Engine Oil Leakin

sheab

ummmmmmmm guys need major helpi got 91 ls 400 -- my driver side of the engine is leaking i mean right below where you put engine oil umm .. so can anyne tell me howmuch its gonna cost at dealer and any other way i mean cheap way to fix it cuz im kinda tight on budget now.. anything eh . thanks guys

The only thing that comes to my mind, that could be doing that is a leaky valve cover gasket. You need to buy a new gasket if you can find the brand Fel-pro those are the best, they are made so you do not damage them in case you overtorque a little more. Needed are the washers for the bolts in the valve covers. But before I'll go and buy anything, I would observed if the leak comes from the valve cover gaskets, then I would tight all the bolts that hold them in a criss-cross patter if possible with a torque wrench if not when they all make contact with the head not more than 15 to 20 degrees that way you would assure more or less got that all of them are at the same torque. Check and see if you find some of them loose if you do and see the leak coming from them, most likely is the gasket, tight everything and probably the leak either would go away or will dimish, if not then you may need to replace the gasket and washers.

CPR

The only thing that comes to my mind, that could be doing that is a leaky valve cover gasket. You need to buy a new gasket if you can find the brand Fel-pro those are the best, they are made so you do not damage them in case you overtorque a little more. Needed are the washers for the bolts in the valve covers. But before I'll go and buy anything, I would observed if the leak comes from the valve cover gaskets, then I would tight all the bolts that hold them in a criss-cross patter if possible with a torque wrench if not when they all make contact with the head not more than 15 to 20 degrees that way you would assure more or less got that all of them are at the same torque. Check and see if you find some of them loose if you do and see the leak coming from them, most likely is the gasket, tight everything and probably the leak either would go away or will dimish, if not then you may need to replace the gasket and washers.

CPR

[/quoi tighten few bolt but it seem alil still leakin so how much will it cost it at the dealer

ummmmmmmm guys need major helpi got 91 ls 400 -- my driver side of the engine is leaking i mean right below where you put engine oil umm .. so can anyne tell me howmuch its gonna cost at dealer and any other way i mean cheap way to fix it cuz im kinda tight on budget now.. anything eh . thanks guys

I had a little leakage around the right rear of the engine and I got it to stop by tightening the cam cover bolts. Not hard to do... got about a full turn on each of them.

No! I did not smash the hell out of them!! They were barely finger tight when I started...so I "snugged" them. I don't know if it was from previous engine work or from the gasket relaxing a little, but I was surprised that they were so loose.

It's worth checking.

I had a little leakage around the right rear of the engine and I got it to stop by tightening the cam cover bolts. Not hard to do... got about a full turn on each of them.

No! I did not smash the hell out of them!! They were barely finger tight when I started...so I "snugged" them. I don't know if it was from previous engine work or from the gasket relaxing a little, but I was surprised that they were so loose.

It's worth checking.

wow thats great the problem is the same spot as urs and the bolts was losen then i tighten it up just like u did after that there is still minor oil leak so how much its gonna cost at dealer but its the same spot and bolts were losen just lika ya thanks !

Use Barr No Leak and see if that stops it. CCF

quote name='sheab' date='Jan 21 2007, 08:29 PM' post='224043']

It's worth checking.

wow thats great the problem is the same spot as urs and the bolts was losen then i tighten it up just like u did after that there is still minor oil leak so how much its gonna cost at dealer but its the same spot and bolts were losen just lika ya thanks !

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so be gentle. I got my SC400 for $4K. A great condition gold edition from a Chicago area doctor. I've driven this car for $2500 miles and it runs great. I do have some issues though and just yesterday I noticed sizable puddle of oil in the area of the oil drain plug. This is the first time noticing it and it occured right after I kind of stoped on the gas. I'm hoping that it's not a main seal or the car has to go. I've been there done that.... expensive engine pull. Anyway, you said that you tightened up he cam cover bolds in front of the engine and that stopped a leak in the rear? Are you saying that the oil blew back then dripped around the rear of the engine?

termin8or

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so be gentle. I got my SC400 for $4K. A great condition gold edition from a Chicago area doctor. I've driven this car for $2500 miles and it runs great. I do have some issues though and just yesterday I noticed sizable puddle of oil in the area of the oil drain plug. This is the first time noticing it and it occured right after I kind of stoped on the gas. I'm hoping that it's not a main seal or the car has to go. I've been there done that.... expensive engine pull. Anyway, you said that you tightened up he cam cover bolds in front of the engine and that stopped a leak in the rear? Are you saying that the oil blew back then dripped around the rear of the engine?

termin8or

tell u the truth im fed up with lexus peace of !Removed! ....so does my dad new 2000ls400...thats a great waste we ever have done ....i will never recomnd anyone to buy lexus...........................i send mine to junkyard yesterday .and guess what ppl asking me its looks great.. why u doin it lol---i offer em free they stll dont want it so good buy to lexus...u buy lexus u dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... agree or disagree aint matter ... soon or leater u will die .. never buy a used lexusssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss DID YOU GUYS HEARD NEVER BUY A USED LEXUS ...................IF U DO BE READY TO CRY ...My DAD gonna cry soon lol .. anyway bro .. not sure abt main seal .. i just changed my both side velve cover gasket and thats it ... i think u saw lil oil .. there due to engine oil change i guess its nothing to worry abt !

IIRC, the rear main seal (the expensive one) starts as a slow (very slow) leak, but it's possible to drive on it for a year without hurting anything as long as you make sure you keep your oil topped off, doesn't sound like that. i have more coolant under my car from a cracked coolant tank than I do from my bad rear main seal. both are negligable (and coolant tank is now replaced).

