Remote Access Key

first post so excuse if this has been asked over and over. Just bought a 97 SC400 but don't have the key with the button on it. My dealer says I have to replace the computer and key for $1500. I've done a search of the forum and found discussion on earlier and later years but am wondering if its possible to program a key myself? Who would have such a key?

thanks so much

taggart

Once a laser-cut key has been cut, that's a done deal. No going back.

You need to go to your dealer (with your car) and ask them to cut you a new key and program a remote for you.

If they have one of those key/remote in one thingies, the better for you.

97 SC does not have a key with a button. My 97 SC has a separate 4 button key fob (4th button is PANIC on the back). You can find replacements online or on e-bay (that's where I got mine). Make sure the FCC ID number on the back of the remote is the correct one for your car. The remote may look the same, but could have a different FCC ID code and will not work. My 97 SC has a code of HYQWDT-C. That should be the one you need. When you get the remote, I can give you programming instructions.

A good place for keys is Sewell. You MUST register with the national Lexus owners database to get one from them. They cut the key friom your VIN. If you do NOT have the integrated remote & key, life is MUCH cheaper.

Good luck

Thanks to all that helped. Following jbarhorst2's post I was able to confirm that the 97 SC400 did not have the remote on the key and so only the remote key fob was needed. My dealer said he was more than happy to oblige at $199 for the fob and $99 to program it. Right!

Couldn't find anything on ebay, but did find keylessride online for $69. New Lexus keyfob remote with programming. And yes RedRocket "life is much cheaper if you don't have the integrated remote and key".

thanks all

I also use keylessride and for same reason. Heck of a lot cheaper than Lexus dealer which wanted close to $300 for one key with programming. Fob has further advantage of being able to work at greater distance than stock transponder key, at least if owner's manul is correct.

I'm just having problem getting fob to work, as I've posted. Keyless tech is trying to help. Good luck.

try a search of the whole forum next time and you could have saved the 100 to program the key

it is only a few buttons to press and about 3 minutes

it is in the es 300 section

as all 97 and up lexus went to the key for except the gs with more buttons on the key in 98