Would You Purchase The Rx400h Again?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a purchase of the RX400h.

Does anyone have any regrets or gripes that would cause them to reconsider the purchase if you were able to do it all over again?

I know some of the issues that I have seen identified in this forum are:

- Questionable gas mileage (not living up to expectations of some owners)

- Un-intended highway acceleration

- Less than quality or luxury materials in and around vehicle (e.g., plastic materials on door interior rather than leather)

- Apparently no gauge reading of miles remaining until gas is empty

- No tire pressure monitoring system (soon a federal government requirement)

- Air conditioner blowing warm air

- Air conditioner blowing cold air on the passenger side of the vehicle

- No wood on steering wheel (considering the “wood upgrade” dealer option)

- Trouble getting the vehicle with the Mark Levinson system (I am encountering this)

I want better gas mileage than my ES300 provides (historically 22.4 mpg) and a safer feeling during winter driving (I do not drive fast in the snow, but I have slid off the road in the snow more than my share of times). My ES300 is rear-wheel drive, making winter driving treacherous.

Yes, RX330 my driving to and from NYC was 16-17, RX400 25

Other highway driving up to 27.8 and I only have 1,200 miles

None of the other problems

And get ready for more power that you will ever need

And it will make most drivers drive more conservative.

Cost me $20k to upgrade a 2yr old rx330

Would do it again in a second

Just think what the next one will be like.

Get it now, were not on this earth very long...

Does anyone have any regrets or gripes that would cause them to reconsider the purchase if you were able to do it all over again?

- Less than quality or luxury materials in and around vehicle (e.g., plastic materials on door interior rather than leather)

- Trouble getting the vehicle with the Mark Levinson system (I am encountering this)

I want better gas mileage than my ES300 provides (historically 22.4 mpg) and a safer feeling during winter driving (I do not drive fast in the snow, but I have slid off the road in the snow more than my share of times).  My ES300 is rear-wheel drive, making winter driving treacherous.

I miss the wood, and the distance to empty, but I would not hesitate to buy this car again. I LOVE this car. I enjoy the aceleration, I don't drive that much to use that much gas, but get decent mpg. It is certainly more thrifty on gas than the 330, the air conditioner works great (you have separate temperature adjustments for the passenger and driver) even in traffic, etc. There was never a DTE which I had on my '94 Chrysler LHS, so I had to get used to that on my original RX300. The glass seems to keep the car cooler than the older RX300, too.

My biggest unhappiness (not a biggie) is that the body side molding should be a tiny bit thicker so people couldn't dent my door when opening theirs and there is no iPod connection.

I want better gas mileage than my ES300 provides (historically 22.4 mpg) and a safer feeling during winter driving (I do not drive fast in the snow, but I have slid off the road in the snow more than my share of times).  My ES300 is rear-wheel drive, making winter driving treacherous.

I only have 400 miles on my car but have the following observations:

1. My gas mileage has been about what I expected, 27 combined hway/city.

2. I have no complaints about materials used or quality controls.

3. I find the missing remaining miles guage annoying, but not critical. In a luxury vehicle at this price, there is no reason to not have that option.

4. Again, tire pressure system is an annoyance and at this level should be standard.

5. I have had no problems with the climate control.

6. Don't particularly care about the wood.

7. Listened to the Levinson system and elected not to get it. The only difference I saw was about 100 watts of power which I would never use anyway.

8. I think it is negligent not to have a satellite ready radio system in the car.

9. I think it is ludicrous to disable the navigation and phone systems when the vehicle is in motion (though I have already hacked the navigation portion and now get full functionality when moving. Still working on the phone.)

10. I find the car somewhat susceptible to torque steer during acceleration and I also find it has a tendency to pull to either side during braking.

11. There are certainly better AWD systems available on the market (BMW X drive and Audi Quattro to name two) and I am surprised that Lexus elected to focus it's powertrain on a front wheel drive configuration instead of balancing the power more equally through the drivetrain.

