Oil And Filter Recommendations?

After I pick this car up and drive it back I will want to give it its first-with-me oil change. Any thoughts on that? I presume this is just personal preference but are there recommends on oil brand/weight, filter brand? I live in Utah so we are headed to colder months--not arctic or anything like that, mostly 20's, sometimes in the teens. I have been staying with Valvoline, Mobile One recently. Any need to use the High Mile oil versions, this car is of course high mile at 175k for a 98LS.

Ditto, minus the oem filter. 108k miles.

Hello: I use the K&N Air and Oil filter, they are both great products. The Prolong Oil treatment is also a good thing to protect the engine from the hars temperatures it faces. Castrol, Mobil 1 are great oils. Lucas Oil stabilizer are great also, I use all of them in my Lex. Changed it every 5,000 miles as the book says and Mobil 1 sells an oil for that type of oil change. A cousing of mine used Castrol and his car lasted him over 30 plus years until he sold it. Rebuilt the engine twice, after using Prolong never had to adjust valves again, before had to do it once a year. I am not receiving any money or anything from any of this products, want to put that clear. Had a Mitsubishi Diamante with over 220,000 miles on the engine with prolong on it using K &N Filters.

C. PR

So is Castrol considered 'cheap' oil? I think that is what was used on the last oil change. Bleah.

:

Hello: I use the K&N Air and Oil filter, they are both great products. The Prolong Oil treatment is also a good thing to protect the engine from the hars temperatures it faces. Castrol, Mobil 1 are great oils. Lucas Oil stabilizer are great also, I use all of them in my Lex. Changed it every 5,000 miles as the book says and Mobil 1 sells an oil for that type of oil change. A cousing of mine used Castrol and his car lasted him over 30 plus years until he sold it. Rebuilt the engine twice, after using Prolong never had to adjust valves again, before had to do it once a year. I am not receiving any money or anything from any of this products, want to put that clear. Had a Mitsubishi Diamante with over 220,000 miles on the engine with prolong on it using K &N Filters.

C. PR

So is Castrol considered 'cheap' oil?  I think that is what was used on the last oil change.  Bleah. 

:

C. PR

Castrol is a top brand. I've been using it exclusively since the 1960's. I use the Castrol synthetic blend now in my IS.

Castrol had the first 2 stroke oil that didn't gum up the motors and exhausts on motorcycles. The original had a castor bean base and gave a "different" odor at the race tracks, but it sure did work.

So is Castrol considered 'cheap' oil?  I think that is what was used on the last oil change.  Bleah. 

:

C. PR

Castrol is a top brand. I've been using it exclusively since the 1960's. I use the Castrol synthetic blend now in my IS.

Castrol had the first 2 stroke oil that didn't gum up the motors and exhausts on motorcycles. The original had a castor bean base and gave a "different" odor at the race tracks, but it sure did work.

Hi: I am in complete agreement, Castrol is one of the best lubricants around, regular or synthetic.

C. PR

Mobil 1 at Walmart is only 20.68 and now Walmart carries their own brand of full synthetic for 12.80 that makes oil changes cheap, I still use Toyota filters, but may consider Wix, or something else. By the way those prices are for 5 Quarts.

Mobil 1 at Walmart is only 20.68 and now Walmart carries their own brand of full synthetic for 12.80 that makes oil changes cheap, I still use Toyota filters, but may consider Wix, or something else.  By the way those prices are for 5 Quarts.

Hi: The reason why I recommend using K & N filters is because you can leave them for 10,000 miles, or up to 14,000 miles if you do your changes every 7,000 miles as per manafacture of the filter they can last up to 2 1/2 the average filter mileage. Using a good filter ensures you will not have clogged up lubrication lines in the engine. I would also do a once a year oil change with valvoline, since it cleans the engine really good, but I will not recommend it for usage everyday, but for 3 months out of 12, because is too detergent. Synthetic oil is great oil to use but if you had the car almost from new. if not it tends to eat up the gaskets and packings related to the oil system. I used synthetic it in the millitary and we had many leaks, the engines were clean and good and lasted a long time, aircraft jet engines that is, but had to replace many packing and gaskets because the oil eats them up with time and heat. I used it in a car that was new, never had a problem. But as an owner that is up to you, I am only recommending and giving my grain of salt. Besides the oil the filter is the second best part of the lubrication system in we as owners can have input, about its quality, or price.

C. PR

In making the conversion from Dino to syn I have gone through 3 cycles of the Mobil 7500 extended mileage synthetic blend (although I haven't pushed it past 5K miles). I plan on switching to Mobil 1 100% synthetic next time since I haven't noticed any leaks.

I use a Purolator Pure One filter - gotta love the microfiltration. Regardless of filter manufacturer, I wouldn't leave it in and just change the oil as recomended above. Your filter is critical in the flow department and if you leave it in too long then eventually it is going to get clogged and cut back on your oil flow.

I suppose it's possible that, like their air filters, K&N oil filters let larger particulates pass through so they don't clog as readily, but I prefer more filtration and to change the filter.