Mixing Tires

fjstl

I have a 98 ls400 with three H rated tires and one V rated. Will this cause any problems, like vibration etc.? I did a search and coundn't find anything that addresses this issue. thanks.

If it were two H rated and two V rated with both Hs on the same axle and both Vs on the same axle it wouldn't be an issue. You NEVER want to have two different tires on the same axle though.

If it were two H rated and two V rated with both Hs on the same axle and both Vs on the same axle it wouldn't be an issue. You NEVER want to have two different tires on the same axle though.

Agreed, not a wise idea.

:cheers:

It's always a lousy and potentially dangerous idea to mix tires on the same vehicle regardless of axle placement. Why gamble with the only component that joins your vehicle to the ground?

It's always a lousy and potentially dangerous idea to mix tires on the same vehicle regardless of axle placement. Why gamble with the only component that joins your vehicle to the ground?

I also wholeheartedly agree with this. As a matter of fact I hate to replace just two tires with the same model when I have an irrepairable flat because I like all the tires to be evenly worn. Luckily with modern tires and patches this is increasingly a non-issue. I would never put two different tread designs on a car at the same time.

I appreciate everyone's input and I'll be replacing the one V rated tire. Thanks again.

Probably not good enough. Are the tires all new? You need to replace that V rated tire with the SAME tire that is on that axle, exact same brand and model tire. If the tires are not new you'll at least have to replace both tires on one axle.

You can NEVER just replace one tire unless the tires are BRAND new.

The reason you have 3 Hs and 1V is that the car originally came with V rated tires, and the spare is a v rated tire. I bet at one point the tires were replaced with H rated tires and someone rotated the spare onto one of the hubs. What type of tire is on the spare?