re: the DVD do some research and see if/when they updated the exits in your area. Apparently most of LA has not been updated since the 2004 update so for me an '05 or '06 DVD is not worth it.

Other than that not much else to worry about. Did you get black or ecru interior?

:cheers:

Ok.. the test run was fine ( my cuz has 1995 ls400 - smoother ) I got it 3/20/07 15:35. super clean, 41K mi, little chips no big deal. I took car from dealer 4hrs after sale and once on the freeway, car pulls right. lane shift in .10 mi. they put new goodyear assurance 225/55/17 on the front but looking at the dot # of the rear tires ( goodyear eagle LS ) left side dot 3203 - right side dot 1701

* 17 = week of year 01 = year tires made *

Car is C.P.O. so I want new tires on rear and other stuff done.

I want an alignment

rear speakers somewhere blown

GPS from 2003 all exit # wrong. $ 199 DVD on ebay

only gave me ONE (1) key ( push button thing )

I did a carfax -- clear

do you think dealer will give me new rear tires ?

also I think this should be done:

coolant flush

fuel filter replace

transmission flush

drive belt replace ( not timing )

It took me 30 years to save for this. I always wanted the 1992 LS400 since 1998 but the 1000's of pictures I've seen and cars driving by I just keep dreaming.

Hope you all enjoy your toy and I get to also.

Will be here reading for another 15yrs.

( ps. my 1992 4cyl camry lasted 4/20/92---8/27/06 298K mi )

if I left out any info, let me know...

~ Carmine

Hello again,

well, they refused to give me new tires on rear. I'm going to order them from tirerack.com

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp...p;x=63&y=15

they did the alingment, still pulls a bit.

they changed sub, i'm afraid to turn up the sound

refused to give me another key.

they will charge me for all other stuff I want.

don't know if I'm going to keep the car.

when I get the title I may dump it or spend the $1000 and keep it till it explodes

thanks again for reading

stay well

~Carmine

More evidence that CPO's not all its cracked up to be.

I would lean on them to do the key, the speakers, the alignment. They SHOULD give you two keys I agree, but I think the CPO guidelines are only 1.

As far as the other stuff, its just small. Get some nice new tires, the RIGHT tires for the car (The Goodyear Assurances are the wrong tires whether they're Comfortreads or Tripletreads. Get some Michelin MXV4+ or Bridgestone Turanza LS-Vs). If they won't do the key, get one from www.lexus-parts.com. The DVD just needs to be updated, make sure you get the most current update (the one from eBay is probably old, www.lexus-parts.com has them for $299) and that will help the nav system. It probably has the original disc which is version 2002.

Selling the car because it needs a couple things makes ZERO sense, you'll take a loss on it and after 4 years on the road it just needs a couple things.

More evidence that CPO's not all its cracked up to be.

yep and i've been saying this for years. just a waste of money imo. find the car you want and have it checked by someone you trust and knows something about the car. this way you'll save a few thousand up front. people always talk about the cpo adding resale value but you're paying more upfront so whats the difference.

And as long as its within the 4yr50k warranty you can purchase the Lexus extended warranty for like $1500 until 100k, and its transferable to a new owner unlike the CPO warranty.

What I don't understand, and I'm not knocking your complaint's Brooklyn, but how can these issues be deemed a "nightmare?" I would say "frustration", which comes with the car buying experience anyway, sadly. I agree though, you're getting a bit screwed on the keys and tires. I didn't think they would do the servicing you wanted though. They only do that if the manual calls for it at certain intervals, not at customer request intervals, unless you build that into your offer. I remember when I bought mine, I included the full whopper 90k service to be done as part of my offer.

I don't know man, it's a tough call, being as how it's a CPO and all. Looks like new, drives like new, finances like new.....but you get treated like crap in the process. If it were me man, I wouldn't let it get to you too badly, just let the manager politely know that you were dissapointed with your experience, and regret your purchase now. Be polite, not too pushy or confrontational..... I'd bet he'd cave under those comments, which appear to be your honest feelings. Trust me, he knows a can of engine coolant isn't nearly as expensive as loosing someone with the financial horsepower to buy the flagship, and if you're getting the title, the financial horsepower to pay cash for it. He'd be a fool to let you walk out of his business with those kinds of feelings. Especially with the MB / BMW / Audi & Infiniti shop just down the street "as they all tend to follow eachother".

I absolutely agree, nothing nightmarish at all about this. These are extremely small issues and once made right, the car will far exceed your expectations.

Agreed. You have to remember that CPO or not this is a used car; it has been on the road for a while. The tires and other maintenance items are not covered under new, used or any warranty; sooner or later these issues need attention. I guess you could have asked them to take care of that like nc211 said; but you are also paying for the assurance that if anything major breaks it will be covered.

SW is also right the guys at lexus-parts are great; if you give them the VIN and proof of registration they will cut the key for you; maybe you can get your dealer to program it (mine did it for free).

Once these issues are taken car of (you should still get them to fix the alignment) you're all set.

NC211 you're awesome, thank you so much

the rest of you all, thank you for the push... Ineeded it. I'm just freaking out.

I hope to be reading/writing w/ you all soon.

Below is from @ club lexus...

My Webpage

hello ROC3B,

I put $15k on my card @ 1.99 fixed $26/mo in interest for life. i have a credit rating of 813 but they wanted 6.99% I wrote a bal transfer check.

