Tire Wear

Last week we took our RX400h into the dealer for it's 1 year/15000 mile service. The dealer called and said the tires were down to the cord in spots and would need to be replaced. We were shocked, neither my husband and I had noticed this. Believe it or not, Kearny Mesa Lexus told us that they were going to replace the tires as a customer courtesy. It took them an extra day but they put 4 new Michelin MXV4 Energys on the car, no charge. What a great tire, by the way. Possibly Lexus knows about an issue with the OEM tire or the car?

WOW! That is a great dealership...NO CHARGE... :o

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tire cupping is almost always indicative of bad shock absorbers.

Also out of balance conditions, but both of these should have been noticalbe while driving (vibration at high speed etc).

Sounds to me like there was something wrong with the suspension (alignment, loose hardware...) that the dealer felt was a Lexus issue, so that is why the replaced the tires. There is no good reason for them to wear out that fast unless you are racing the 400h.

Last week we took our RX400h into the dealer for it's 1 year/15000 mile service. The dealer called and said the tires were down to the cord in spots and would need to be replaced. We were shocked, neither my husband and I had noticed this. Believe it or not, Kearny Mesa Lexus told us that they were going to replace the tires as a customer courtesy. It took them an extra day but they put 4 new Michelin MXV4 Energys on the car, no charge. What a great tire, by the way. Possibly Lexus knows about an issue with the OEM tire or the car?

So that must have been YOUR RX400h I saw blasting by me on 15 South, doing 110 MPH! Don't worry, I won't relay that info to the dealership...........

Seriously, I'm guessing that Toyota bought the Goodyears for an incredibly low price. Certainly, this is not indicative of the rest of their line of tires. As I mentioned previously, OEM tires are often much less durable than the best aftermarket tires. The same holds true for many OEM brakepads and other wearable components.

I have 12,500 miles on the 400h over 13 months of driving. the tires were rotated at both 5 and 10K miles with normal wear. lately i have noticed that my left rear tire has excessive wear on the inside right tread only. to my knowledge this has only happened since it was put on the back at the last rotation. do i need an alignment? do i pay for this? they are the goodyears and to be honest i dont see these lasting beyond 20K, trust me i drive the car normally, and have been using 32 psi. there is a small vibration in the suspension at 80 mph that didnt used to be there. the front tires track, steer and brake normally. i imagine i will need a trip to the dealer. any suggestions? thanks in advance, dave

I have 12,500 miles on the 400h over 13 months of driving. the tires were rotated at both 5 and 10K miles with normal wear. lately i have noticed that my left rear tire has excessive wear on the inside right tread only. to my knowledge this has only happened since it was put on the back at the last rotation. do i need an alignment? do i pay for this? they are the goodyears and to be honest i dont see these lasting beyond 20K, trust me i drive the car normally, and have been using 32 psi. there is a small vibration in the suspension at 80 mph that didnt used to be there. the front tires track, steer and brake normally. i imagine i will need a trip to the dealer. any suggestions? thanks in advance, dave

My experience, exactly! Following advice in this thread, I asked my dealer to recheck the tires. They found heavy wear especially on the inside of the tires. I was told that the tires need to be replaced. They are goodyears with 20,000, and were rotated every 5000. Lexus customer satisfaction said 12,000 to 18,000 was normal. The tires have been loud almost from the start. The are very loud today. Now I know why. Lexus said the will do something, but it will take a few days.

In my opinion - yes, the dealership should check and align as necessary.

The dealer will only "check" your alignment for free. I had to pay over $100 to get a 4wheel alignment at the dealer when I complained that the car was pulling to the right.

My tire wear seems to be normal and there is no (zero) vibration at speed.

I would expect that if there was obvious alignment issues as evidenced by uneven tire wear, an alignment should be completed at no charge. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled by Lexus in general, but if I were the guy bringing my RX in for this problem, I'd insist.

We just replaced the Goodyears on our RX400 at 24800 with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza's from our local Firestone Dealer - 65,000 treadwear warranty - buy three fourth tire is free. With lifetime 4 wheel alignment ($139.00) total out the door was roughly $900. The tires are incredible - quiet and much better traction - we are delighted with these tires and consider them a better value than Michelin's or Goodyears.

In a not too long ago test of SUV tires, Consumer Reports noted the following:

"All-season truck and SUV tires

Among all-season tires, the Goodyear Fortera HL Edition (*est. $120) and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (*est. $120) run neck and neck in tire reviews. Both, experts say, are excellent SUV tires, and both tires are included in comparative testing at The Tire Rack. Editors say both ride well, but the Goodyear Fortera is rated slightly better for comfort and steering response. The Bridgestone tires have some features that are not easily tested, including a double-layer tread that's meant to improve traction as the primary tread begins to wear. As a result, the Alenza has one of the highest government treadwear ratings of 600 for H-rated tires and 700 for T-rated tires. Competing tires, including the Goodyear Fortera tires, have treadwear ratings of around 540. (Read more about government treadwear ratings in our Best Research section below.)

