15k Service $440 - Why So Much?

mikek753

Hello all,

Based on service schedule for 15k service from Lexus and alldata

just oil and oil filter have to be replaced and tires rotated.

Then, why it cost $440 for 15k service in SF Bay Area?

Based on service desc. paper I got from my friend who had it done they replaced in additional:

17801-0H010 ELEMENT Sub - Assy, AI - $26.

and

00279-80W90 gear lube - $17.16 (looks like a 3Q)

then

00279-000T4-01 ATF - $5

What are those? and what are those for? :wacko:

Yes, I know Lexus can charge any $$$, but for one year service it's kind of too much - IMHO.

Thanks for answers.

17801-0H010 ELEMENT Sub - Assy, AI - $26.

is Air Filter and can be found at

http://www.toyotaaccessory.com/store/produ...Product_ID=1680

for $12.06

any better prices are very welcome.

how often it has to be replaced?

why transmission oil has to be replaced? and how often?

thanks

Thats about what I paid. Its a little more involved than an oil change and tire rotation (thats the 5k service, $240) but its still high. You've got to factor in if having the loaner is worth it to you and then decide if you want to keep on having it serviced at the dealer or not.

This is what they do:

Oil change

Tire rotation

Inspect air filter

Inspect Braking system

Inspect steering linkage

Inspect drive shaft boots

Re-torque flange bolts (on applicable models)

Inspect body and chassis bolts

Inspect belts and hoses

Inspect fluid levels

Change transmission fluid

Change differential fluid

Replace air filter

Test drive

Wash

Thats about what I paid. Its a little more involved than an oil change and tire rotation (thats the 5k service, $240) but its still high. You've got to factor in if having the loaner is worth it to you and then decide if you want to keep on having it serviced at the dealer or not.

This is what they do:

Oil change

Tire rotation

Inspect air filter

Inspect Braking system

Inspect steering linkage

Inspect drive shaft boots

Re-torque flange bolts (on applicable models)

Inspect body and chassis bolts

Inspect belts and hoses

Inspect fluid levels

Change transmission fluid

Change differential fluid

Replace air filter

Test drive

Wash

why Lexus wants change ATF and differential and Ait Filter for 15k? instead for 30k?

Any reason doing that twice often?

tnx

Trans fluid should be changed at 30k MINIMUM! There's no need to change it before then. Diff fluid???? I've seen a differential from a 1954 Chevy with the original factory fluid in and it's clean, clear, and the gears show no signs of wear at all. And the rest of all that "inspection" stuff is for the birds to be honest. I would say the oil change and air filter change are the only things which really need to be done, so I would figure $60.00 MAX.

All the rest is pure dealer profit, with or without the loaner.

Its changed at 15k because they've had some issues with wear related issues on the V6 transmissions. Its an amendment to the maintenance schedule.

I'd have it changed every 15k, especially if you want Lexus to cover any kind of transmission repair out of warranty.

Dealer profit sure, but I would have every item on the maintenance schedule done. Do it cheaper somewhere else if you want but these cars are not as perfect as everyone thinks they are nor is Lexus as easy to deal with as everyone thinks they are if you ever have a problem. If you've followed their maintenance schedule and can prove it you're just that much more ahead.

Paying to have the tranny flushed is a pittance when you think of the fact that a transmission for this car is $4-7k.

I mean, its a $40,000 car. Whats $400 every year to have this done? I'm not saying you need to have it done at the dealer, but I would have it done to protect yourself, plus the records look great for resale.

Personally I have it done at the dealer just out of laziness.

Its changed at 15k because they've had some issues with wear related issues on the V6 transmissions. Its an amendment to the maintenance schedule.

I'd have it changed every 15k, especially if you want Lexus to cover any kind of transmission repair out of warranty.

in my 2004 owner's manual supplement book it's stated that ATF has to be replaced at 60k!!! if vehicle is operated primarily while towing.

That's why I asked that question about 15k.

I don't mind to change ATF, but I'd like to comply with schedule maintance and do not void warranty - that's all.

Is everyone changing ATF every 15k?

in my 2004 owner's manual supplement book it's stated that ATF has to be replaced at 60k!!! if vehicle is operated primarily while towing.

I don't mind to change ATF, but I'd like to comply with schedule maintance and do not void warranty - that's all.

Hi: Changing fluid every 15k is the best policy againts trans failure. Also changing the filter every 30 even as it is not listed plus cleaning the magnet on the pan es the best thing to assure an everlasting transmission. C. PR

I agree that the cars cost alot some what is the $$$$ at the dealer. It is like people who complain that I spent $700 on a timing belt, water pump, drive belts and cam/crank seals...This is dirt compared to other things and I do not want to do it.

But on the other hand, I can buy the same items cheaper or buy better fluids cheaper.

Also since driving, I have never ever change ATF at 15K intervals. I do it about double that and never had any issues. Same with my avg 12K oil drains. My last Ford F350 diesel had the word famous E40D (junk tranny) and it did just fine.

Trans fluid should be changed at 30k MINIMUM! There's no need to change it before then.  Diff fluid????  I've seen a differential from a 1954 Chevy with the original factory fluid in and it's clean, clear, and the gears show no signs of wear at all.  And the rest of all that "inspection" stuff is for the birds to be honest.  I would say the oil change and air filter change are the only things which really need to be done, so I would figure $60.00 MAX.

