Toyota - All Hybrid Future?

Lexusfreak

From CanadianDriver.com:

September 14, 2005

Toyota executive says company sees all-hybrid future

Frankfurt, Germany – Speaking at the Frankfurt Auto Show, Toyota Executive Vice-President Kazuo Okamoto said all of the company's vehicles will eventually be based on hybrid powertrains.

Although Okamoto would not specify a timeline for full hybrid production, he indicated that Toyota aims to increase hybrid production by 60 per cent in 2006 and will cut costs and prices to make them more affordable. Toyota has stated that it plans to sell one million hybrids a year by 2010.

:cheers:

I agree it looks nice but the delta in price has to make you a profit over XX miles.

I would not lease one since I think for the XXXX dollars more (for "h") during the time you will not save that amount.

So if the Hybrid (h) are about $5K more then normal ones you better drive alot to make up for the $5,000 you need to save to break even.

That's 100% right. The amount in gas you will save isn't anywhere close to the $10,000 in price b/t a reg. and a hybrid. Therefore there really isn't much of a reason to GET a hybrid yet.

That's why i HATE when i hear people who own a 400h say how great their mileage is; and how much money they're saving! They're never gonna save more than non-400h ppl unless they own the thing for a million miles.

although the prius is a great deal. The price is just right for the size with the great mileage. The prius gets WAY better mileage than the 400h. Anyone who bought a prius in the past few years are the smartest car buyers if you ask me. That's just my opinion.

This was in the news yesturday:

Katsuaki Watanabe, the president of Toyota Motor says he has

told his engineering chief to find a way to cut in half the price

difference between fuel-efficient gas-electric hybrids and similar gasoline

models.

"I have given instructions to Mr. Takimoto to do that," he said,

referring to Masatami Takimoto, executive vice president in charge

of Toyota's worldwide research and development. "I assume Mr.

Takimoto must be racking his brain about how to do that," Watanabe said,

acknowledging that hybrid components are much more expensive than gasolineengines.

One way to cut costs would be to make hybrid components in the

USA instead of shipping them from Japan. He said that was possible but

not likely soon.

I damn well hope they don't make cutting corners by getting US source parts over Japanese ones.

Would definitely keep me from buying one.

BTW the savings is not just in gas it also includes reduced maintenance intervals timing belts,no serpintine belt, extended oil changes from design , brakes and other deleted items.

Which equal $1000 for regular services of timing belts and such .So add that to your tax rebates and you make the 5000 difference real quick in just one service nixed for and others made to almost twice as long.

I damn well hope they don't make cutting corners by getting US source parts over Japanese ones.

Would definitely keep me from buying one.

BTW the savings is not just in gas it also includes reduced maintenance intervals timing belts,no serpintine belt, extended oil changes from design , brakes and other deleted items.

Which equal $1000 for regular services of timing belts and such .So add that to your tax rebates and you make the 5000 difference real quick in just one service nixed for and others made to almost twice as long.

I agree there are costs they you do not have but I am sure these savings go to other items that need upkeep. Electric motors and other things at times are more then a little timing belt or a $100 in oil a year.

Plus I know (more or less) the long term useage factor on gas engine. And on the Hybrid, it is still known right now....

I wouldn't mind it.

With the Kentucky plant building hybrids now for the '07 year (Camry), and the fact that it always seems like there's a dozen things built of the Camry platform - it's not a conservative goal. Seriously, anyone see a corolla engine bay lately? Take all the cladding out & you could drop the current i4 hybrid drivetrain in there with little effort. Just figure out where to mount the battery packs.

I would expect as soon as TMMK starts pumping out Camry's (If the market buys many) the price of all Toyota's North American built hybrids will go down as they build more.

The hybrid drivetrain isn't going to throw maintenance costs out the window. You're still going to go the same periods as the other engines.

This is easily seen today by comparing the maintenance on the ECHO against the Prius. There is no difference. Drive belts are still checked beginning at 60,000 miles, and inspected/replaced in 15,000 mile intervals. Everything is the same.