Should I Buy 2007 Rx350 Or Highlander?

Having just committed to spend $850 to repair my 2000 RX300, I'm now getting ready to replace it. I wouldn't even consider getting another RX except for the fact that they've fixed my biggest gripe: the horrible turning radius. But I'd like some thoughts on whether I should get a 2007 RX350 or a 2007 Toyota Highlander. I like the Highlander's styling better than the RX350 and the option of seating for 7 is appealing (although not a critical buying factor). And neither the snob appeal of a Lexus nor its higher price are really a consideration for me. But it doesn't appear that I'd be able to get all of the features that I've come to appreciate on my dated RX300 if I get the Highlander (e.g., no key-operated window rolldown, a great benefit in Sacramento's hot summers).

Can anyone offer any additional arguments in favor of the Lexus 350 over the Highlander?

Thanks,

Bob

I wouldn't buy any Toyota or Lexus FWD or front biased AWD (FWD platform based) product until it becaomes exceedingly clear that the engine/transaxle delay hesitation problem/symptom, which seems to randomly occur, has been fixed.

You'd have to find this out, but does the 07 Highlander upgrade to the 3.5L engine too? Or does it still have the 3.3...Might be something to check into for HP & gas mileage etc.

And does the Highlander have NAVI as an option? don't know if you're interested in that.

But i wouldn't spend thousands more for a car i didn't like the looks of, JUST to roll my windows down :P

You should also go test drive both of them if you haven't already. Feel the difference between the Rx and the Highlander, as far as comfort and quietness goes. Things like the quality of the leatther and design of the interior parts are much better on the Rx.

If you've got the extra, go with the RX. If you're keeping this car for a long time, you'll want to pick the one you can live with for the longest time.

Good luck :)

Highlander (V6) has the new 3.5 L. Now a Lexus is a Lexus. Different from a Toyota in many aspects (can now compare it side by side with my GX and 4Runner). Now if you dont like the RX's design, but want a roll down window of some sort for your weather (it's hotter here in Fresno) then either get a Sequoia, or 4Runner, or Tundra Double Cab. Those have the roll down windows in the back, and that's the only thing you can roll down with the keyless remote. ;)

If your only reason for replacing your RX is that it cost you $850 in repairs the answer is easy, don't replace it.

As cars get older (Yours is now 7 model years old, believe it or not). An occasional repair on a car that old is not unreasonable, and its going to be exceedingly cheaper than buying a new one. What was the $850 repair for? That doesn't seem expensive to me at all to fix an issue on an otherwise good running and enjoyable car. Did you have it done at Lexus? If so it could have been done for probably 1/3rd that cost.

Now, if you want new features and new styling etc, thats one thing.

As for the RX350 vs the Highlander I'd always buy the RX350 because of:

1. Lexus style (style isn't always about snob appeal)

2. Better service (owning a Lexus and a Toyota myself, FAR better service)

3. Better warranty

4. Better value retention

5. Less issues with rattles and age related degredation

6. Smoother, quieter ride.

7. More features

8. Better staying power (your 7 year old Lexus is still a stylish and contemporary vehicle, a 7 year old Toyota not so much)

For me, it would be easy to make the price difference worth it. For you it may not be.

Have you looked at the Infiniti FX35?

Although in the long run, it's a lot cheaper to maintain a Toyota compared to a Lexus. The prices of the services are definitely cheaper, and speaking about extended warranty. It's like $2k for extended Lexus warranty, while Toyota's is about $800-$1000.

Besides, a $850 repair isn't much (as SW mentioned). I remember my dad was spending lots of money on the wear and tear of the odyssey ($400 here, $650 there, another $850 on something else, $500, etc etc) , and the only time he ever mentioned (or us, really) about getting a new one, was when the dealer said that it has early signs of tranny problems, which would cost about $5000 parts and labor. I would imagine if someone told you that you had a $5000 bill on a repair, I'd think you'd trade that car into the dealer at that moment and get whatever new car that is on the lot. lol. ;)

Think of it this way, you spend money on repairs. Fine, so let's do the math. So $850 for a repair. Any more? Let's say you spent, oh $1500 on repairs this year for your RX. Now let's compute a Highlander LEASE for one year. The figures that were given to me were about $320 (just a V6, w/homelink, alarm, and DRL) and $3,000 down. (Imagine what a Highlander LTD w/Nav lease would be.... :wacko: )

$320 a month

x

12 months

=

$3,840 (for the first year)

So in a 3 year lease, you're looking at $11,520.

