Dad Wont Lemme Get Permit

indiasfinest

my dad wont lemme get a permit because he says it will cost him a fotune on insurance and i will be tempted to drive my friends car. since we drive a 745 and GX470, it will cost a lot on insurance, especailly for a teen. is there any way out of this high insurance cost that would convince my dad to lemme get a permit?

my dad wont lemme get a permit because he says it will cost him a fotune on insurance and i will be tempted to drive my friends car. since we drive a 745 and GX470, it will cost a lot on insurance, especailly for a teen. is there any way out of this high insurance cost that would convince my dad to lemme get a permit?

I didn't put my kids on the insurance until they got their licenses. I called the insurance company & they stated i didn't need to until they drove alone.

My daughter got her permit on her 16th birthday in May. She gets the license 6 months later; that's when she'll get added to out insurance.

Hmm... is this not good? LOL

ic ic...yah we had this really long talk, and he did spit out that insurance wouldnt be needed until your liscence...but th eonly reason i wont get one is because i done need one, which i hate to admit it, its true. he just think ill get tempted to race knowing that my friends wont be driving V8s. but does n e one know how much insurance would run for, for the GX470? just curious

well the thing is you dont need to put yourself as a primary driver, just an all around type of driver...which means it will be lower. my son's insurance on a rx330/is300/Siennia/mercedes is about $1500 for 6 months. which may seem like a lot. It has gone down since we started hallf a year ago.

btw, a GX wont be good for racing :D V8 means nothing when it ways that much

ic ic...yah we had this really long talk, and he did spit out that insurance wouldnt be needed until your liscence...but th eonly reason i wont get one is because i done need one, which i hate to admit it, its true. he just think ill get tempted to race knowing that my friends wont be driving V8s. but does n e one know how much insurance would run for, for the GX470? just curious

Well legally, you have to have a permit or license to drive. And you can't get your license until you've had a permit for at least 6 months. You want to get the permit ASAP; that means you'll get your license sooner! ;)

And the price all depends... Depends on how many people are on your "plan" already, & their driving records.

If you get into accidents & get speeding tickets the rates will be very high. My son has been in 5 accidents since he's been driving, and he's on the insurance with my wife, first daughter and me :angry: You don't even want to know what we're paying! :angry:

Doesn't really matter how much it will be to have your parents add you; it needs to be done :unsure: Sometimes taking driving training & getting good grades in school can reduce this price. Bring that up in arguement :whistles:

its better for you to learn to drive when you are still living with your parents. its just safer for you to learn under their belt. if you learn during or after college, you will have no one to advise you on your skills and no one to stop you from wanting to race. also you will have to be driving more often and you will have little or no experience. but hey if waiting that long and teaching yourself how to drive is what you want go ahead.

indiasfinest-

There are many things that go into rating insurance. First off some companies use credit to put you in a tier, they also give discounts from everything from multi line, multi car, good grades, etc and so on...comparing insurance with someone else is not as easy as it sounds...different limits, coverage...when you have a young driver on a policy it is even that much harder. One of the biggest things is location. I would suggest asking your dad to call and get an "what if" quote on adding you to his policy...but to give you a guess on how much insurance would be on a GX you could be looking at anything from 1100 every 6 months or more...and that is just a guess in MD ( but most companies will assign you as a primary driver on a car and in some cases they do pick the most expensive or highest rated car on the policy ) That is important if you have more drivers than cars then you can be classified as a restricted driver meaning much much lower rates...

Tell your dad to call his agent and ask him to explain the best way to get a decent rate...I always tell people to tell your kids to get good grades and do not get any tickets! And carry as high of a deductible as you can afford on collision.

Good Luck...

:lol: :D

yea, but the GX is pretty fast for an SUV and it could probably beat some stock civics. there are two ppl on each cars, i get pretty good grades. but he just doesnt want to get me a car if i dont need one, much less a liscence. he said "when time comes, you will get a car". now how do i argue with that? lol. i will see when a good time is to ask that "what if" question to our insurance company. thanks for all your help guys

yea, but the GX is pretty fast for an SUV and it could probably beat some stock civics. there are two ppl on each cars, i get pretty good grades. but he just doesnt want to get me a car if i dont need one, much less a liscence. he said "when time comes, you will get a car". now how do i argue with that? lol. i will see when a good time is to ask that "what if" question to our insurance company. thanks for all your help guys

How old are you now? In RI you can take drivers ed (33 hours of book training) at 15 & 10 months. As soon as you turn 16 you can get your permit.