" I hate the say it but the basis for you disatisfaction seems to be inflated and and a bit nit picky. It is a used car...for the life of me I do not understand why you put the balance on plastic with the potential for compounded interest of 30+% if you even a day late. LS430 to finance very easy with any bank even with spotty credit as they are respected collateral with 15k for 36 months your payment would have been fixed @455 @5.95 with the CC you could potentially pay double that...." from ROC3B

hello again Dr. Jekyll,

the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity are $138 ea.

I contacted tire kingdom that said to contact TIRERACK.com.

I agree w/ you. I will buy 4 tires. They want $100 to install/balance / fees and tax. $350 out the door.

Thank you so much.

Thanks JJBODEAN,

I'm getting a key 3/30/07 valet for $130. the prick refuses to give me another key and says still trying to contact old owner ( car came from an auction 2 mos. after sale from org owner ) no prob,

:cheers:

Below is from @ club lexus

Oh, man! Look, he's already stepping out on us..... ;)

Hope you enjoy many years of pleasurable, trouble-free ownership with your new purchase. Best wishes to you Carmine!

hello again....

the GM of the lexus shop called me Saturday ( cause I called the salesman at his home around 11pm, asked me how in the world I got his #.... friends )

the GM said to bring in the car and he will put new goodyear assurance on the rear and give me back the $150 I paid for a valet key.

thanks again

ps. why is the front of my 2003 LS430 ultra look higher in the front than the rear?

Most cars look higher in the front than the rear, you might want to have them look at the air suspension system though.

In all honesty...you have no right to be badgering the salesman at his home at 11pm. If I were the GM of that dealership I would suggest you take your business to another dealer. Thats really out of line.

In all honesty...you have no right to be badgering the salesman at his home at 11pm. If I were the GM of that dealership I would suggest you take your business to another dealer. Thats really out of line.

X 2! Why in the world would you think that it is OK to call him at home. :chairshot:

Brooklyn, man, you crack me up! It takes some Gahonas to call the freakin salesman at his home, because you never know what a person is like "after hours". I know a lot of bankers who are some gun tootin' boys that I wouldn't want to tangle with, sun up or sun down. I'm assuming you bought your car from a Lexus dealership, right? Man, you got your refund and such, and the issue is resolved, but man you've put yourself in a tougher position than you were in to begin with. You're in the "one off" spot, which translates into "that was your last hook up from that dealership". The key to a Lexus dealership is in the service department, when you're beyond the limits of an indi mechanic. They can absolutely bend you over, and there ain't nothin' you can do about it once it's done. I'm not preaching to you on how to live your life, and how to inneract with folks. It's none of my business, and we all sleep in the beds we make for ourselves, none is better, none is worse. But man, you've gotta see where that's just a bit outside of the line. That guy was just doing as he was instructed to do, sell a car. And when it comes to Lexus cars, they pretty much sell themselves. You either want one, or you don't, when you show up at the dealership. Legallly, you're lucky the police weren't called agianst you, just to start a file on you. It would be easy for a case worker to look into harrassment charges for that. You interacted in a business transaction, outside of the business transaction guidelines. And man, you live in a place with more lawyers than freakin Washington DC.

But, you got some nuggets, that's for sure. To each is his own, it all tastes like chicken at the end of the day. But, before I give you mechanical advice, you're signing a waiver!! Hahaha.. :geek:

I don't accept anyone bull*BLEEP*ing me.

since jump, this salesman lied to me. and I was under the impression that yous all would be on my side. sorry I was wrong.

don't worry, I won't discuss this issue again

Why would you think that we would be on your side when you do something as rediculous as calling a salesman at home at 11:00?!? What would you expect him to do for you at 11:00? Were you threatening him? Trying to make him realize you knew where he lived? Why? Because your USED car wasn't perfect? I hope the dealer sends you packing and the salesman files for a restraining order. Man, you are a whack job.

Are you on medication for emotional disorders? You seem EXTREMELY and childishly dramatic about all of this. Used cars are just that, used and they're not new. CPO or not, they're not perfect. The dealer doesn't know two tires on the same axle were made at different times because its not their car, they just know the tires match and that the tread is within their wear guidleines. Its not their responsibility to update the nav system, the owner should do that if they see fit. I don't know what more they can do for you, they refunded you for your key, replaced all the tires, did the alignment, replaced the speaker. What more do you want them to do?

If you insist on a perfect car, pony up and buy a new one next time.

God...harassing a salesman at 11:00 at night when he's at home with his family because your USED car wasn't perfect...unbelievable. If you did that to me you would be in jail.

If the salesman gave me his cell phone number, I would call him to and try to talk him into fixing my problem. It's just the way you said you retrieved his number and the time of day you called him. Now if he had not been answering any of my calls at the dealership or any other time I would have to stop in the dealership to see him. But here is the thing. I believe that each sale is suppose to come with a spare key, maybe not a master but a spare, I have to look into some of the consumer warranty books here at the law firm first, but in all you have to remember, this is a salesman. They WILL lie for a sale at any dealership. Lexus has a customer service 800 number that deals with these situations and usually, they are in favor of the customer, especially for a CPO vehicle I would think. Yes, you have a right to want you're purchase in tip top shape, but you can't expect all of your friends to agree with you when you do something wrong. I certainly don't want you to leave the board for a misunderstanding. And I want you to be happy with you beautiful machinery. Sometimes we just have to take the just critisism in stride and say, look I made a mistake and I learned from it. We live and learn, lots of people could have made that judgement call in the heat of the moment when you're angry. I don't think you're a bad person, we all make mistakes. I forgive you, now forgive yourself and keep posting about your new beauty. Post some pics for us Brook. Peace out.