The Goodyear Fortera HL Edition gets high scores from three tire reviewers, and experts say this truck and SUV tire has an excellent blend of handling, ride and safety qualities. The Goodyear tire gets especially high scores from experts for wet and dry braking, and this SUV tire is competent on snow and ice, making it a good choice for mild winter weather. The Goodyear Fortera easily outgrips the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV tire (*est. $145) in tests at Car and Driver and in other SUV tire reviews.

The Goodyear Fortera HL Edition and Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza truck and SUV tires are both highly competent, and they compete head-to-head on pricing as well. We've included the Goodyear Fortera tires in ConsumerSearch Fast Answers, since we saw this tire reviewed by more experts (possibly because the Alenza is a newer SUV tire).

The Fortera and Alenza are both premium all-season truck and SUV tires, with corresponding high price tags. We found some tires in reviews, however, that come close in many aspects to the performance of these more expensive tires. The Kelly Safari Signature (*est. $90) and Dayton Timberline HT (*est. $75) are good budget all-season options. The Kelly SUV tire gets excellent scores for performance on ice and gets kudos from reviewers for low noise. Overall, however, the Kelly doesn't handle quite as well as the Fortera and Alenza truck tires. The Dayton Timberline is competent across the board, falling just short of the higher-end Fortera and Alenza tires, but outclassing tires such as the Toyo Open Country M410 (*est. $90) and Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country (*est. $85).

Another good budget tire is the Dunlop Radial Rover AT (*est. $85). Reviews say that the Dunlop tires deliver a smooth, quiet ride and perform well in braking tests, with the exception of icy surfaces. Cornering and emergency handling are good but not excellent. Dunlop offers a 60,000-mile treadlife warranty on the Radial Rover AT."

It looks you can't go wrong with either, with the Goodyears having a slight edge in the handling department.

Full article here: http://www.consumersearch.com/www/automoti.../fullstory.html

I did go to the dealer for a lube and we talked about the tires, i pointed out the abnormal wear on the rear left (rotation @ 5 and 10K) and the service manager said alignment. I asked the tech who serviced the car and he pointed out that there was uneven wear on the left front too but only offered alignment that they feel i should pay for. I have no vibration or pulling or handling problems at any speed. I didnt have time for the alignment. I will be back on the 25th for a customer appreciation event (they give away two plasma tvs LOL and other crap), should i pay for an alignment or insist that something wasnt kosher from the start.?? Also talking tires because i can see these goodyears are not long for the world at 13K, SW03ES mentioned 'rolling resistance' in an earlier post talking about replacement tires. If i go with the goodyears people seem to like rather than the michelins will that affect my gas mileage? thanks in advance for everyones help, dave

In a not too long...

That is all good inforamtion but as far as I can tell (west coast anyway) the Goodyear tires mentioned in that article will not work on a 400h...

It requries a 235/55VR18 tire and the only options I can find are (in order of value)

Bridgestone Alenza, 600 wear, 65K mi @ $155

Yokohama YK520, 520 wear, 60K mi @ $162

Michlen Energy MXV4, 400 wear, no mi @ $178

Goodyear Eagle RS, 260 wear, no mi @ $186

prices are Discount Tire in the 90715 area code

I might go for the Yoko to get slightly better handling for the $$$, I've been happy with their tires in the past.

Goodyear is OFF the list as far as I'm concerned.

Back when the Goodyear GSD3s were introduced, the number of available sizes were rather slim. Those who tried them urged those who required wider sizes to wait; the tire is well worth it. After one year or less, Goodyear introduced many of the sizes people wanted, with more sizes to come.

I'm guessing that the RX400h tire size requirement is not extremely popular - hence its sizeot being available as a Fortera HL.

Believe me, Goodyear will come out with that size Fortera, eventually. So if you need tires right now, your choices are fairly limited. The Bridgestones appear to be a good choice for what's available.

I did go to the dealer for a lube and we talked about the tires, i pointed out the abnormal wear on the rear left (rotation @ 5 and 10K) and the service manager said alignment. I asked the tech who serviced the car and he pointed out that there was uneven wear on the left front too but only offered alignment that they feel i should pay for. I have no vibration or pulling or handling problems at any speed. I didnt have time for the alignment. I will be back on the 25th for a customer appreciation event (they give away two plasma tvs LOL and other crap), should i pay for an alignment or insist that something wasnt kosher from the start.?? Also talking tires because i can see these goodyears are not long for the world at 13K, SW03ES mentioned 'rolling resistance' in an earlier post talking about replacement tires. If i go with the goodyears people seem to like rather than the michelins will that affect my gas mileage? thanks in advance for everyones help, dave

Alignments are typically done within the first 12 months free of charge--after that it's an owner responsibility or purely dealer good will. After all, if you have hit a curb or pothole, and it's knocked out, it's not really the manufacturer's fault but it's difficult to establish what happened after the miles roll up. Alignment is often not felt in the handling unless it's severely out. Look for any early wear signs when at the dealer for oil changes to avoid the issue, I guess.