You really don't need your "own" car until you're 16 1/2 unless your parents want you to practice on the car you'll be driving on your own; that's how i feel personally.

yea, thats what my dad said, i dont need a car, and i dont need a liscence, i will be 15 in a couple months and thats when every one takes drivers ed. yea my dad is REALLY hard to persuade after hes made up his mind so only time can tell when i get a permit.

PS: its good to hear from you lexkid, its been a while

indiasfinest-

There are many things that go into rating insurance. First off some companies use credit to put you in a tier, they also give discounts from everything from multi line, multi car, good grades, etc and so on...comparing insurance with someone else is not as easy as it sounds...different limits, coverage...when you have a young driver on a policy it is even that much harder. One of the biggest things is location. I would suggest asking your dad to call and get an "what if" quote on adding you to his policy...but to give you a guess on how much insurance would be on a GX you could be looking at anything from 1100 every 6 months or more...and that is just a guess in MD ( but most companies will assign you as a primary driver on a car and in some cases they do pick the most expensive or highest rated car on the policy ) That is important if you have more drivers than cars then you can be classified as a restricted driver meaning much much lower rates...

Tell your dad to call his agent and ask him to explain the best way to get a decent rate...I always tell people to tell your kids to get good grades and do not get any tickets! And carry as high of a deductible as you can afford on collision.

Good Luck...

:lol: :D

Lex is totally right, there's no way we can tell you what kind of insurance costs you'd be looking at for sure, too many variables.

Since you have 2 cars though, and 3 drivers in my experience you wouldn't be primary driver, which would make the overall cost of insurance much lower. In MD (at least this is my experience, Lex will know better) if you have 2 drivers and 2 cars, one must be the primary on one car, no car can not have a primary. So your dad would be primary on one, your mom on the other, and you an occasional driver. $900-$1200 a year is my guess for you on top of what they're paying now.

As for your permit, thats something between you and your dad. Personally, I think driving is a right of passage and I would never restrict my children from being able to get their permits and licenses alongside their peers. I also personally believe that if you raise responsible children, these issues are much less of a problem. I dont know you, but I havent seen any evidence of your behavior here to make me think you aren't responsible.

My advice, talk to your dad. this isn't about insurance costs or money, he's afraid because you're growing up too fast and when you're out on your own in the car he can't protect you. You can get him over this if you keep working on him. Remind him that having your license is a right of passage, its important to you whether you ever drive or not.

Lex is totally right, there's no way we can tell you what kind of insurance costs you'd be looking at for sure, too many variables.

I just framed this on my wall! :cheers:

indiasfinest-

Best thing that you can do is show your father that you are responsible. If he knows that you will be responsible and he can trust you he will more than likely come around on the subject. One other idea...that you could try...

Tell him that you really want to get a car and that you would like to get a job to start saving some money up. Buy a old car that only needs liability insurance on it and that way it will not cost you too...much. That may make him think that you want to earn it...not just want it!

Hope it all works out! :D

Buy a old car that only needs liability insurance on it and that way it will not cost you too...much.

India, I don't know you either, nor your family's financial position. But I can tell you this: Next to a turbo engine, SUV and V8 engine w/ 16 year old behind the wheel, makes policy writers very nervous, especially if it's an expensive V8 SUV. Some won't even write a policy under those terms.

my advice, follow Lexirx330 advice and go with a used, dependible and cheap car for your first car. Make it a 4 banger too. The less sporty the car, the less risk seen by the insurance guys for operator trouble. When I was 16 "right around when electricty came out", my 1st car was 1987 VW Golf GT. It was basically the 85-86 GTI w/ the 8 valve, 1.8 liter 4. They had just come out with the 16v engine, so they bumped the "i" off of the GT for a year. The 8v and no "i" dropped my insurance premium by $45 a month. None the less, it was still $200 a month for me, and that's in 1989 dollars. I'm 33 now. Have a perfect record "for the past 14 years", drive a 95 LS400, $250 deductible, fully covered for everything....pay $40 a month for insurance through USAA "dad was airforce".

16 + V8 + SUV + Lexus = $$$$ to insure.

Eh, I dont think it would cost more to insure him in a GX than any other SUV...

I remember when I got my old Explorer when I turned 16, it would have been cheaper to insure me under my dad's Cadillac STS than under my Explorer (it was a $40k Limited but still). The type of car and the number of average claims is more important than the brand. Cadillacs have less claims than Explorers, so Cadillacs are cheaper.

