Clunk

denslexusgx470

ok. so i needed to buy some hardwood flooring for my next home. i bought some at home depot. now, 2 years ago, i bought flooring for my current home. i needed 15 or 17 boxes for my homes. now for my next home, i need, 50 boxes.

what i did to save my GX a big burden, was to split it into 2 trips. first trip, i placed 20 boxes. 2nd trip, 30 boxes.

now here's the weight of it.

1 box = 22 lbs

20 boxes = 440 lbs

30 boxes = 660 lbs

that 220 lbs difference really gave the GX a little hard time on the second time around. i remember it took about a mile or so before the rear could reach it's normal height again with all that weight.

now that's done, lately i've been noticing that the clunk comes back more often. could the weight of the flooring have stretched the universal joint in the driveshaft or something??:cries:

SF_Toyota_131_135.jpg

This is a picture of a Toyota u-joint. There's no possible way to stretch a joint... I've seen them twist or break due to excessive horsepower, torque or driveline angles. Your GX doesn't have enough power to do this...

See the 1350 joint on the right? ... I run this on my 650HP/700lbs torque Hemi car that can twist the rear axle like a pretzel.

U-joints allows for the driveline angle and couples the drive shaft to the yokes at each end.

doublecardan.jpg

Above are two different style drive shafts, the lower one is probably closer to the one on your GX... (ignore the double cardan design).

If you look at the lower drive shaft, on the far left, you'll see a polished shaft... that's called a slip-yoke. This part slips inside the transfer case and into the output shaft splines. The splines are also machined inside the slip-yoke.... when this is all mated up the drive shaft turns and slips in and out as your rear suspension goes up and down.

Look at the drive shaft on top and you'll notice... 1) the slip-yoke at the far left is eliminated. 2) the "slip" is built into the main part of the shaft on the right. 3) the main part of the shaft is longer and allows for better geometry. This is a more robust design for a 4x4... however, would also require the transfer case output housing and output shaft be completely redesigned. It is very expensive and probably not available for a GX from the aftermarket.

From what I've read on this site, Lexus has temporarily fixed the weak link by coating the slip-yoke with Teflon. You may want to have Lexus install the new shaft on your GX.

I doubt hauling 650 pounds made your cluck worse... this may be just a coincidence.

ok. just making sure. why i asked this was because my dad back then (with a jeep) hauled like, bricks, on it. He said it had a hard time and once he removed the bricks, the whole driveshaft just gave up or something. so i was thinking the same for my GX. :wacko:

just checking... :whistles:

What is the percentage of owners that have this clunk and how loud is it? I must admit I have never heard it before, but then, I had my GX only for 2 days only.

I've had my GX for a year now, and I think I did feel what people are talking about once. I stopped at a stop sign, and felt a clunk after I had stopped. Instinctively, I looked behind me to see if someone had bumped me, but no vehicle was there. I only noticed it that once though, so it has not been a problem for me.

Just bought a 05 GX, it now has about 60 miles on it. I think I have already experience what you guys called the cluck. It almost fell like a down shift. It is so slight that it doesn't bother me at all. Hope it doesn't get worst, other wise, the GX is the best SUV I have ever own.

Coming off a 03 MDX, the GX is a dream. The MDX has alot of these so call characteristic of the vehicle issues. Some of the more common ones are the brake cluck, the sloahing gas tank, a transmission that skips gears and the shifting driver seat.

Mine was really doing it today. Not driven any differently. But while at

a light (did it a couple of times) I looked back to see if the lady bumped the car. I do think its getting worse. This time it actually pushed the

car forward while holding the brake.

Mine was really doing it today.  Not driven any differently.  But while at

a light (did it a couple of times) I looked back to see if the lady bumped the car.  I do think its getting worse.  This time it actually pushed the

so r u gonna try and get that fixed?? i doubt ur 05 will qualify for the teflon driveshaft. I havent tried the teflon driveshaft, nor have asked about it, but for sure i'd qualify for it. :geek:

When get some time will call my service advisor and let him know it is doing

it. Than at least it will be on record and if they do consider 05 for the fix

will have my complaint logged

Mine was really doing it today.  Not driven any differently.  But while at

a light (did it a couple of times) I looked back to see if the lady bumped the car.  I do think its getting worse.   This time it actually pushed the

so r u gonna try and get that fixed?? i doubt ur 05 will qualify for the teflon driveshaft. I havent tried the teflon driveshaft, nor have asked about it, but for sure i'd qualify for it. :geek:

• 1 month later...

I am one very unhappy Lexus customer!!! :censored:

I have an '04 GX-470 with the "clunk"!!!

When at a stop, I press the button on the center console to lower the suspension, I get the clunk-clunk-clunk!!! I also get it when coming to a stop after normal driving!

The problem has been going on for well over a year. The dealer has replaced the drive shaft and tried other fixes and I still have the problem!

The dealer is telling me that they have never heard of this problem!!!! Haha, I'm glad I found this web site!

Not only that but the dealer (LONGO lexus in So. Cal.) told me that their policy is to tell the customer that if they can't figure it out, then it is considered normal!!! :censored::censored:

To make matters worse, over a month ago, I called the toll free Lexus customer service number and registered my complaint. Helloooo, is anybody home???

No returned phone calls, no supervisor call back and my car still clunks!!!

I can not believe the total lack of Lexus customer service!!!