Need Help With Frozen Stuck Bolt...this Is Not Pretty

Gumart1

I am replacing the lower ball joints on my 91LS and sure enough I have practically ruined one of the two bolts that hold the ball joint to the steering knuckle.

They are supposed to be torqued to 83 ft. lbs. which isn't that hard but I guess 250k miles has added up to one stubborn bolt.

Over the past 3 days, I have tried soaking it with Liquid Wrench 3x a day, using a breaker bar (by that time the threads on the bolt head had stripped, using channel locks, using a propane torch to attempt to heat the bolt, and finally using a chisel and hammer, all to no avail. I have a sledgehammer but the wife didn't trust me to help ;) There isn't much left of the bolt head, it is nearly smooth all around although the chisel can cut a groove with a bit of effort.

I have never used a bolt remover but even if I did it would be difficult to manuever the drill underneath and drill perfectly straight up the bolt.

Of course the other bolt came off like butter.

Any other miraculous suggestions how to free this bolt??? Thanks!

post-15115-1138300421_thumb.jpg

post-15115-1138300444_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the great suggestions. MadMax thanks for the link. The Sears Bolt-Out looked really good. Unfortunately the largest size they sell is for a 16mm and this bolt is 17mm. I may look for another manufacturer. It's really rounded, I can't see how anything will attach at this point :cries:

If I have to cut it with a dremel, will I then have to use the extractor on the remaining thread? I'm really hoping to save this thing, I've never had to retap threads.

I was wrong; they do have the size:

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-Al...lay_~full_specs

$50 ouch! Well, I saved hundreds of dollars by doing it myself, and now I have an excuse to get some more tools. These should be nice to have in the future. Unless there are any other suggestions, I'm off to give this a try.

The dremel tool is cheaper, and then take a small cold chisel and knock off the remanning bits. If you are carefull you should not damage the threads. Cut into the bolt, but not all the way, then use the cold chisel with a ball pin hammer.

The dremel tool is cheaper, and then take a small cold chisel and knock off the remanning bits. If you are carefull you should not damage the threads. Cut into the bolt, but not all the way, then use the cold chisel with a ball pin hammer.

Gumart:

A "big" side benefit of using a Dremel to cut off the head is that the heat from cutting will help to free up the remaining threaded shank of the bolt. When you remove the Ball Joint assembly after having cut the head off of the bolt, you should be able to attach vise grips to the bolt shank and turn/remove it quite easily. Get the vise grips on the shank while the bolt is still hot. I don't think you'll have much problem doing it this way.

I have found the answer to fustrations like you experienced is prevention. Use only the highest quality six point sockets and six point box wrenches available - like S&K brand and others. That way you won't round any bolt heads off (although rarely you may break them off) Expensive, yes, but the savings in fustration is worth it IMHO. The other answer is to have patience and use the best bolt penetrating

fluids available like Kroil and Toyota High Performance Penetrating Lube a day or two ahead of time. These penetrants help prevent the bolt heads from breaking off and help prevent thread stripping.

Thanks for the last few suggestions guys. I was already out the door to Sears and missed them. Great news! It's off! The Craftsman Bolt-Out Set did it, easily I might add. I used the tightest possible remover and had to hammer it lightly in place. Then using the proper sized socket "1" over the remover with my breaker bar. It loosened right up without much effort at all.

The kit I got was an intermediate sized one for $29.95. It is Sears item#952166. It has 10 sizes up to 19mm. It is also available on Sears.com I believe. Thanks so much for referring me to it! :cheers:

post-15115-1138311756_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the last few suggestions guys. I was already out the door to Sears and missed them. Great news! It's off! The Craftsman Bolt-Out Set did it, easily I might add. I used the tightest possible remover and had to hammer it lightly in place. Then using the proper sized socket "1" over the remover with my breaker bar. It loosened right up without much effort at all.

The kit I got was an intermediate sized one for $29.95. It is Sears item#952166. It has 10 sizes up to 19mm. It is also available on Sears.com I believe. Thanks so much for referring me to it! :cheers:

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it out with that tool! I think Sears is supposed to have a sale on that tool on Saturday (at least around here) for like $9.99. Might have to pick one up...

I was going to say if that bolt out didn't work, to take a socket nearest that size and pound it on what was left of the bolt head.

Nice job man!

Sweet! Glad to hear you got it out with that tool! I think Sears is supposed to have a sale on that tool on Saturday (at least around here) for like $9.99. Might have to pick one up...

I was going to say if that bolt out didn't work, to take a socket nearest that size and pound it on what was left of the bolt head.

Nice job man!

Sure am happy for you, I know how these things can be a real PITA. Now I want to go purchase tools. Thanx

Nice job man!

Sure am happy for you, I know how these things can be a real PITA. Now I want to go purchase tools. Thanx

My VISA sure hates it when that happens..........

Speaking about tools, if you are under no time constraints, Craftsman tools on ebay are incredibly cheap. I was lusting after a 3/8" drive set of flex sockets, Sears retail $50, ebay, brand new, $30!!!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

When it comes to tools I have to see them, Pick them up and make sure they are the right tool for me. Besides I like browsing the tool section. You never know what you come across.

Glad that worked for you. Another very easy way to get nuts/bolts off/out - buy a small propane torch (10$) and gently heat the nut. It will expand and come right off with a pair of vice grips if stripped, or with a normal wrench if not. I like Channel Locks too - lots of leverage with those bad boys. Learned this in my mechanic days on farm equipment. So, you could imagine some of the rusty nuts I had to deal with. Most of the time I used Acetylene/Oxygen torch - but, propane will do just fine. This never failed me. Obviously, you can't used this around bushings etc. If it's a bolt thats stuck, just heat whatever is surrounding it if applicable. The bolt will come right out too.

- you can also try one of those new lighters that are windproof for your grill.

That might work in a pinch. 2cts

When it comes to tools I have to see them, Pick them up and make sure they are the right tool for me. Besides I like browsing the tool section. You never know what you come across.

You are so right. I have spent soooo much time fingering tools at my local Sears. Only thing better than nice tools is getting nice tools cheaper.

glenmore