Then finally, there is the fun factor. This car is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage for the amount of power available and in my case, the dealer seems extremely competent. The verdict however is still out as to whether I would buy the car again.

Jon

I've had mine a few days and I still love it. The Mark Levinson though is not something to wait around for. Its not worth the $900+ and you can get a much better system at your local high-end stereo shop for that price. The ML would be excellent with a subwoofer.

Car is fast, gets excellent gas mileage, and the transmission is smooth like butter. I researched extensively from the new Mercedes ML to a Porsche Cayenne to a Infinity FX45 and firmly believe I made the best decision.

3. I find the missing remaining miles guage annoying, but not critical. In a luxury vehicle at this price, there is no reason to not have that option.

4. Again, tire pressure system is an annoyance and at this level should be standard.

7. Listened to the Levinson system and elected not to get it. The only difference I saw was about 100 watts of power which I would never use anyway.

8. I think it is negligent not to have a satellite ready radio system in the car.

9. I think it is ludicrous to disable the navigation and phone systems when the vehicle is in motion (though I have already hacked the navigation portion and now get full functionality when moving. Still working on the phone.)

10. I find the car somewhat susceptible to torque steer during acceleration and I also find it has a tendency to pull to either side during braking.

11. There are certainly better AWD systems available on the market (BMW X drive and Audi Quattro to name two) and I am surprised that Lexus elected to focus it's powertrain on a front wheel drive configuration instead of balancing the power more equally through the drivetrain.

Then finally, there is the fun factor. This car is fun to drive, gets great gas mileage for the amount of power available and in my case, the dealer seems extremely competent. The verdict however is still out as to whether I would buy the car again.

Jon

I totally agree with all. It's one of the best vehicles I've had.

PLEASE tell me how you over rode the Nav lock out when moving. email me if you would . ron@ronovers.com

Jon

PLEASE tell me how you over rode the Nav lock out when moving. email me if you would . ron@ronovers.com

Me too, would be nice to have the nav entry system.

I am EE, so that may help.

We have been totally happy with our RX400h. Our Nissan Quest GXE van averaged about 17 MPG and was as slow as molassis. We are now averaging better than 25 and everything works perfectly (4000 miles). I highly recommend this vehicle.

I was on a waiting list for about nine months and during that time i vacillated between the need for the 400h and spending more money on a vehicle than i ever had before. The wait gave me time to save money, i do use it for business in sales and light product delivery so i was able to justify it in that respect. My sales person also mentioned as i sat in the 400h for the first time, I could save ten grand and get a RX330 if i wanted. Then i drove the SUV. It is everything the previous posters say it is. Smooth ride, quickness, safe with decent fuel economy, I get 26 to 28 in mixed driving. The CVT is the smoothest thing i have ever experienced. Yes it is noisier under hard acceleration. I agree there is torque steer during harder acceleration, it is mainly a front wheel drive car. The brakes take a small amount of getting used to, they tend to be softer when the vehicle is regenerating power. Love the power as everyone else does, dont kid yourself we are about being green, but when the time comes that you need to move the 400h will put a smile on your face. It has changed the way i drive, coasting and being more aware of everything around me, and to my surprise i am much calmer in heavy traffic as i am saving fuel, its just a whole 'hybrid' train of thot that takes over you. As others have mentioned, there is no drive line, only an electric motor to drive the rear wheels, its not an off road 4x4, however most SUV's are not used off road. Regarding the Mark Levinson, i like it we have extremely few cars coming in the west coast with out it, I did listen to the Bose system in one orphan car that arrived on my dealers lot and that system is very competent, cars are noisy places for stereos anyway. (i almost bought that one but it was white) It is becoming very clear that short trips are a mpg killer on the 400h, so if your driving consists of alot of those be ready for gas mileage under 25. If i had a wish would be for a charcoal interior, ive become a detailing fool but still have some marks that are hard to remove inside the car. Most of us on the west coast paid msrp, so this is a good time for many of you to get discounts where supply is much greater. Gas is only going to get more expensive. I have had none of the other problems mentioned and i use regular gas. Long story even longer... i would do it again in a heartbeat.

