What is your favorite year for the ES???

Millatyme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I didn't even know there were threads from 2002 LOL

I definately like the 02-04 design, its unique looking and far more upscale inside and out than previous generation ES' (my opinion). There was a 2000-2001 parked next to mine at a restaurant tonight when we walked out to the car, and I definately think mine is much classier and more interesting looking.

how is 99 diffrent from 97-98? i thought they are identical although there might be slight changes, but they sstill look about same to me, since my friend has a 99 and it looks pretty much same as mine i did not like 96 thats why i bought 97 ; )

As far as the interior styling - nothing can touch the latest generation. The first time I had one as a loaner I was amazed how close the new ES 300/330 interiors are to the LS 430 interiors. The interior and amenities are about the only thing I like about the new ES though. I drove it about 200 miles (I realize that's not alot) and I thought that the handling was sloppy and the acceleration was sluggish compared to my '95. Overall the car seemed heavier and more cumbersome than previous generations.

As far as external styling goes, I agree with most that the '97-'01 are the best looking. It's just too bad that they couldn't have worked in the dual projector headlamps from the first generation ES 300's into the '97-'01. The closer you get to '01 the nicer the interior gets too.

The new one drives more like the LS than the previous generations, its a difference between luxury and sport, your 95 is significantly sportier than an 02-04. The sloppiness and heavy feeling is the softer springs and the heft ties into the solid feel.

As nearly as I can tell, with one exception (*), nearly every year has been an improvement over the previous years. Sometimes only a trivial change (addition of some minor feature), sometimes a major one. Therefore, I pick the 2005 as my favorite, followed by the 2004, and so on .

* Except for the dodgy transmission introduced in 2002. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have a single significant complaint about my 04.

My Dad has a '97 and we have a '99. I like those versions best. Do not like the newer body style (I think it looks closer to the Toyota than any other year). Don't think I'll be looking for another ES 300 unless they change the body style (for the better!) by the time my '99 dies.

The 97-99 are identical ;)

Not exactly. The '99 got a VVT-i system on the engine, a few more horsepower and ft-lbs of torque, and a wee bit better gas mileage. I also drove a '98 (the one I just bought) and a '99 within a few minutes of each other, and the '99 seemed a little quieter, so I'm thinking they might have a little better soundproofing/deadening.

I wanted a '99 but couldn't find one equipped like I wanted in the price I wanted to spend, so I ended up with a '98.

I didn't even know there were threads from 2002 LOL

I definately like the 02-04 design, its unique looking and far more upscale inside and out than previous generation ES' (my opinion). There was a 2000-2001 parked next to mine at a restaurant tonight when we walked out to the car, and I definately think mine is much classier and more interesting looking.

That is because you keep your car looking so good! ;)

You know i like your car a lot. I love the color and style, but i do have to say that i love my 93.

Like you said everyone likes their own model. I guess that is why they bought the year that they bought. :)

My favorite is the 97-99; more specifacclly the '99(Cashmere with heated seats, nak, and air ride) because of the addition of VVT-i. The '02+ definantly has the best inerior, and it is undoubtedly more stylish than any others, but I'd have to say that the 97-01 has the most elegant body shape especially with the Coach rims. I really love my '94, but it's just too small. Even 10 years down the road, it is still a new looking and driving car; the interior and projector headlights are what makes the first ES's stand out. B)

....oooops, I'm breaking the rules! My ES isn't my favorite generation! :P :lol:

:cheers:

blake,

Now you know that you are not allowed to break the rules.

J/K :D :P LOL

I very much agree with what you said.

The '02+ definantly has the best inerior, and it is undoubtedly more stylish than any others, but I'd have to say that the 97-01 has the most elegant body shape especially with the Coach rims

I guess if i went out and bought another year maybe i would pick that year as my favorite. :unsure:

My favorite thing about my car i would have to say is the 5 speed manual and the headlights. I couldn't get a 5 speed manual in a newer model ES. I guess that is why i am so happy with the 93. If i would go with an automatic i would have to say the 97 - 01. 2001 would most likely be my pick.

OK OK lets just say i like them all and it is hard for me to pick!! LOL :D :P

Someone please help me! :whistles: :wacko: :D

• 4 weeks later...

I wound up buying mine off my subvented lease as I couldn't accept what they did to the exterior. The redesign has more than a few whiffs of Ford Taurus about it, and I can't get past those bulging, stretched headlights.

On the other hand, I wish I had the new one's interior! Thought I sat down in an LS the first time I checked it out. The ride and the exterior were enough to turn me off, however. I'll stick with my 20th-century ride!