Want To Buy Rx300

mlucas

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member of this forum. I would like to know more about the RX300. I want to buy an '01 at the end of this year. Many people say that '01 is too old and I am taking a risk buy a used Lexus that old. What are you all opinions?

Please read the posts under the RX300 for transmission failures. It can be very expensive and very aggravating. Personally I would buy a used Toyota forerunner. You will have better reliabilty. The other choice would be a used Accura MDX. At least honda stands behind their product.

Please read the posts under the RX300 for transmission failures. It can be very expensive and very aggravating. Personally I would buy a used Toyota forerunner. You will have better reliabilty. The other choice would be a used Accura MDX. At least honda stands behind their product.

I guess a GS300/400 would be a better choice.

My understanding is the transmission problem was with 1999 and 2000 models, not with 2001 and later.

By the way, I have a 2000 model with a brand new transmission, only 48k miles. How much are you willing to spend? :D

Well, I haven't seen any conclusion as to whether the Tranny issue is more on the '99,'00 models. I'm afraid that is only seen because they are now at the 75k+ mileage where the failures seem to happen and the later models haven't gotten there yet. I could be wrong, but I've seen nothing to show there was any change to solve the issue in '01-'03 models.

On the plus side, i knew this and bought a '02 FWD anyhow and love it. I MAY regret it if the tranny dies but I took my chances because it was a well-maintained vehicle and now we know to change the fluid at 15k intervals so maybe that will help lessen the likelyhood of the problem.

RX300 Plus: NICE, smooth ride. VERY comfortable seats, Engine almost silent; Enough Features without overboard; still looks good (not "obsolete" vs. newer model vehicles). Drives like a luxury car, not SUV/truck (If you care, I DO); reasonable used prices out there.

RX300 Minus : Tranny issue, Sludge problem for some; A bit loud in wind, NOT sporty to drive if you care (I don't), NOT for off-road if you care (I don't)

Don't even consider one without excellent maintenance records. Check tranny fluid for color smell.

Basically owning an used Lexus because of affordability is not smart because of the maintenance issues?

I thought Lexus was a relatively easy vehicle to maintain. The reason I want a used one is to avoid the depreciation hit. How old is too old?

Well, I haven't seen any conclusion as to whether the Tranny issue is more on the '99,'00 models. I'm afraid that is only seen because they are now at the 75k+ mileage where the failures seem to happen and the later models haven't gotten there yet. I could be wrong, but I've seen nothing to show there was any change to solve the issue in '01-'03 models.

It's 2006. There has been plenty of time for '01 models to get up to 75k miles. What I've seen that shows a change to solve this issue is a lack of reports here of premature failures on models later than 2000.

My understanding is the transmission problem was with 1999 and 2000 models, not with 2001 and later.

By the way, I have a 2000 model with a brand new transmission, only 48k miles. How much are you willing to spend? :D

Personally, at ~55,000 miles, I'm simply waiting for the premature transaxle failure in my 2001 AWD RX300 so I can tear it down myself and find out just exactly why or what is failing in these transaxles. While I'm in there I will also convert it to primary RWD with only the VC to drive the front.

At 40,000 miles my ATF was dirty and smelled burned, a harbinger, I sure, of premature failure. MY RX has the extra, external, ATF cooler for towing and the hitch was removed the week I bought the car.

While the 2001 AWD RX300 is a very good buy overall and otherwise relaible, I wouldn't want to be the second owner of one except certified from a dealer.

At 40,000 miles my ATF was dirty and smelled burned, a harbinger, I sure, of premature failure. MY RX has the extra, external, ATF cooler for towing and the hitch was removed the week I bought the car.

Don't be so sure. When my transmission failed the first thing I did was pull the ATF dipstick. It was clean, and did not smell burned. Burned smelling transmission fluid certainly is a sign of a problem, but not necessarily this one.

I see no reason not to purchase a 2001 model.

I called to service dept at Lexus of South Atlanta. They seemed to think that these transmission failure are not the norm. like i said i like the SUV but I rather get a 07' Toyota Rav4 if i have to shell out 4 grand on a transmission. This is not Lexus i know of.

I called to service dept at Lexus of South Atlanta. They seemed to think that these transmission failure are not the norm. like i said i like the SUV but I rather get a 07' Toyota Rav4 if i have to shell out 4 grand on a transmission. This is not Lexus i know of.

BTW these failure are prone to AWD or FWD. I may reconsider if its AWD instead if FWD.

The transmission failures are more prone to AWD. Not so much FWD.

LexKid, I wish I could be sure of that statement because I have a FWD, but I'm not. I have seen a few reports of the FWD tranny dying at about 75k mi. I'm afraid that the reason it seems so much more prevalent on the AWD is simply that MANY more AWD RX300s are out there. However, I do HOPE that the FWD is at least somewhat less prone to the problem. I bought FWD for that reason but still can't be sure it makes much difference.

Same with the sludge issue you reference as not being an '02-03 issue. No evidence of that either as that engine is the same. I don't know where you get this info from but believe me, I hope you're right. i just see nothing to support it and I've researched this for some time on the internet.

Hi,

I bought a 2001 AWD 1 year ago with 47K on it. After reading up on potential problems, I researched all extended warranty companies and decided to go with one (6 yrs/100K) that covers everything. cost was about $1500. won't know if it was stupid idea for a few years, but i like the piece of mind.

