Best Year Ls400 ?

hammo400

Looking to trade in this fall 2006 my 1998 LS400 with - by that time - 125K for a newer model. Which model is best ??

What are the opinions of the group on which model I should look to purchase next??

My budget is limited - $30 K or less, so my options re Years are too ! I'm looking for a 2000-2002 with < 65K miles. What year is best to get: 2000, 2001, or 2002 ?? What are problems with any of these years ??

Thanks !

LS400

White - 1998

Rockport, MA

Looking to trade in this fall 2006 my 1998 LS400 with - by that time - 125K for a newer model. Which model is best ??

What are the opinions of the group on which model I should look to purchase next??

My budget is limited - $30 K or less, so my options re Years are too ! I'm looking for a 2000-2002 with < 65K miles. What year is best to get: 2000, 2001, or 2002 ?? What are problems with any of these years ??

Thanks !

LS400

White - 1998

Rockport, MA

The 2000 isn't that different from what you've already got. I think they added Brake Assist in the final year. However, you can be assured of the mechanical durability, since it was the last run of the model you have.

But, from a value for money proposition, I'd get the 01-02 LS430. The car is far more luxurious if anything. Once you get hooked on the electronic toys it is hard to pass up. The Navigation System is great, along with the Voice Control (2002 onward). The car has plenty of wood trim and is roomier than the 2000 model. The 2002 is more less the same as the '01, it has Voice Controlled Nav and Stereo though. 17" rims were pretty much standard for this year too.

I haven't seen many reports about high mileage LS430 cars

This is pure speculation on my part: Given the added complexity of these cars, I would expect long term maintenance costs on a LS430 to exceed that of a LS400. The touchscreen for the NAV is one of the first things I'd expect to go. I bet this replacement would run at least $1-2K. Make sure that any LS430 you consider has the CPO warranty on it. The market for the LS430 is about to be flooded with trade ins as the LS460 is introduced.

Since you are from MA, I can tell you quite a bit about the Lexus dealers in our area. Lexus of Norwood tends to have the highest quality of used cars, but prices them at a premium. Based on our dealings with them, they tend to price their CPO 5-7K more than what they paid at trade in. For example we traded our 2002 LS430 last December and got 37K for it. (It had 25K miles on it) They listed it at $44.9K within a few days. Their service is pretty good.

Their Mercedes dealer gave us $47,250 for our 2005 LS430 with 7K miles, and it is listed at $49,990 on the Herb Chambers website. (Anyone want a Dark blue LS430 that I can personally vouch for?) They originally offered me $45K, but I knew they wanted to unload their leftover S Classes so I pushed harder.

Lexus of Watertown has cars that are slighty scuffed up, but at a more reasonable price. My 1992 LS400 is from there. It did have it's share of teething problems in the beginning, but they took care of it all. It's been THE best car we've owned period. Greg Stanicek is the Service Manager there and is superb. He has personally taken care of my 1992 LS400 and has done a GREAT job.

Ira Lexus has got to be the stereotypical Used car lot mentality. Their sales pitch reeks of high pressure and all sorts of gimmicks and games. Their prices aren't that great, so I never understand the whole smoke and mirrors show when I go there. I'd avoid this dealer.

I haven't dealt with Lexus of Northborough in person. I did try to deal with their Internet Sales Dept and wasn't impressed by their pricing.

If you need any info, don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this has been useful,

-Sam

93 is the best... until I buy a 98.... and then a 2000...

Cheers... This car looks so freaking good with a coat of wax, tint, wheels and the sun on it. OMG... OHHH MY GOD!

The only problem is I have a 22 with a scope... Some piece of shi. cat, soon to be sushi is on my car at night. Okay I can't kill the cat, but I will cover the car.

kewl

The only problem is I have a 22 with a scope... Some piece of shi. cat, soon to be sushi is on my car at night. Okay I can't kill the cat, but I will cover the car.

Kewl:

If it's a long gun, it'll be "purrrrrty" quiet...........................

Thanks !

LS400

White - 1998

Rockport, MA

I suspect that a low mileage 2003 LS430 will be within your $30,000 range by the fall of this year.

Why bother with CPO when you could buy a low mileage LS430 from an individual, a broker or an independent dealer for far less? When we bought a 2000 LS400 in 2003 from a broker, we paid $9,000! less than the local Lexus dealer wanted for similar mileage (34-38K miles), less well equiped CPO 2000 LS400's. If you play your cards right, you can buy an off-lease 2003 36,000 mile LS430 with an in-service date of July-September 2003 and still have 14,000 miles and one year left on the basic 4 year/50K mile warranty in case there are any "bugs" to be worked out.