Now let's say you spent $1500 this year, $2000 next year, and two years from now, $2500. Add that up, that's about only $6000(in a span of 3 years). So It's your call, but so far, aside from new features like better turning radius, Nav, or simply just sick of your RX, it's not really worth selling it and getting a new one. ;)

Although in the long run, it's a lot cheaper to maintain a Toyota compared to a Lexus. The prices of the services are definitely cheaper, and speaking about extended warranty. It's like $2k for extended Lexus warranty, while Toyota's is about $800-$1000.

I don't agree. Yes, Lexus service is more expensive, but you don't have to have the car serviced at Lexus! In fact, you can have it serviced at most Toyota dealers and then the cost to maintain the Lexus and Toyota become PRECISELY the same.

As for the warranty, warranty prices vary. I paid $1600 for my Lexus new car extended warranty, the warranty on the Prius is like $1400. Not a whole lot of difference there, plus the Lexus original bumper to bumper warranty is a year or 14,000 miles longer to start with.

As for cost of repairs vs a new one you're spot on. Everyone always says "now its going to start needing repairs, I have to get another one", well the car has to need a LOT of repairs before its cost effective to replace it for that reason.

Some very useful thoughts...thanks to those who replied. But I should clarify a few things. First, I'm not trading in my Lexus because of repair costs. As someone stated, repairing an old car is ALWAYS going to be more economical than buying a new one. But leading up to this latest repair were a series of dead batteries, intermittently over six months, that were really inconvenient. While new cars typically have their share of problems, I think I'll experience fewer inconveniences with a new car than an old one. In the same vein, warranty differences are not much of a consideration in my buying decision.

As for style, my wife has two cars that I enjoy driving based on their style (Jaguar XK8 and S-type). I don't mean to offend, but I don't think it's possible to design a really attractive SUV...nature of the beast. I just happen to think that the Highlander is less ugly than the RX...my taste, FWIW. I'd be more than hypocritical to say that I couldn't buy an RX because it's ugly when I've driven one for the past seven years.

I've driven the Highlander (a friend's) and a 2005 RX (sister's) and they're both fine cars. They both have a great ride but this won't be the car we'll typically take when going out on the town. My wife has frequently referred to my RX as "my truck", because I use it to haul all manner of junk home from Home Depot.

So all this might give you a better idea of where my priorities lie in considering my next SUV.

Would like to hear any other thoughts, including those who've had experiences with both vehicles.

Bob

I would rather keep my old ford exploder than drive a highlander i dislike the plain jane styling of that vehicle so much. (never mind its plasticy interior and center stack that makes a russian bag lady look stylish by comparison) It is an interesting dichotomy to me that you have the elegance of jaguar in your driveway and still love the highlander, however variety does make the world go round. The one redeeming feature the highlander has is its more squared off rear hatch that does allow it to carry more volume. You also could purchase a highlander hybrid and get the best SUV drive train toyota has ever made with the body style you say you like so well. The third row seat is almost not useable and takes up more space than adds value. Also the current highlander design is so dated many of us thought it would be redesigned this year and surely will next, do you want to buy the last year of a model run?

Not only will you appreciate the window feature you desire in the rx350 (or 400h for that matter) the integrated bluetooth in the nav system, automatic rear hatch and rain sensing wipers are small but meaningful options the highlander doesnt offer. Do yourself a favor and at least test drive the hybrid system in the 400h or the highland hybrid, you wont go back once you taste the true combination of speed, fuel economy, low emissions and solitude they offer.

P. S. if not for your sake but for your wifes, why do you want her to be seen in something so ugly as a highlander when you can drive her in the elegance of a 350 or 400h?

if this was my situation...i wouldnt even consider the highlander. Mostly because i enjoy the class lexus brings when i go out...and im pretty sure you enjoy some part of it as well, no matter how small.

the highlander is ugly first of all...lol...which is funny that you like it better than the RX. the interior is ugly as well. on the website, it still says that the 06 highlander has the 3.3 liter so its hard to say if they will put the 3.5 in. I dont know...the only toyota i have ever owned and still own is a sienna. Granted that thing is long, it creaks when you drive it...sounds like its going to fall apart any second. That doesnt give me much of a good reason to tell people to buy toyotas. also, the service at toyota is absolutely horrible. No car washes, which is a big turnoff. Not even a proper sitting area in san francisco, no loaners, no refreshments.

buy the RX, you will like it better. and no navi in the highlander as well. also if you buy it now, redesign should be coming out soon.

you cant go back to toyota after youve driven a lexus

Let me add my 2 cents quickly. Cost is not an issue from your post. Your only gripe about the RX are the turning radius (fixed) and styling. Styling is always in the eye of the beholder so if you think HL is better then HL gets a point on that battle. HL is for value+quality type buyer and RX for value+quality+pampering, IMO. I take that you're more into pampering based on your post so I think your car should be the RX. Good Luck!!

