R&R lower steering shaft 99 LS400

I am having trouble getting the lower steering shaft replaced. After replacing the rack, the lower shaft would come back down to be installed. I replaced it with a non-tilt shaft. I now have the tilt shaft, but I can't get it to install on the steering column. I don't think I would need to remove the entire thing to replace the correct lower shaft. I can't get it to go far enough through the firewall to install on the upper shaft.

On 6/10/2024 at 1:15 AM, Abe Scott said:

I am having trouble getting the lower steering shaft replaced. After replacing the rack, the lower shaft would come back down to be installed. I replaced it with a non-tilt shaft. I now have the tilt shaft, but I can't get it to install on the steering column. I don't think I would need to remove the entire thing to replace the correct lower shaft. I can't get it to go far enough through the firewall to install on the upper shaft.

The lower shaft descriptions are confusing; non-tilt, tilt, can't install it on the column, etc.

I've never done column work on the LS, other than to lower it from the dash to access the ignition switch.

In order to disassemble/assemble the column, I would recommend removing it from the vehicle and working on it on a bench.  Hopefully, the attachments will be of some help.

SR-12 Power Tilt and Power Telescopic Steering Column - Removal.pdf SR-14 Power Tilt and Power Telescopic Steering Column - Disassembly.pdf SR-19 Power Tilt and Power Telescopic Steering Column - Reassembly.pdf SR-22 Power Tilt and Power Telescopic Steering Column - Installation.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

I know the descriptions are terrible. The lower shaft is called the intermediate shaft #2. It goes through the firewall and connects to the coupler, which connects to the rack and pinion. I haven't got it installed because there is not enough space. Under the dash, I can not push the far enough through the firewall to get the coupler on intermedate shaft #1.  sorry for the confusion I hope this clearer