All the rest is pure dealer profit, with or without the loaner.

To long here. My last diff fluid looked like mud after 20K miles and that was with Ford blend gear fluid.

Call me dumb here, but the diff hold less then 1 qt and why are we not draining it?

I don't know about 'everyone', but I take the car in at the recommended intervals and have the recommended work done. Maintenance is one place I don't cut corners.

The dealer is ripping you off, Take it to Toyota and get it done for half or 2/3 the cost of the Lexus dealership. Oh sorry, they may not wash your car, big deal. Take it around the corner and buy a real car wash with detailing, and then go to a nice resturant for the money you saved. Put the rest in the bank and enjoy.

I do the same tranny drain and fill the dealer does on the 15's, except it cost me less than $20.

steviej

would it be enough just to drain old ATF and add new ATF? Any thing else need to be done?

thanks.

The dealer is ripping you off,  Take it to Toyota and get it done for half or 2/3 the cost of the Lexus dealership.  Oh sorry, they may not wash your car, big deal.  Take it around the corner and buy a real car wash with detailing, and then go to a nice resturant for the money you saved.  Put the rest in the bank and enjoy.

I don't think you're going to find that a Toyota dealer can do the same job for half the cost. They're probably not doing everything. The savings are probably more like 1/4 - and not having to deal with rental car issues make up for most of that.

I had toyota change the timing belt and water pump and they were exactly 1/3 the price quoted by Lexus. I have had the quick lube do the oil changes and was only charged $19 at toyota.

I have a Toyota and a Lexus and yes you do pay a premium at Lexus, but they're not really ripping you off. They're providing a service that is well received by many owners, just because you're not interested in it doesn't mean they're ripping people off. I had the Prius in the shop today and had a Hyundai loaner with no free gas and 150 miles to use while my fiance tooled around in my Lexus all day.

I appreciate dropping my car off in the nice atmosphere with the friendly service reps, getting into a nice clean Lexus loaner (which I get to choose between an ES and an RX) with a full tank of FREE GAS. To me its worth the money and I appreciate the service.

Right for me, not right for you and thats fine. Not a ripoff though.

would it be enough just to drain old ATF and add new ATF? Any thing else need to be done?

thanks.

Mike,

The 15k service is simple if you have a Saturday afternoon and the right tools.

The two big things are the tranny drain and fill. They simply drain what is in the tranny pan (about 3.5 qts) and refill with new. They don't drop the pan, they don't flush the entire system. I actually created a thread with pictures for doing it yourself in the driveway. It is easier than doing the oil and filter. Here is the link:

Although for a 2002, the 2005 is the same.

2002+ ES Tranny Drain and Fill

The oil and filter is a piece of cake but takes some angling of your arm to get the old filter out. I can walk you through it if you are interested.

The tire rotation can be done by you even with the jack in your trunk if you don't have a floor jack. It just takes longer. The rest is Brake Fluid/PS fluid and coolant fluid inspection/top off. The air filter is changed as is the cabin filter. All of which can be done by you.

The reason for the high price is that Lexus service works on a time alotment basis. Each fluid replacement is alotted 1 hour. At $95 to $120 per hour, that jacks the price up quickly. Luckily, the 15k, 45k, 75k services only have two fluids.

I do the oil and filter and tranny drain myself. The dealer only does the brake fluid, PS fluid and coolant on the 30k, 60k etc. The only reason for that is I don't want to mess with coolant and Ps fluids and the brakes are power flushed.

think about it. you can save some hard earned money here. I do agree with SW in the respect that if I do have to bring the car in for service, I prefer going to Lexus just for the ease, comfort, and how they treat me.

steviej

Thank you very much - I own you :cheers:

I've already changed Oil Filter followed your and others recommendations :P

the next time it will take from me just seconds plus wait time for oil drain.

I installed oil valve drain - so just one click and oil drains - no mess / even no needs for glaws

Also I rotated tires by using car's jack - it took about 30 min for 5 tires rotations - was very good exersize - no need to go to gym (at work I'm sitting all day long).

What is good way to document services I've done? Yes, I keep receits for oil and filters and wrote the record to my service car book.

Also I plan to buy a floor jack, but don't know which one.

Please check my thread floor jack

Also I subscribled to alldata, but your instructions are way better.

Mike.

Thank you very much - I own you  :cheers:

My cat is the only living being that own's me. :P :lol:

I think you meant to say owe me, to that I say not a problem.

What is good way to document services I've done? Yes, I keep receits for oil and filters and wrote the record to my service car book.

Mike.

That is all I do in addtion to keeping a small 3x5 notebook in the console to jot down mileage and date of whenever I do anything to the car.

steviej

Thank you very much - I own you  :cheers:

I've already changed Oil Filter followed your and others recommendations  :P

the next time it will take from me just seconds plus wait time for oil drain.

I installed oil valve drain - so just one click and oil drains - no mess / even no needs for glaws

Also I rotated tires by using car's jack - it took about 30 min for 5 tires rotations - was very good exersize - no need to go to gym (at work I'm sitting all day long).

Also I plan to buy a floor jack, but don't know which one.

Please check my thread floor jack

Also I subscribled to alldata, but your instructions are way better.

Mike.

mikek753, Although the oil valve drain is a good concept you really have to watch out for road debris damaging the valve, It could be damaged while you are driving and oil will be leaking out when you are driving and you wouldn't know it.