Should I Buy 2007 Rx350 Or Highlander?

RX's and Highlanders are mechanically the same and that goes for creaks and rattles that develop over time too.

This I don't agree with. The RX is built to Lexus built tolerances which are significantly tighter than Toyota's. The gaps between panels and doors etc are all tighter, and the tolerances for warping and bolt slippage (what causes rattles) over time are also tighter. The RX is less likely to develop squeaks and rattles over time than the RX.

Because of that I could probably be equally satisfied with a mini-van with a roof rack (I can hear people gasping, "Well Jeez, that PROVES this guy's got no taste!")

LOL! In all honestly, I can understand the desire to have a minivan over an SUV. Minivans have a lot of advantages:

1. More carlike ride

2. Better fuel economy

3. More carrying capacity (flat vs contoured floorpan)

4. More adaptable seating

If I had even one child, we absolutely would have a minivan.

Based on what you've said here, personally my feeling would be the extra money for the RX would be a waste for you.

SW, IMHO, from the loaners I've had vs my RX300, seems like a lot of the new RXs have more rattles. I've encountered dash rattles (both in RX300 and RX330/350s), and a rear door rattle(RX330/350), plus the tonneau cover on the RX330s and 350s.

Although i'd agree that the quality is tighter on Lexus than Toyota vehicles. I can compare them side by side now and even though my GX has 46k miles on it, seems like the sidings, and doors, and everything seems tighter than the 4Runner's . But the 4Runner so far doesn't have any rattles or squeaks. I've been in a Sienna shuttle at my dealership, and at 3k miles, a lot of things are rattling already! Where the car was built could probably be a big factor on hardware quality too.... <_< :)

P.S. SW, in your "The RX is less likely to develop squeaks and rattles over time than the RX." statement, you gotta change the last RX to Highlander. lol. If only I had permission to change it in this forum, I would have done it but I dont. :(

SW, IMHO, from the loaners I've had vs my RX300, seems like a lot of the new RXs have more rattles. I've encountered dash rattles (both in RX300 and RX330/350s), and a rear door rattle(RX330/350), plus the tonneau cover on the RX330s and 350s.

There's TSBs to fix those rattles though, they just don't have them done on the loaners.

I've been in a Sienna shuttle at my dealership, and at 3k miles, a lot of things are rattling already!

Those things are beat to hell though.

P.S. SW, in your "The RX is less likely to develop squeaks and rattles over time than the RX." statement, you gotta change the last RX to Highlander. lol. If only I had permission to change it in this forum, I would have done it but I dont. :(

Oops! I'll fix it.

Those things are beat to hell though.

Well I was a little surprised they are badly beaten up at 3k miles only. ;)

Well same thing goes for the loaners that they too get beaten up pretty badly i guess. I mean, what i meant by more rattles is that the vehicles come with more rattles from factory, compared to what my RX300 had. I really think Lexus would have TSBs because otherwise people will be discouraged with their RX and probably go to BMW or Benz. :wacko: :)

OK, my first attempt at kicking the tires on a new RX didn't go so well. I went to pick up my 2000 RX after getting the body control module replaced ($812.47, less than their quote over the phone) and thought I'd take a peek at the new RX350. I stood in the middle of the showroom for a full seven minutes. I was the only customer in the place. At least eight employees walked past me without saying a word. I saw several people sitting in cubicles and made eye-contact with two but they continued to work at their computers. I thought of asking for help but I was curious exactly how long before someone would ask, "Have you been helped?" It never happened.

I've heard of low-pressure selling but here it was on life support! I finally gave up, took my tired RX300 and went home. I would have expected this level of service from a doctor at 2:45 on a Wednesday afternoon but I thought that car salespeople in the midst of a sales drought might be a bit hungrier. Guess not...

Bob

It depends on the dealership. Theres a Mercedes dealer here where the salespeople aren't allowed to speak to people in the dealership unless spoken to, I find it weird too.

I mean, low pressure is good, but no pulse is not good LOL

It depends on the dealership. Theres a Mercedes dealer here where the salespeople aren't allowed to speak to people in the dealership unless spoken to, I find it weird too.

I mean, low pressure is good, but no pulse is not good LOL

I went to a MB and a BMW dealership that was like that...I was like what the h*ll. We walked around looked at a couple of cars and...no salespeople? I actually really liked it. When we saw the car that my wife liked...we went in and talked to the salesmen. But I will tell you this much they almost tackled us when we came in. The other MB dealership that we ended up buying from...gave us just enough time. Looked at the car and then "Hi guys, please let me know if you need anything or you would like to see the keys to any of the cars...my name is James" handed us a card...Perfect. Not a whole bunch of B.S. later found out he has worked selling MB for 20 years.

"Hi guys, please let me know if you need anything or you would like to see the keys to any of the cars...my name is James" handed us a card...Perfect. Not a whole bunch of B.S. later found out he has worked selling MB for 20 years.

Thats a much better way to do it than just ignoring people, often the ignoring deal comes across as disinterest.

"Hi guys, please let me know if you need anything or you would like to see the keys to any of the cars...my name is James" handed us a card...Perfect. Not a whole bunch of B.S. later found out he has worked selling MB for 20 years.

Thats a much better way to do it than just ignoring people, often the ignoring deal comes across as disinterest.

I agree...the other approach gives the impression that the salespeople are either too...good...or that we are not good enough.

I have never experienced a dealership that doesnt have AT LEAST 1 salesperson coming up to me. Mercedes, BMW, they all were hungry to sell me something! Only dealer that I think the sales people dont mind me might be my Honda dealer(which I've been to for the last maybe at least 8 years) because they know once they see me or my dad or both of us looking at their cars they know we're not going to buy unless we tell them we're interested. :) ;)

when my wife and i started considering a suv, because of having 3 large dogs, we looked at both. we ended up with the highlander because it was slightly bigger, which made a difference to us. our highlander has every available option and accessory and short of no memory seats we find it very nice.

The Highlander (current 1st gen) is bigger than the RX330/350 IMO because it is basically still an Rx300 (except the bigger engine and a few more gizmos) which I think is a lot roomier than the current one. The sloping rear quarter panel makes the RX330/350 shorter in overall height inside and out and to me seems like a bigger blind spot compared to the Rx300 ;)

Edited by denslexusgx470

if you read articles like car and driver's latest on the 350 (a good one btw) they describe the styling as "coupe like" lol. its hardly coupe like, but it is more sleek than the 300. actually, when my leased ended on my rx300 and i had to buy this rx330, the sales woman told me that the 300 was 7 inches shorter than the 330. So no, the new RX is bigger, but apparently not as big as the highlander.

if you read articles like car and driver's latest on the 350 (a good one btw) they describe the styling as "coupe like" lol. its hardly coupe like, but it is more sleek than the 300. actually, when my leased ended on my rx300 and i had to buy this rx330, the sales woman told me that the 300 was 7 inches shorter than the 330. So no, the new RX is bigger, but apparently not as big as the highlander.

I have the brochures (North American version).

The 2006 Hylander is 184.6 inches (185.4 inches for the hybrid).

The RX300 is 180.3 inches and the RX330 is 186.2 inches and the RX 350 is 186.2 inches.

Info available on msn.com auto tab also