Driving W/parking Brake

es3OO

Hello ES300 Forum. Yesterday i was parked on a steep incline, so i engaged my parking brake. When leaving the steep incline, i forgot to release the parking brake, and drove for about 20' before i realized the brake was still on. Does anyone know what kind of damage i might have caused? A freind of mine had previously made the same mistake with his ES, and he had to get a synoid(sp?) replaced. In his case, his car would refuse to accelerate, with only the RPMs increasing/decreasing. My car does not exhibit any problems at the moment. :unsure:

i wouldnt recommend you doing that again.it will mess up the whole parking brake and it will cost you some money.they are only for when you park the car and never for anything else.if your not hearing any sqealing then your probably ok but dont do it anymore because it will mess it up.

yikes.... i ive done that .... but usually immediately realized it...

you def ganna have to get your parking brake readjusted... that doesnt cost much at all ... as long as there is no damage.... did you pull you brake up all the way ?

it makes a big differance whether or not the thing was up all the way

cause if it was and you were driving without any realization, maybe the parkingbrake was messed up in the first place

i realized the parking brake was still on when i happened to glance at my instrument panel and having the RED brake light staring at me...i did pull it up all the way after my realization, but i did drive about 20' with the parking brake firmly in it's engaged state

20 feet is nothing to worry about the brake should readjust itself with in a few times of reversing and using the regualr brakes

that's why they call it emergency brakes also

it is still designed to bring the car to a stop ,although very slowly it still can take the movement

sk said it best and beat me to it. :P

I hate the parking brake on the 02. It is just a parking brake.

It is the worst design possible. Step on to engage and then step on it again to disengage. You can't use this type to assist in stopping like a hand brake with release button. You can't work the pedal and hold the release with your hand to prevent lock up of the pedal like in a GS.

poor design on the 02+ parking brake. :angry:

steviej

Yea, don't worry about 20 feet. Seems like almost every time i let somebody else drive my car, they don't understand how to work the darn parking brake (Why Lexus changed the 97 to a foot pedal brake from its origional hand brake on the gen 1, i guess we'll never know) I just got new brakes on and let my Girlfriend take my car and i specifically said "Remember the PARKING BRAKE on the left by your foot!" Well i got a call from her shortly after "im around the corner, how do i turn this thing off????" :blink: Anyway, she went more than 20 feet and my parking brake is just fine. Our cars can take a lot of crap sometimes and thats why we love em!

~Brian~