Now It's Mine - Ls 400 In My Garage...

W201 sweden

I am a mechanic, engine builder, etc. I appreciate the quality probably far more than many people do.
Yes there has been a consistent pattern on this forum that the older owners with extensive American car vs Toyota ownership experience plus American car vs Toyota mechanical component tear down experience appreciate the superior mechanical component quality of a Toyota compared to any American car. We understand that in the rare cases a Toyota component has problems (e.g. the oil leaks of the 1st generation LS400 power steering system) it's not because Toyota built the component out of cheap materials or low standards of workmanship, it's almost always because of some minor issue that wasn't forseen during engineering development and testing and is easily mitigated. In the case of the early LS power steering system, for example, the engineers didn't realize the steering rack solenoid filter screen would become blocked after 5-10 years of service causing high fluid pressures and resultant fluid leaks. This was the first Toyota power steering system to ever use a solenoid. Savvy owners who simply keep their solenoid screens and power steering fluid clean can enjoy great durability from the system. The other owners wrongly conclude "my LS400 power steering fluid leaks are proof that Toyotas are overrated and not really mechanically more reliable and durable than American cars."

Monarch:

Nicely Put! Having been through this experience (P/S Pump), I think you are right on the mark. When I look at how much I have tied up in my '95 vs. how much "American car" that same money would have purchased, I can't help but giggle (a lot). In particular, the amount of comfort and luxury that my ten year old car offers when compared to a brand new "anything else" (at many muliples of price paid), I am astounded. I'm already thinking about picking up another one & "re-engining" it.

I am a mechanic, engine builder, etc. I appreciate the quality probably far more than many people do.
Yes there has been a consistent pattern on this forum that the older owners with extensive American car vs Toyota ownership experience plus American car vs Toyota mechanical component tear down experience appreciate the superior mechanical component quality of a Toyota compared to any American car. We understand that in the rare cases a Toyota component has problems (e.g. the oil leaks of the 1st generation LS400 power steering system) it's not because Toyota built the component out of cheap materials or low standards of workmanship, it's almost always because of some minor issue that wasn't forseen during engineering development and testing and is easily mitigated. In the case of the early LS power steering system, for example, the engineers didn't realize the steering rack solenoid filter screen would become blocked after 5-10 years of service causing high fluid pressures and resultant fluid leaks. This was the first Toyota power steering system to ever use a solenoid. Savvy owners who simply keep their solenoid screens and power steering fluid clean can enjoy great durability from the system. The other owners wrongly conclude "my LS400 power steering fluid leaks are proof that Toyotas are overrated and not really mechanically more reliable and durable than American cars."

Monarch:

Nicely Put! Having been through this experience (P/S Pump), I think you are right on the mark. When I look at how much I have tied up in my '95 vs. how much "American car" that same money would have purchased, I can't help but giggle (a lot). In particular, the amount of comfort and luxury that my ten year old car offers when compared to a brand new "anything else" (at many muliples of price paid), I am astounded. I'm already thinking about picking up another one & "re-engining" it.

Hello Sweden and fellow owners!

The LS is a great car, any PS system will have a tendency to leak, the key is hydraulic fluid it makes pressure, so never overfill the system! You will lessen the chances of leaks a lot!

Second, the car does grow on you, the first month I did not drive it much, I looked at it more, then little by little after the first long trip I learned to love it!

Third, to save some gas on your LS put pure acetone, yes the nail polish remover, 2 ounces per every 10 gallons of gasoline, you will see the results.

C. Cardona

Edited by cardona6569

As the headline says - I bought a -95 LS 400 the other day.

Solid black with tan interior. All options (I think...) except moon roof.

Leather, TRC, air suspension, heated rear seat, alloys for both summer and winter tires etc... :)

OK condition, needs some repainting due to scratches.

The ride home from the dealer (560 km = 410 miles) was really nice - ride quality is better than most new car's.

However I had a flat tire on the highway, which I had to replace in pouring rain,

almost freezing temperature and darkness. (Is that the kind of thing that "bonds" you to your car?)

NOTE!

Strangely enough I feel absolutely no emotional connection to this car!?