My insurance went down significantly when I got the Lexus, and I wasn't 25 yet so it was just the car that made the difference. Lexus has less claims so its cheaper.

Lex- If you ever accuse me of saying that I'll deny it LOL :cheers:

Eh, I dont think it would cost more to insure him in a GX than any other SUV...

I remember when I got my old Explorer when I turned 16, it would have been cheaper to insure me under my dad's Cadillac STS than under my Explorer (it was a $40k Limited but still). The type of car and the number of average claims is more important than the brand. Cadillacs have less claims than Explorers, so Cadillacs are cheaper.

My insurance went down significantly when I got the Lexus, and I wasn't 25 yet so it was just the car that made the difference. Lexus has less claims so its cheaper.

Lex- If you ever accuse me of saying that I'll deny it LOL :cheers:

It was explained to me from my agent when I traded in my 92 Nissan Sentra SE-R "loved that car, should of never gotten rid of it" for a '94 GMC Jimmy SLT "my rates jumped up quite a bit" back when I was 24 years old like this:

SUV's pose a higher damage risk due to their aibliity to travel off paved roads in a more aggressive manner than automobiles. Basically, if you damage it off road, you were still using it w/n it's intended manner. As were if you do the same in a car, then you were simply abusing it, which gives them wiggle room to deny the claim. SUV's also pose a much higher roll over risk, which bumps up all categories of insurance. 2wd suv's are lower than 4x4 suvs for the first reason mentioned.

It was also explained to me the historical cost to repair the vehicle, up to a certain threshold of just totalling out the car, which plays a huge roll in determining premiums. Remember way back in the day Mitsubishi had something called the Conquest, and I think Eagle had the same car, just different name? I remember my brother looking at them, both were identical in respect to engines, colors, transmissions, etc. But the Mitsubishi was something like 40% higher to insure "don't quote me on my numbers exactly, I was still cruisin' on my Schwinn, stealing the Victoria Secret catelog w/ my Miami Vice shoes."

It was higher because it cost more to fix it, according to USAA. Don't know why, same cars...but it was.

Now I cruise in a Lexus and instead of stealing my mom's Victoria Secret catelog, I steal my wife's! Some things you just don't give up on. And those BABE'S are addictive!

I steal my wife's! Some things you just don't give up on. And those BABE'S are addictive!

LOL :D :D :D

OK....

Young driver Full coverage high...sports car higher...SUV's depends on the SAFETY features...

So many things can make a rate go up or down it is crazy...sometimes people replace a 1990 car with a 2006 and the premium goes down...safety features...sure the car would cost more to fix now but...the chances of someone in the car getting injured most of the time are much less...

Most of the time the reason a SUV with a young driver would be more than the average car is there is potential for a greater loss! SUV's (most) can hold more people in it...mess up more than most cars...and yes even go off road...which can cause greater property damage...

Here is a perfect example of one that would stump most people if I replaced my 2004 RX330 with a 2004 Chevy Cavalier (4banger) it would cost me about $50 more every (6) months than my RX330 AWD! Now who would have thought that it would cost more to insure a cavalier than a Lexus? The only thing that is cheaper(insurance wise) on the Cavalier is the COMP coverage...(Fire, Theft, Vandalism, Acts of God)....

It just depends on the SAFETY features that a car has...my RX would cost at least 4 times what the cavalier would cost...but the insurance on a Cavalier would be $50 more?

**POLICY QUOTE**

Item 3: 2004 CAVALIER Points: 00 PGS: N Item

COVERAGE LIMITS PREMIUMS

AA Bodily Injury 100/300 133.14

BB Property Damage 100 Included

DD Collision 500 DED 164.20

HH Comprehensive 50 DED 78.75

PD UM/Property Damage 100 Included

SS UM/UIM Bodily Injury 100/300 18.50

VA Personal Injury Coverage VA01 12.65

Item No: 2004 RX330

CODE COVERAGES DEDUCTIBLES PL O LIMITS PREMIUMS PR

AA Bodily Injry 100,000 / 300,000 $65.80

BB Prop Damage 100,000 $45.34

DD Collision 500 $133.52

HH Comp 50 $89.99

SS Uninsured BI 100,000 / 300,000 $18.50

Property Dmg 100,000

VA PIP 01 $8.89

what the heck is that? lol i just talked to my mom and she said that if i get VERY good grades in school, i get a liscence and drive the GX, woo hoo! man i cant wait

This is what a PUP policy is...your dad may want to consider one?

Personal umbrella liability insurance is designed to protect you against a catastrophic lawsuit or judgment. It provides expanded coverage and increases the amount of your liability protection beyond the basic coverage provided under your homeowners/renters and auto insurance policies.

Unlike other types of liability coverage, personal umbrella liability insurance can be purchased as a separate policy. However, your insurer will require that you have underlying basic liability coverage (homeowners/renters insurance, auto insurance, or both) before you can purchase an umbrella liability policy. If you are found to be legally responsible for injuring someone or damaging someone's property, the umbrella policy will either pay the part of the claim in excess of the limits of your basic liability coverage, or pay for certain losses not covered by your basic personal liability insurance.

Why do you need it?

Standard homeowners policies usually provide $100,000 to $300,000 worth of liability coverage. As well as the fact that most states now require you to carry auto insurance with minimum liability coverage (which varies from state to state). It is possible to purchase additional liability coverage under these policies, but amounts may be limited. In today's society, it's not unusual to hear of $1-million, $2-million, and even $10-million liability judgments against individuals. If someone is injured in your home, or if you cause a serious auto accident, you could be hit with such a judgment. Without a personal umbrella liability policy, anything beyond the liability coverage limits of your homeowners/renters or auto insurance policy will have to come out of your pockets.

How does it work?

Personal umbrella liability insurance supplements the basic liability coverage provided by your other insurance--it's designed to kick in when your other liability coverage is tapped out. Depending on the type of claim against you, your homeowners, renters, auto, or boat insurance coverage would be utilized first. Once the basic liability limit under the applicable policy is reached, your personal umbrella liability policy covers the remaining costs, up to the policy limits. For this reason, umbrella liability insurance usually carries a high deductible. Insurance companies typically require you to have homeowners/renters and auto liability insurance equal to the amount of your personal umbrella deductible.

What does it cover?

A typical personal umbrella liability policy provides the following protection, up to the coverage limits specified in the policy:

Protection for claims of personal injuries or property damage caused by you, members of your family/household, or hazards on your property, for which you are found legally liable

Personal liability coverage for incidents which occur on or off your property

Additional protection above your basic auto policy for auto-related liabilities

Protection against non-business-related personal injury claims, such as slander, libel, wrongful eviction, and false arrest

Legal defense costs for a covered loss, including lawyers' fees and associated court costs

What doesn't it cover?

Personal umbrella liability insurance typically provides extremely broad coverage. Furthermore, if something is not expressly excluded from coverage, it is covered. Although exclusions can vary, the following are some items typically excluded from coverage:

Intentional damage caused by you or a member of your family/household

Damages arising out of business or professional pursuits

Liability which you accept under the terms of a contract or agreement

Liability related to the ownership, maintenance, and use of aircraft, nontraditional watercraft (jet skis, air boats, etc.), and most recreational vehicles

Damage to property owned, used, or maintained by you (the insured)

Damage covered under a workers compensation policy

Liability arising as a result of war or insurrection

How much should you buy?

There is no exact science when it comes to determining the appropriate level of personal liability insurance coverage. You might think that you only need enough liability insurance to protect your assets, but this figure is practically irrelevant when deciding how much liability coverage you need. A large judgment against you could easily wipe out your assets and put your future earnings in jeopardy. Instead, consider factors such as how often you have guests in your home, whether you operate a home-based business, how much you drive, whether you have teen drivers in your home, and whether your lifestyle gives the impression that you have "deep pockets."

Coverage limits vary, but a typical policy will provide $1 million to $10 million worth of liability coverage. Of course, as your coverage limit increases, the premium will also increase.

I'm late to the party but here you go....

The permit driver has no insurance. The insurance comes from the valid driver's liscence holder's insurance.

Technically:

The owner of the car has the only insurance on that vehicle that matters. Provided you are driving that vehicle with their permission, their insurance covers you in that vehicle.

Your parents don't put you on insurance until you are a liscenced driver & are actively driving a vehicle.

What differance does it make? It's like my daddy said, "If you can afford the big block, you can afford the gas.", and my great grandfather said, "If you can afford a new tractor, you can afford a barn to put it in."

I am not trying to say anything... But if your parents are driving a 745 and GX470. They're not stretching to put insurance on you every 6 months. LoL! What they oughta do, is sit your butt in an old car & put liability on it if they're worried about money. You're a male under 25. Insurance is high regardless of everything. Might aswell face that fact now. :cheers:

Also keep in mind that even tho you are not listed on their policy, you are leagally still covered by their insurance because you live in the same household.