Let me add my 2 cents quickly. Cost is not an issue from your post. Your only gripe about the RX are the turning radius (fixed) and styling. Styling is always in the eye of the beholder so if you think HL is better then HL gets a point on that battle. HL is for value+quality type buyer and RX for value+quality+pampering, IMO. I take that you're more into pampering based on your post so I think your car should be the RX. Good Luck!!

P. S. if not for your sake but for your wifes, why do you want her to be seen in something so ugly as a highlander when you can drive her in the elegance of a 350 or 400h?

Oh come on, the Highlander may be plain but its not ugly. Different strokes for different folks.

I dont know...the only toyota i have ever owned and still own is a sienna. Granted that thing is long, it creaks when you drive it...sounds like its going to fall apart any second. That doesnt give me much of a good reason to tell people to buy toyotas.

Thats actually not true, you own three Toyotas. You own a Toyota Sienna, a Toyota Altezza, and a Toyota Harrier. Lexus are Toyotas, until 2001 the glass was even stamped "Toyota". True, Toyotas aren't built to the exacting standards for quality and fit as Lexus, using materials as high grade as Lexus, or produced in predominantly Japanese plants like Lexus, but Toyotas long running reputation for quality and reliability is well earned. In fact, your "creaky" Sienna and your RX even run on the same platform and have basically the same engine, same with the Highlander, ES, Camry, Avalon, Solara...

Saying you'd never reccomend anyone buy a Toyota when you have two Lexuses is a joke.

also, the service at toyota is absolutely horrible. No car washes, which is a big turnoff. Not even a proper sitting area in san francisco, no loaners, no refreshments.

The service at Toyota varies from dealer to dealer, just like it does from Lexus. Plenty of people have horrible Lexus service experiences. My Toyota dealer gives loaners, and will wash cars free of charge if you ask. I actually prefer this as I demand no wash from Lexus because they can't wash a car without scraping it up. My dealer has a huge waiting area with TVs and wireless internet.

Servicing a Toyota is just not a luxurious experience thats all, the surroundings aren't fancy, the people aren't butt kissey, you get a dirty crappy little loaner, its like servicing any other midmarket car, Ford, Honda etc. its not absolutely horrible. Its staying at a Comfort Inn vs a Sheraton thats al.

Monta- You should look at the Infiniti FX35. If I were buying a crossover SUV, I'd buy an FX35 over a Highlander or an RX350.

It's just you're opinion on which you like better. I'm just into the luxury feel and look which i don't see at all in the Highlander. The interior is out dated and it just looks like a "toyota".

I mean, the Toyota will last just as long as the Lexus, but it just doesn't give the feel of "luxury"

But if these things don't matter to you, go with the Toyota...

lol lexkid you highlighted the most inportant part

"it looks like a toyota"

as for what swo3es says...NO i will not admit i drive three toyotas! :P :lol:

i really dont care about the engine, nor the platform, as long as i feel good in it and as long as its well put together. the point i was making was car shouldnt creak when you drive over bumps or make a turn.

How old is your Sienna? Have you ever thought about getting the creak looked at? Toyotas have very solid body structure and I know plenty of people with older Camries and Siennas, no creaking. They don't age as well as a Lexus, but even a Lexus will get old and creaky eventually.

LOL its not normal! Take it to the dealer its under warranty.

Would you think your RX should creak? Why would your Sienna? They do share several suspension components. Because its a Toyota? 90% of the world's inhabitants drive non-luxury cars, just because a car is not expensive doesn't mean it should creak.

Whoa, I never thought folks could get so passionate about the "beauty" and "luxury" of a Sports UTILITY Vehicle! Perhaps if you have only one car, you need it to serve a multitude of purposes, e.g., taking you to the lumber yard, the opera and off-roading. But if that's the case, you have to recognize that such universality entails compromises. I'll acknowedge that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I can't imagine entering an SUV into a beauty contest with sedans. SUVs are big, boxy, bulky, tall...all the things that make them UTILITarian make them far from beautiful. And while the appointments, fit and finish of "luxury" SUVs may put them way ahead of your basic Hyundai sedan, I don't think you could ever mistake riding in a luxury SUV for riding in a luxury sedan.

