Ls400 Running Too Hot?

Ollie

Anyone know what the normal operating range for the temperature gauge is? I don't have the manual for my LS400 1990. Here is a picture of the temperature gauge. WHat do you think?

Looks normal, When was the last time you flushed and filled coolant/replace thermostat/replaced waterpump ?

That's where mine stays all the time regardless of outside temperature or engine load (hot day, idling in traffic, A/C on full!). The LS has a great cooling system. If it goes anywhere above this level for any period of time then you have reason to worry.

I used to worry the same way when i first got my GS, especially after having a cadillac that had an overheating problem, but thats the normal operating temperature on these cars, if it starts to fluctuate then you need to look into it. You should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just wanted to make sure.

I bought the car recently. I might try and flush the coolant just to be sure.

And I had this brown sticky stuff coming off the coolant reserver tank where the sensor is. Silly me I cleaned it off before taking a picture!

The PIC looks within normal range of temperature as previously stated by the other colleagues. What I would change if you have evaporation from the coolant tank is the radiator cap, they seem to go bad and become overlooked. It usually starts with an evaporation of some coolant in the tank in about a week you go and replace the missing fluid in a week or two the tank goes down like an inch from where it should be when cold, I do not check while hot unless is an emergency, if that is happening to you, a new radiator cap is in order. The Stan brand is OEM equipment for most imports, buy it where you can get it cheaper.

I had to replace mine, no more coolant missing from the tank ever!

C. PR

from my experience, temp gauge needle points middle is normal, something's just gone wrong if engine is either too hot (of course) or too cool

one thing, the combination meter on my 1990 LS400 looks different from yours. temp gauge is on the left and fuel gauge is on the right but your pix shows the reversed order.

anybody know why?

from my experience, temp gauge needle points middle is normal, something's just gone wrong if engine is either too hot (of course) or too cool

one thing, the combination meter on my 1990 LS400 looks different from yours. temp gauge is on the left and fuel gauge is on the right but your pix shows the reversed order.

anybody know why?

I would suspect that it has something to do with him living in australia.