There is a big difference between an '07 Rav4 and a 5 year old Lexus. You could wind up shelling out 4 grand to repair any 5 year-old car that you buy. Why don't you move up to an '03 so you at least have another 3 years under the powertrain warranty? Or better yet, find a good deal on an '01 and buy an exended warranty. It'll be cheaper than a new Rav4.

Hello everyone,

I'm a new member of this forum. I would like to know more about the RX300. I want to buy an '01 at the end of this year. Many people say that '01 is too old and I am taking a risk buy a used Lexus that old. What are you all opinions?

I have two 1999 Lexus RX 300 models. The first I bought with 95,000 miles on it and the second 99 had 75,000 miles. Both have been excellent. There have been a few minor problems but you should have no problem with a 2001. These cars last a long, long time. Good Luck! Richard

Hello everyone,

I have two 1999 Lexus RX 300 models. The first I bought with 95,000 miles on it and the second 99 had 75,000 miles. Both have been excellent. There have been a few minor problems but you should have no problem with a 2001. These cars last a long, long time. Good Luck! Richard

Ok then , since you're new to the list there have been a few questions recently that you may be able to help out on. First are your RX's AWD/ If so do yo know if there is any history of transmission problems in either vehicle? and lastly whats the current mileage of each?

We're all trying to piece together a common problem with 99/00 Rx's t premature transmission failure and any info is anothe piuece of a very complex puzzle. Thanks

I have a 2000 rx300 AWD with about 66,000 miles on the truck. I have not had any transmission issues so far. I did the complete flush and fill at the 60,000 mile service. I bought the car with about 50,000 miles on it. I do not know much of the service history before that mileage. It belonged to my boss's wife who pretty finatical about the up keep, I just do not have any receipts, but it was alway serviced at the Lexas dealer where it was bought new.

I bought a CPO 2002 RX300 last year; has about 40k on it - no problems. The CPO warranty covers it to 5years or 100k (since I'm low mileage, it will be 2009 before my warranty runs out).

From what I've read on the forum, some have sludege and some have trans. problems. But statistically it's rare - you will hear about it in this forum because if all is well, no one posts. Also, my understanding is that these problems are even more rare with >=2002.

I have a friend who has a 1998 RX300, 90=k miles, trans failed. Dealer cut him a deal (or sorts) - free rebuilt factory trans, plus a new warranty, and my friend had to cover labor ($1400 - nothing's free). Cheaper to keep her.

I bought a FWD '01 with 79k on it last year. It now has 103k. I've never had any problems with it. I drive it fairly hard in So. Cali traffic. My only regret is that I didn't buy one with the wood on the steering wheel and shifter (see my topic "steering wheel needed").

I use it for everything, snowboarding trips, surfing trips, cross country drives, work vehicle, daily driver. It's fantastic. It's the most versatile vehicle I've ever owned. I used to do plumbing, and I bought a rubber mat for the cargo area, and would just throw all my tools in there. It still looks brand new. I put my 9'6" longboard on the top and take it to the beach. I use it for everything. It's never let me down.

I think that they are the best deal on the roads here for a luxury SUV. 20 mpg, good price, comfortable, versatile, reliable.

The MDX is also a great car I think. My only problems with them were that they cost a little more, you couldn't get them in 2wd in '01, and they wont fit in my garage.

BTW, I dont think that a RAV4 even comes close to an RX. If looking at a toyota, look at the Highlander. Those are also a good deal.

Hi,

I bought a 2001 AWD 1 year ago with 47K on it. After reading up on potential problems, I researched all extended warranty companies and decided to go with one (6 yrs/100K) that covers everything. cost was about $1500. won't know if it was stupid idea for a few years, but i like the piece of mind.

What is the name of your extended warranty company? I am shopping around.

Hi,

I went with Warranty Warehouse. I haven't had to use them yet, so I don't want to recommend/not recommend them, but after researching it, they seemed good. I paid $1700/$0 deduct up to 6yrs/100K. I have 52k on it now, and do 10K a year, so I should get the full 6 yrs.

Hi,

What is the name of your extended warranty company? I am shopping around.

I read that you purchased a warranty, please be very cautious about what their contract states for maintenance. Make sure you meet their requirements. I say this because my mother had a warranty on a Nissan once and I had been maintaining the car. I changed the fluid every 3500 miles (oil) but during one change it was 7 months. When a starter failed the company denied the claim because it had been 7 months not the 6 months required in the contract, even though it still had only been 3500 miles, (requirements were 5k miles and 6 months whichever came first) Well I was furious, but the writing was on the paper and they refused to pay for the starter. Please take note of all requirements and have receipts and written log of maintenance. good luck

Thanks for the good advice. I will check it throroughly.

I read that you purchased a warranty, please be very cautious about what their contract states for maintenance. Make sure you meet their requirements. I say this because my mother had a warranty on a Nissan once and I had been maintaining the car. I changed the fluid every 3500 miles (oil) but during one change it was 7 months. When a starter failed the company denied the claim because it had been 7 months not the 6 months required in the contract, even though it still had only been 3500 miles, (requirements were 5k miles and 6 months whichever came first) Well I was furious, but the writing was on the paper and they refused to pay for the starter. Please take note of all requirements and have receipts and written log of maintenance. good luck