I can't imagine complaining about Corinthian leather seats and a burlwood dash in my SUV but first and foremost, I'm looking for a reliable, comfortable, practical, utilitarian vehicle. Clearly, a number of those posting here are looking for status and luxury. And if that's ALL they're looking for, they really ought to look at luxury sedans...virtually ANY luxury sedan. But if they need the more practical aspects of an SUV, and necessarily have to have everything in one car, I guess that'll necessarily rule out the Highlander.

Again, thanks for the spirited input. I did pick up some useful perspectives. Now I better go out and kick some tires...

Bob

i understand where u are coming from , my other car is a ford cargo van so the rx is about as luxurious as it gets for me. ive seen some handsome highlander hybrids in my neighborhood... how bout it bob

I can't imagine complaining about Corinthian leather seats and a burlwood dash in my SUV but first and foremost, I'm looking for a reliable, comfortable, practical, utilitarian vehicle.

If thats the case, I'd even surmise that the Highlander is too much vehicle. I'd look at a lower level model Ford Explorer or something like that, you'll save a lot of money. Most people looking at Highlanders and RX's aren't looking for utility at all, they're not geared for utility.

Clearly, a number of those posting here are looking for status and luxury. And if that's ALL they're looking for, they really ought to look at luxury sedans...virtually ANY luxury sedan. But if they need the more practical aspects of an SUV, and necessarily have to have everything in one car, I guess that'll necessarily rule out the Highlander.

Having owned an expensive SUV ($35k Ford Explorer Limited) and now a luxury sedan, I agree for the most part. However, there are a lot of things about driving the SUV I miss, like the all weather drivability, the high seating position, the high ride height, the room for traveling etc. It used to be true that SUVs didn't ride as well as luxury sedans, but with the advent of these crossover vehicles like the RX (which is on a car frame), that becomes a moot point really. The RX rides extremely well and is extremely quiet, the FX35 I mentioned is very sporty and handles as well as many sport sedans (again, car frame).

I would look at luxury crossover SUVs like the RX instead of a sedan next time.

The RX and FX, Acura MDX, etc have more in common with luxury sedans than they do SUVs.

I was looking at the RX350 and the Highlander's websites and it was interesting to me actually how close they are in price when you compare option for option. However, there are quite a few options that you just can't even get on the Highlander that you can on the RX350, like HID lights, Bluetooth Nav, and the awesome Mark Levingson stereo, not to mention the window roll down feature. Personally the RX just looks better inside and out than the Highlander. I wouldn't really consider either to be much of a "utility" SUV, but I don't really think that is why you shop in this segment. Our 01' RX300 is really for my wife, and although she is really not a snob (really) she does prefer a Lexus over a Toyota (and we've had 2 Camry's, a Supra, and a couple of pickups to compare - oh and an EB Ford Explorer). It's hard for one person to tell another what to buy, but if it was me and price was not factor - RX350.

Theres more to liking the Lexus than being a snob, for me personally its appreciating the smoothness and the refinement that the car exudes in everything it does, every movement it makes is extremely graceful and smooth.

As for snobbishness, thats more attracted to the BMW and Mercedes of the world.

i would also agree that the Rx and highlander are not off roadish utility vehicles. THink of them as sedans with larger wheels. I dont go off roading, not even skiing regularly, but i bought one so i have a better view of the road. not to mention an occasional shopping spree at costco.

RX's and Highlanders are mechanically the same and that goes for creaks and rattles that develop over time too. Only the cosemetics between the two vehicles are slightly different and everyone must make up their own mind whether the differences are worth the substantial price difference

I ran prices on the RX350 and Highlander on carsdirect.com, where I've purchased my last two cars. Equipped the way I would want them, the RX price was about 24% higher. Edmunds.com shows the cost of ownership for the RX (including depreciation) to be about 20% higher. If I ultimately find my decision to be a toss-up, I guess I'd let cost be the decider.

Regarding some of the comments regarding the definition of utility: for me, utility is 1) hauling materials (life-long Home Depot and Costco addict), ski trips (less of an issue now since I'm retired and have become a fair-weather skier) and hauling visitors (when we have more than five house guests). My RX has never set wheel off-road so that aspect of utility isn't relevant to me. Because of that I could probably be equally satisfied with a mini-van with a roof rack (I can hear people gasping, "Well Jeez, that PROVES this guy's got no taste!") but that would probably test the limits of my wife's tolerance for embarassment by her declasse husband.

As for the contribution of RX features such as HID lights, Bluetooth NAV and the stereo, those are insignificant for me based on my use of the car, although I can readily acknowledge that they might be make-or-break factors for others.

I guess all my initial inquiry has proven is that there is no best choice...only a best choice for me (and you). But again, I appreciate the perspectives you've shared.

Bob