Hello,

termin8or

Sometimes during an oil change the "gasket" that goes around the drain plug "bolt" gets torn by the tech and you have to replace it.

I bought this car about 2 months ago. It has a clean carfax and was/is a clean gold edition and was owned by a doctor in Chicago. I knew it had a PS leak (fixable, no biggie). I drove it for about 1K before changing the oil. I didn't notice any oil leaks on the driveway during that first 1000 miles. I changed the oil myself and I'm usually pretty through. I had ask the guy about oil leaks and he only mentioned a PS leak. He seemed honest and I have no reason to believe that a Dr would lie. who knows though.

Anyway. I had an Impala SS that had an intake manafold that was loose and would leak oil down the back of the block during hard acceleration. It took a rounds of tightening but the leak finally stopped after using locktight. I wonder if its the same thing? Perhaps it will just be a loose oil drain plug. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hello,

termin8or

If there is anything that I hope new people learn from me and my posts on this site is that: DON'T over react! It's not a cheap car to own, BUT it gets down right expensive if you over react from the get go. Trust me, In terms of repairs, let's just say I've gone to NYC via LA several times,so to speak. Term, my guess is that your drain plug probably needs a new crush washer gasket. I'd start there. If the previous owner had the car's oil changed at the quicky-lubes, then you could be getting close to having stripped out threads in your drain plug. Mine were soooo bad, that it was like 10lb's of torque, and out they went. Walmart did it, and they split the bill with me to have the lower oil pan replaced. It's that NYC via LA thing, could of had it retapped, but didn't want to risk it, and with them paying half, a new lower pan and seal was a deal at $250, via Lexus dealership.

Question, have you switched over to full synthetic recently?

Hello,

termin8or

tell u the truth im fed up with lexus peace of !Removed! ....so does my dad new 2000ls400...thats a great waste we ever have done ....i will never recomnd anyone to buy lexus...........................i send mine to junkyard yesterday .and guess what ppl asking me its looks great.. why u doin it lol---i offer em free they stll dont want it so good buy to lexus...u buy lexus u dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... agree or disagree aint matter ... soon or leater u will die .. never buy a used lexusssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss DID YOU GUYS HEARD NEVER BUY A USED LEXUS ...................IF U DO BE READY TO CRY ...My DAD gonna cry soon lol .. anyway bro .. not sure abt main seal .. i just changed my both side velve cover gasket and thats it ... i think u saw lil oil .. there due to engine oil change i guess its nothing to worry abt !

Ah, OK, whatever you say dude. Guess we won't be seeing you around here anymore. Take care :cheers:

just got the car 3K ago. I changed the oil with dino oil. I got under there and it's absolutely not coming from the oil plug. I think I will need to get the car in the air to tell for certain. I am seeing drips where the trans mounts...bad. I also put in some Bars "Main Seal Conditioner", no luck.

just got the car 3K ago. I changed the oil with dino oil. I got under there and it's absolutely not coming from the oil plug. I think I will need to get the car in the air to tell for certain. I am seeing drips where the trans mounts...bad. I also put in some Bars "Main Seal Conditioner", no luck.

termin8or:

Check around your oil filter. I'm too lazy to change my oil myself, so I take it to..........well you know who. Sometimes (more like most of the time) the high schoolers don't wipe off all of the oil that runs down the block when they remove the old filter. So, I get home & the old oil drip, drip, drips on my nice exposed aggregate driveway. :censored:

I just re-read your previous post. Did you run a little fresh oil around the rubber gasket on the new filter before you installed it? That will keep the gasket from binding as you cinch down the new filter. Pretty basic stuff, I know. Just thought I'd ask.

thats what i do every time i change oil. thread has gone bad in my oil pan but its really hard to change it and expensive, so i got oil bolt washers from the dealer 25c each and used a bolt from the towncar, then i apply silicon around the whole and my car does not leak anymore:)

Ahh, one of the many little washers and rubber rings that I too faced about two years ago. If you're seeing oil dripping around your tranny mount, then it's coming from higher up in the engine area, or, the ever sneaky tiny rubber o-ring that seats between the dipstick tube, and the engine. They cost like $1.50, little o-ring about the size of your pinky finger. They sit between the tube shaft of your dipstick, and the engine. Mine was leaking too, and man was I HOT about it, especially since it just came from the dealership for the lower oil pan. Turned out to be that tube seal. I think they charged me a wopping $36 bucks for the repair. No leaks since. The ring just wears out over time, all the wiggling around of the tube with checking the oil just wears it out.

Rob/NC I am starting to get worried about you..LOL..just a friend seeing a strange avitar and concerened the jam is missing the plate. We up Hammer? :whistles: Love U Guy...:cheers:

Hahaha... Got too much going on these days in my world, trying to figure it all out I guess. Had the house painted last week, which meant all the screens had to come out, and window insets. This weeks chores are to paint the insets to match and repair the back deck railing where it came loose from the painting crew. Someday I'll get back to the car, which needs a little attention in the engine area. Got a bearing sound going on, thinking it's the fan clutch starting to creak. And, I think those rear carrier bushing replacements the dealership put on about 35k miles ago are worn out again, got a very loose tail end these days, car feels loose. Oh, and the subwoofer I just got from DC, that had been sitting in our big box portion of the mailbox tree downstairs, that nobody told me about for weeks. Oh well.....

I do have some issues though and just yesterday I noticed sizable puddle of oil in the area of the oil drain plug.
Do you know if the crank seal has ever been changed? When mine was leaking, it would drizzle down the crossmember, and the fan would blow it all over the oil pan. I thought one of my oil pans was leaking, but I sat under the car while it was running, and I saw what was happening.