Es300 Model Year 1993 Transmission Issue

dchauhan

This is weird.

My ES300 is acting up:

The car runs for 300 feet and slowly stops even when engaged in Drive. The engine would keep idling but the car would not move. After turning the engine off and restarting the car it would go forward for 200 -300 feet and stall.

Can any one help diagnose the problem!

Thanks,

Thank you for your help.

I did check the transmission fluid level as suggested and the level is fine. The Kwik Car (Lube place) mechanic says: The transmission solenoids are bad! This will need to be checked and may cost anywhere from $1200 t0 $1500!

I am confused and I am not sure is it worth it!!

Please advice.

Thank you,

Low transmission fluid

Make sure it will rev up to 6, 7000rpm in neutral without a problem & that it's not just an engine problem.

In any event you need to check the transmission fluid IMMEDIATLY, it takes about 10-15 min of driving on low fluid to burn the clutches up - requiring a new unit, or a rebuild.

Warm the engine up idling & shift throguh all the gears. Get out & check the transmission fluid against the HOT marks (high set)

This is weird.

My ES300 is acting up:

The car runs for 300 feet and slowly stops even when engaged in Drive. The engine would keep idling but the car would not move. After turning the engine off and restarting the car it would go forward for 200 -300 feet and stall.

Thanks,

Low transmission fluid

Make sure it will rev up to 6, 7000rpm in neutral without a problem & that it's not just an engine problem.

In any event you need to check the transmission fluid IMMEDIATLY, it takes about 10-15 min of driving on low fluid to burn the clutches up - requiring a new unit, or a rebuild.

Warm the engine up idling & shift throguh all the gears. Get out & check the transmission fluid against the HOT marks (high set)

Thank you for your help.

I did check the transmission fluid level as suggested and the level is fine. The Kwik Car (Lube place) mechanic says: The transmission solenoids are bad! This will need to be checked and may cost anywhere from $1200 t0 $1500!

Please advice.

Thank you,

I've got to agree w/ sk on the screen/filter cleaning. In my case it was clogged which prevented the tranny fluid from getting to the pump, which burnt up my clutches. BTW how does your fluid smell? Is the color brown or wine red? When you clean your screen if you see fibres there then you've got clutch deterioration--> bad sign.

Check it quickly as toys said, my penalty for waiting and driving was having to buy a used tranny (US$800) which i'll swap shortly.

Whaaaaaat 1200-1500 for shift solenoids? No way! Check the attached pic for where they're located at.

Download the 1994 Camry repair manual & open the A541E transmission pdf. Use it's directions for testing everything.

Thank you very much.

I had the car towed at a family run repair shop (pretty reliable based on past experience) and the diagnostics was:

The engine mounts are busted and the struts (all four) needs to be replaced. Apparantly, due to the busted engine mounts, the engine gets raised up durring acceleration and the drive shaft comes loose from the gear box!!

Please advice if this is possible at all!!

The total job of replacing the engine mounts, servicing the transmission and changing the struts plus towing will cost around $ 1300.00.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards,

wow, never heard of that happening, but if the engine did indeed rise up and disconnect the drive shafts, they would not normally clip themselves back in. That is just too weird. The struts, are you talking about the suspension struts or the engine stabilizer strut?

I've never heard of it. It normally takes human being's a large lever & a sledge hammer to get the axles out.

With the enigne running reach over & pull the throttle open by hand. If the engine bucks a few inches I guess it's possible in theory.

Whaaaaaat 1200-1500 for shift solenoids? No way! Check the attached pic for where they're located at.

Download the 1994 Camry repair manual & open the A541E transmission pdf. Use it's directions for testing everything.

Thank you very much.

I had the car towed at a family run repair shop (pretty reliable based on past experience) and the diagnostics was:

The engine mounts are busted and the struts (all four) needs to be replaced. Apparantly, due to the busted engine mounts, the engine gets raised up durring acceleration and the drive shaft comes loose from the gear box!!

Please advice if this is possible at all!!

The total job of replacing the engine mounts, servicing the transmission and changing the struts plus towing will cost around $ 1300.00.

Thanks for all your help.

Best Regards,

parts cost for your list ~$700+towing

I agree, this mechanic is milking the job. Something is major wrong with his diagnostics. I am with SK something with the filter in the tranny.

Hello,

Have you gotten a second opinion? ? ? ? ?

Two words....

SECOND OPINION!!

Two more...

THIRD OPINION (if necessary)!

(oops - that was four).

I would definitely spend some $$$ to have this checked out at another shop - and another. From your description, it could be a multitude of things. Sounds to me like your shop is taking a stab in the dark in diagnosing the cause.

I'm not saying they're trying to scam you. But I'd want to know for sure before I shelled out that kind of cash.

I would kick myself hard if I spent $1300 on repairs only to find out the problem was still not corrected.

IMHO

tck...

This sounds like what happened to my car (same year and model). The culprit was a transmission part which sheared off somehow and got into the gearwork, wrecking the tranny. New tranny fixed the problem. :)

This is weird.

My ES300 is acting up:

Thanks,

Thank you for your help.

Please advice.

Thank you,