Me too, would be nice to have the nav entry system.

I am EE, so that may help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how to unlock the navigation system while moving.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171662

It sure has come in handy being able to let my wife add or modify destinations while I'm driving...

As for the thread question, I wish it were a bit better on gas for short trips - especially since I have a 2.5 mile drive to & from my train station, but it still is the only vehicle that I would want at this point. Especially with the safety, power, comfort, and what should be good handling when the snow flies. Road trips have been great, as have been the regular 24 mi. round trips I do weekly.

I'm curious to see what 1 or 2 models down the line will have, but don't see us giving this one up for years..

I'm about to pull the trigger on a purchase of the RX400h.  Does anyone have any regrets or gripes that would cause them to reconsider the purchase if you were able to do it all over again?

I'd do it again, and after 5,000+ miles overall I'm quite happy with my RX400h.

I'm not thrilled with my mileage, as I do a measly 3 mile commute to work each day. This is the worst case scenario for hybrids, short trips on a cold engine. I'm getting 24-25 instead of 31. But it's a lot better than the 14-15 of my last SUV!

Never a problem for me.

No issues here. I find it very luxurious.

Had that in my last few vehicles, and none was anywhere near accurate. I don't miss it because I never trusted it.

Never had it. Don't need it. I check my pressure every so often.

No issues here. Mine works great.

No issues here.

Paid extra to get that on my last vehicle. Nice in a way I guess, but really a total waste of money. The "wood" isn't wood, and it's slippery with wet hands which isn't a good quality to have on a steering wheel.

I was told there are no ML systems in the northeast (I'm in NY). Bummer. I would have liked that. Never heard it, but now I see relatively negative comments on the system. The basic unit is fine, but not spectacular. At least it's not a horrible Bose which was my single biggest gripe with my last SUV.

Please keep in mind that AWD will *not* help you stop or steer in slippery conditions. It will only help you GO. Be very careful not to get overconfident just becasue you can now go faster in slippery conditions.

Good luck with your new ride!

• 3 months later...

I want better gas mileage than my ES300 provides (historically 22.4 mpg) and a safer feeling during winter driving (I do not drive fast in the snow, but I have slid off the road in the snow more than my share of times). My ES300 is rear-wheel drive, making winter driving treacherous.

After 2000 miles and some driving on snowy interstates, I can emphatically say that he 400h is highly reliable in winter, has great mileage (I cannot think of a 6 cylinder SUV that even comes close!) and it should be fun to drive in the summer. Navigation package is first rate. Overall, I would definitely buy it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 400h on May 2, 2005. I now have 12000+ miles on it. I love and would buy another in a heart beat. The ML system is worth the money. My 400h is fully loaded except for the Rear entertainment system. I have an 2000 ES 300 without ML and it can totally tell the difference. The sound is clear, vibrant and surrounds you.

I get 28-29 mpg on regular unleaded gas. I try to coast when I can and not accelerate too fast from stop.

no problems with it at all. Driven in heavy rain but not snow. highly recommended.

Got mine in April, 2005, also fully loaded except for RES. Have about 7500 miles on it. Driven in many different conditions, rain, deep sand, gravel, snow, ice, super hot and low altitude (death valley), mountains, etc. Installed a tow hitch on it and carry bikes around. Average 26 mpg. The minor complaints that I've had: door/fixture rattles (that are now fixed), no battery-only propulsion mode, ML sound system still lacks bass (I had to add in a subwoofer), and the "feel" of the door closing (no nice solid clunk like BMW's). Overall though I love the car and am super happy that I got it. Would do it over again.