As of today the KBB dealer trade-in value of a "basic" 2003 LS430 in "excellent" condition was about $34,000 - and many people consider KBB valuations to be much higher than the market.

Consider selling your 98 LS400 yourself - not difficult if your car is in great condition and the service is up to date. You will come out far better than if you trade it in to a dealer.

Or, consider driving your 98 LS400 another few years and then buying a 2007 LS460 (with an in-service date of July-September 2007, of course) in fall, 2010. By that time you will have easily have saved up enought to pay cash for your 07 LS460. 125,000 miles on an LS400 is not all that much; we drove our first LS for nearly 14 years and over 183K miles and it is still going strong with its current owner at 225K+ miles.

Personally? I'd keep it unless your motivation for trading is to get an LS430, but personally I think your 98 is a lot better looking than the 01-03 anyways. If it were me, I'd keep the 98 until I could get an 04-06. The ride and drive is virtually the same, if anything the 98-00s are a little smoother as they tightened the car up somewhat in 01.

125k is nothing on an LS...225k is nothing if its been well maintained.

I also agree with Jim about the CPO cars, I think the CPO program is a terrible ripoff. If you take the time you can find a great car from a private owner who has all the service records, buy a new car Lexus extended warranty for $1700 and get coverage until 100k and call it done. You'll save at least 5k.

The only purpose of buying a CPO car is to make shopping for your colors and equipment levels easier. The LS is easy to shop for though since they really only came three ways:

Base

Nav/Lev (Modern Luxury in 04-06) which includes Mark Levinson, Navigation (in case you couldn't figure that one out)

Ultra Luxury which includes special interior leather and wood, leather dash and door panels, heated and cooled seats, power massaging reclining rear seats with audio and climate control, cool box between the rear seats, rear sunshade, air suspension, and adaptive cruise.

Kewl, Cover the car!!!

Threadcutter, I expected nothing less!!

Other"wise", good advice 1990ls400!

R:

Me!?...............

I'm not the one carving orange peel helmets & putting them on..........................oh, never mind!

Seriously, you would probably be surprised at our household.....................We've rescued far more than our fair share of strays. They're all fat with shiny coats....

As far as a '90's..........................They're much better looking & have depreciated (someone else absorbed) the most. I'm toying with the idea of a '98 or '99, but I can't seem to part with the '95 to give to the wife.

Personally? I'd keep it unless your motivation for trading is to get an LS430, but personally I think your 98 is a lot better looking than the 01-03 anyways. If it were me, I'd keep the 98 until I could get an 04-06. The ride and drive is virtually the same, if anything the 98-00s are a little smoother as they tightened the car up somewhat in 01.

125k is nothing on an LS...225k is nothing if its been well maintained.

I also agree with Jim about the CPO cars, I think the CPO program is a terrible ripoff. If you take the time you can find a great car from a private owner who has all the service records, buy a new car Lexus extended warranty for $1700 and get coverage until 100k and call it done. You'll save at least 5k.

The only purpose of buying a CPO car is to make shopping for your colors and equipment levels easier. The LS is easy to shop for though since they really only came three ways:

Base

Nav/Lev (Modern Luxury in 04-06) which includes Mark Levinson, Navigation (in case you couldn't figure that one out)

Ultra Luxury which includes special interior leather and wood, leather dash and door panels, heated and cooled seats, power massaging reclining rear seats with audio and climate control, cool box between the rear seats, rear sunshade, air suspension, and adaptive cruise.

Interesting comment on the CPO process. Having purchased an '03 CPO model myself, after kind of rushing myself to a decision, I can see your point. But I have to admit that I take comfort in the fact that the car is covered through 100K miles. I'll probably keep it for 2 years and put a little over 40K on it. I bought it with 37K... But I wasn't aware that I could extend the warranty for $1,700.

I probably should have done more searching, but as usual, I'm into instant gratification... ;) Not that I feel I made a mistake or regret my purchase, but when it comes time to sell this one and get an '05/06 model (which is my plan), I'll definitely take more time looking and consider buying from a private seller.

But I have to agree with you about the 98-00 being a better looking car. My '03 has grown on me since I bought it, but from certain angles, it's not an attractive car (from the side, looking towards the front where you get a side view of the headlight and can't see the grill, particularly). The 98-00 models were my dream car when they came out, and I still think they are a beautiful car...the most attractive LS, at least up until '04....

i would go for a ls430, being that if you get anything before 2001, you will have the same car you have now, and thats not much of a change. 30K will get you a reasonably good car, so aim for a 2002 ls430...or wait a few years and get he 07-0? ls460 lol