Gas Tank Problem

hern

I drive 99 ES300. Everytime I click the gas button to pop the lid, it will not open. If i wedge a key in between almost prying it open and then click the gas button itll open. What do I need to adjust inside the door to fix this where when I click the button it will pop open?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Hern

Lube the pin as it is dirty with pb blaster or white grease and work the pin in and out with your hand.

What does this pin look like and where it located on it if I were to open it?

Thanks

Lube the pin as it is dirty with pb blaster or white grease and work the pin in and out with your hand.

What does this pin look like and where it located on it if I were to open it?

Thanks

It's the hinge where the gas door pivots. A very simple fix. :)

There's probably a little spring loaded latch pin that moves when you click the opener. Make sure that's clean and free. There's also maybe a coil spring that pops the little door open, so make sure there's tension on that when you try to close the door.

I am talking about the small pin that releases the door not the hinge.

Spray it with a lube then push it in and out to loosen it . Then spray it and wipe it some more then pull the emergency cable release in the trunk to loosen the full mechanism.

Spray it with a lube then push it in and out to loosen it . Then spray it and wipe it some more then pull the emergency cable release in the trunk to loosen the full mechanism.

If I were to pop open the tank, where would it be located if you had to describe? Sorry I am very not smart with cars.

If I were to pop open the tank, where would it be located if you had to describe? Sorry I am very not smart with cars.

In the trunk to the left!!, yellow cord, opposite the gas tank

On another note, it could be just a blown fuse, I have a 99 ES and this recently happened to me, the gas door and trunk lid opener were both not working suddenly. Fuse # 37 (25 amps) was blown, new fuse corrected it.

Could also be the spring which pops the door open when latch is pulled.

Mine was doing exact same thing but it wasn't the release tap which was broken it was the spring. Had a friend "make" me a new new one and has been fine ever since

Mine was doing exact same thing but it wasn't the release tap which was broken it was the spring. Had a friend "make" me a new new one and has been fine ever since

When I mentioned the hinge in a previous post was because I had the same problem that was caused by the hinge binding somewhat. I had to lubricate the hinge and work the door back and forth until it moved easily.

• 7 months later...

Hello, my gas door won't open. found out that the spring loaded to pop it open is broken. any suggestion on replacing it? TIA

Hello, my gas door won't open. found out that the release tab to pop it open is broken. any suggestion on replacing it? TIA

any suggestion on the replacement of a broken release tab? TIA

Hello, my gas door won't open. found out that the spring loaded to pop it open is broken. any suggestion on replacing it? TIA

Let's clarify here a little: the spring = the clip that pushes the door open

the click button triggers to release the latch.

I had the same problem just tonight. When push to click button, I heard the clicking sound. I knew that the spring is broken. I have to improvise something quick or can't fill up. I went to get a couple pieces of paper (in my case lottery ticket slips) and slide them into the upper right corner of the door to give a little leverage. Then push the click button = wowa. . works wonder. :rolleyes: The broken spring = click fell right out.

You can also ask someone to push the door for you while pushing the click button.