Personally, I would not put an SUV tire on the RX400h. Get a low rolling resitance touring or Ultra High Performance tire. The SUV tires aren't going to get you anything in traction, and they're going to cost you in mileage.

I believe that if you go to the Tirerack website and enter your make and model, you will see the OEM tire size, which doesn't initially show its speed rating. Of course, one should never replace an OEM tire with a tire having a lower speed rating. Not only may you end up with reduced performance, but you can also have a blowout if you take your vehicle to a track for high speed driving.

The only alternatives (with V speed rating) to the OEM Goodyears that Tirerack shows are three Michelins and a Yokohama. For some strange reason, the Bridgestone Alenza doesn't turn up in a comparison listing. However, if you search for them directly, they are listed in the correct size and speed rating.

The "V" speed rating that our OEM Goodyears carry, is way up there at 149 MPH max. Generally, tires having this speed rating tend to wear out rather quickly.

Dave

As I reported earlier, I had to replace my Goodyears at 15K. Kicking and screaming all the way but the dealer realigned as a courtesy after I put the new Bridgestone Duelers on. Wow, was I surprised... :whistles: at how quiet the RX400h can be! My wife then had to take a trip immediately and put a little over 700 miles on it and came back complaining the car was pulling to one side. Back to dealer... They fixed and all is well now. Put another 3,700 miles on the new tire and then :censored: we encountered something in the road which before it was over we had ruined a new tire! Discount Tire honored the Road Hazard and replaced it for the cost of a new Road Hazard warranty for that tire!

Align, alignment, align, alignment... balance and rotate followed by balance and rotate... I think your tires should be good for a lot more than the 'dealership declared' 15,000!

Personally, I would not put an SUV tire on the RX400h. Get a low rolling resitance touring or Ultra High Performance tire. The SUV tires aren't going to get you anything in traction, and they're going to cost you in mileage.

I just replaced my extremely loud and cupped goodyears with the oe michellins (235/55-18). A dramatic improvement! My dealer said the low profile version ot the RSA does not stand up compared to more standard profile versions.

Keep in mind that there will almost always be a dramic improvement when worn tires are replaced. Back a few years ago, we had Sumitomo tires installed on our van after the worn Michelins started sounding very "rough". We were in heaven for at least one year, as the new Sumitomos were much quieter. Unfortunately, that didn't last long and after two years, the Sumis were ready for the scrap pile.

Keep in mind that there will almost always be a dramic improvement when worn tires are replaced. Back a few years ago, we had Sumitomo tires installed on our van after the worn Michelins started sounding very "rough". We were in heaven for at least one year, as the new Sumitomos were much quieter. Unfortunately, that didn't last long and after two years, the Sumis were ready for the scrap pile.

Good point!

• 1 month later...

something other than normal wear is going on out there with the goodyear tires on a 400h, many people in other forums are reporting abnormal inside tire wear, some even after alignment every 5k miles! some owners are wearing out their goodyears at 12 to 15K. my question is this a problem with the 400h design or is this abnormal wear only limited to the goodyear eagles. Does anyone with a michelin tire on this vehicle have abnormal wear?

I'm real interested in the answer to your questions. I have hated the Goodyears but it may just be the way the car drives. They seem to be wearing quickly but I only have 13000 miles. I don't notice uneven wear though. I miss the Michelins I have on my RX 300.

I'd like to reiterate what the Discount Tire salesperson told me recently:

He told me that more than a few OEM tires last or have warranties not exceeding 10,000 - 20,000 miles. He advised that a short life span does not indicate that all tires made by the OEM tire manufacturer will wear prematurely in a similar fashion. Goodyear makes some of the best tires out there at this time, so please don't assume that all Goodyears are garbage.

Now, getting back to the uneven wear.....this is probably not a tire issue; more statistical info is certainly welcome.

Dave

i have no qualms with goodyear, and i have never owned a low profile tire tread on a suv. The treads are not worn out and i dont abuse the car, im more concerned about the uneven wear, and i dont have a satisfactory answer from lexus, i did pay for the alignment and that might fix the issue. I am telling you this is a large thread on another site with more people than me having the same problem, some to the point where their tires were gone at 15K, all have goodyears. I dont think its unfair to ask the question is the same thing happening to Michelin owners since there are a number of them out there, and i dont see them posting wear comments. Last i checked these tires are about $200 each to replace. it seems to me a way of helping to decide, is it a tire issue, an alignment problem with these models, or something lexus should address.