No thrill of the new aquisition (sp?), no longing to drive it, nothing... :blink:

Will this develop over time? (Even my old subcompact Renault had a tiny corner in my heart!)

Today I hardly know why I bought the LS - it has not left the garage since I got home with it - last Wednesday.

I was very excited to get my 1999 LS400 with 36K mi. six months ago. But my emotions about this car are still growing. It thrills me, gives me a great deal of confidence and I never cared for a car as much as I do for this one. Thanks, LEXUS!!!

/Alexander from Sweden

edit: forgot to put my in name...

Wow, that is one of my favorite LS's and favorite color too. I would be happy. I remember when I bought my 90' LS400, I was very happy about it and could not wait to drive it home.

No moonroof? That is a pretty rare option for these cars to lack. I thought that by 95', that it was standard. Guess not.

Perhaps the flat tire had you discouraged?

There was no "drama" in my post. I simply explained what made me even try a Lexus in the first place and some differences between cars I had owned. Wasn't a Lexus commercial nor was it bashing other makes of vehicles.

I wasn't talking to you Bob, I was talking to Monarch.

- Another comment to back up the quality of the LS. We drove about 500 miles round trip for the holiday weekend in my other GS (My LS has a very slow leak in one of my new tires; which I'm having checked out today) Anyway, of course I like to drive the GS, however, after coming home to drive my car last night. The difference is immediate - Smoother and quieter. You really do have to drive something else for a bit and get back in your LS to appreciate. Note: my other car has 17's on her car which make for a noisier ride, but we also have new rubber on that car too. You couldn't go wrong with either...

I haven't reviewed your pre-purchase threads but reading between the lines I think the reason for you emotions is because you felt you HAD to buy it based on your research. The LS was not and so far is not the car of your emotional choice.

Having owned a 96 LS400, driving it from 50k to 90k miles (40k total driving during ownership) there are MANY surprisingly GOOD things to discover about the car. One of my favorite was its 70mph punch. Perfect place in the gearing as it will drop to 2nd and scream to redline and then shift very nicely into 3rd. Try this against any of the cars you have mentioned and I think you will be surprised. Next was its surprising cornering ability. Find a clean 90 degree turn (one street turning onto another) and "test" how quickly you can make the turn. It will take some testing as you will discover it will get around it quicker than it seems possible. It will lean but it WILL turn.

The LS400 is not designed as a sports car. That said another very nice thing to consider: If you have a sports car you are SUPPOSED to be quick/fast. The LS will stay with many so call sports cars in both acceleration and handling. Try it, you will be surprised. If you stay close the other car is shocked. You can't loose because you are in an LS for crying-out-loud. Also, girls may prefer sports cars but women prefer the LS.

My suggestion, drive it, drive it hard, test the limits, you will gain a new respect and with it admiration.

BTW, traded the 96 for a 99 which does almost everything better. Almost. The 96 idles better. The 99 does not have the 70mph punch due to gearing changes. The 99 has an 80mph punch. I think the 96 would out pull the 99 from a 70mph punch to probably 80mph before the 99 caught and passed the 96. The 95,96,97 are all basically the same as are the 98,99,2000 models.

Load the trunk full of groceries and still outgun a Mustang GT without peeling out... Take very comfortable road trips... Great resale value - MPG, sound system, looks - these cars aren't everywhere you look either.

Just did that last week. A Mustang Cobra on one side, and a little white 'rocket'

in the right turn only (looking to sneak around me). Gave 'er a good punch at the

green and left 'em confused. (Old age and treachery). It's not as neck snapping

as my '40 Chev street rod (what could be) but it's pretty good.

Not meaning to be the party crasher here,but while a Lex can run 0-60 in the mid 6's, assuming we're talking about a 98-00, the last Cobras were running 0-60 below 5's, that is a lifetime. Mid 6's is not shabby by anyones standard, but unless a Cobra has a blown engine or no engine.. it might be a bit difficult to leave them at a stop light. I had a 2000 GT with just mild mods on it, and I could still outpace most sports, luxury and pocket rocket cars out there, I can only imagine a Cobra.Of course Lexus is a better car overall, but what's fair is fair and it needs to be told. :cheers: