Is The Leather On Your Steering Wheel Shiny?

LexKid630

This morning i had to go to my Lexus dealer to get the starter fixed (which they couldn't but that's in another post) on our CPO rx300.....when i was waiting i just walked around the lot and looked at some of the cars that were coming in for service.

I stumbled on a 2001 RX300 gold with the tan interior (really bad shape). When i say the inside was just plain filthy!! Some things i noticed were the BILLION DEEP ring marks on the wood steering wheel, that the wood looked 100000000 x10 years old (all dull from light and age), the cracks in the leather seats, and that the leather just looked extremely dirty (the worst thing you could do to a car if you ask me). The next thing i noticed was that the leather on the steering wheel was all shiny. i never noticed it but the leather on our CPO 03 rx300 has this shiny leather too!! I specifically remember on my other 03 rx when i bought it new, the leather on the steering wheel was totally flat (no shinyness at all).

on the way home after being stressed out at the fact that they couldn't fix the starter, every other second i kept looking down at the shine on the leather. Well it was bothering me so i just had to do something about it. (and i have OCD about these thing so...LOL)

When i got home i read on here that using woolite with water can clean the leather..so i tried EVERY possible ratio of water to the woolite as possible, and it didn't so zilch...I tried some of my wife's Lysol wipes, every soap i had in my house, i mean EVERY cleaner i had!!!! Then i thought about it some more and came up with the PERFECT solution....i thought that since the oils and such from your skin were soaked deep into the leather, the crap i was using wasn't getting deep enough!

So i tried rubbing alcohol!!! LOL

I put it on a towel and rubbed it into a little spot on the leather. UNBELIEVABLE!!! It takes the crap right off! Leaves the leather just like it should be; TOTALLY NOT shiny!!!!! It didn't take out the color, it is prefect! It looks so clean!

Then i applied some leather conditoner because i know it must have been soo dry with the alcohol..But now it's perfect...looks years newer!!!

Everyone should try it if you are sick of the crappy shiny look. it doesn't remove any of the coloring, and takes the oils right out of the leather. I am so happy now i can't believe i didn't tell you guys earlier LOL...WAY too much on my mind...

It has been softly sanded/smoothed and oiled by your hand over time.

You did not clean the leather but you dried out the natural and added oils that the leather needs to prevent it from cracking.

Not really something you want to do to any leather if you want it to last.

It has been softly sanded/smoothed and oiled by your hand over time.

You did not clean the leather but you dried out the natural and added oils that the leather needs to prevent it from cracking.

Not really something you want to do to any leather if you want it to last.

i applied a leather conditioner (oils meant for leather) after i was completed. i could tell it was dry after i was completed with the alcohol.

You should have seen the gunk that came off. All yellow....I couldn't stand looking at it anymore.

The first responsiblility a person has when cleaning is to not ruin the item you are cleaning. Lysol, alcohol, and "every soap i had in my house" does more damage than you can ever repair with leather conditioner. Woolite diluted is ok if you follow with a damp clean towel and let it dry, then condition.

All i know is that it looks and feels great now. I re-conditioned the leather and it's fine now. The oils i removed from it were doing much more harm than the oils i put back into it.

I also do know what those chemicals can do to certain materials. I tried it in little areas and watched very closely to make sure i wasn't taking the leather off literally. The products i used are safe you use on your actual skin therefore i assume they can be used on leather.

All i know is that it's fine now and the leather is conditoned and in perfect health.

lex has a degree in med and science (i think) trust i think he knows all about solutions and crap like that

This is a forum where all of us try to help each other. When someone posts that they have used all the cleaners in their home, most of them harmful to leather, as a 'remedy' they should be called out on it. My family has been in the cleaning business in seattle for over 45 years, as far as cleaning is concerned his degrees are three degrees below zero.

lex has a degree in med and science (i think) trust i think he knows all about solutions and crap like that

This is a forum where all of us try to help each other. When someone posts that they have used all the cleaners in their home, most of them harmful to leather, as a 'remedy' they should be called out on it. My family has been in the cleaning business in seattle for over 45 years, as far as cleaning is concerned his degrees are three degrees below zero.

I have to agree. I have not been in the profession of cleaning at all, and only can go by what i know. I informed everyone of what i did to get everyone elses opinions if i had dont the right or wrong thing.

Lex i mean no disrespect, with the stable of Lexi that you maintain you have broad knowledge on many issues that Lexus owners face everyday. My concern was to keep anything caustic, high or low in ph off the leather, as i noted Woolite is about the only cleaner i would use that is not a specific cleaner conditioner. Cleaning in general is viewed by people as a sort of 'magic', you really dont know why the result is happening but it does, its really a chemical change occuring. Americans also expect things to happen quickly and proper cleaning sometimes takes time and repeated applications of safe products. I have always been grateful for this forum, it has made the buying and owning experience of my 400h much more rewarding, and to know that there is a community of help out there is a comfort.

Please don't anyone ever do this to the leather in your car, house, whatever.

The leather on your steering wheel is coated, it has a thin film of a clear plastic compound on top of it to protect it. Leather wears as it ages and gets a "patina" thats just how leather is. Using rubbing alcohol or anything on the leather but a mild leather cleaner or a mild soap like Woolite will destroy this coating. Thats what LexKid has done, removed this plastic coating. The plastic coating protects the leather from UV damage etc, and it will definately not last as long because of this. The logic "it its okay for skin its okay for leather" is flawed because your skin is alive and regenerates, and it also hasn't been tanned, dyed, or coated. They are totally different materials.

Different cleaners are designed for different purposes. For instance you can't use bleach to clean dark blue carpet. You also can't use rubbing alcohol to clean leather.

If you keep the leather clean regularly it will stay new looking and matte for a long time.

Please don't anyone ever do this to the leather in your car, house, whatever.

The leather on your steering wheel is coated, it has a thin film of a clear plastic compound on top of it to protect it. Leather wears as it ages and gets a "patina" thats just how leather is. Using rubbing alcohol or anything on the leather but a mild leather cleaner or a mild soap like Woolite will destroy this coating. Thats what LexKid has done, removed this plastic coating. The plastic coating protects the leather from UV damage etc, and it will definately not last as long because of this. The logic "it its okay for skin its okay for leather" is flawed because your skin is alive and regenerates, and it also hasn't been tanned, dyed, or coated. They are totally different materials.

Different cleaners are designed for different purposes. For instance you can't use bleach to clean dark blue carpet. You also can't use rubbing alcohol to clean leather.

If you keep the leather clean regularly it will stay new looking and matte for a long time.

Oh wonderful i wish i knew that before i did it LOL

What do u suggest i do now besides condition it 24/7?

Not much you can do probably, I'd condition it regularly but my guess is it will start to deteriorate pretty quick.

Thats why you need to ask us before you go into uncharted territory.

Not much you can do probably, I'd condition it regularly but my guess is it will start to deteriorate pretty quick.

Thats why you need to ask us before you go into uncharted territory.

You said it better than I, however that is the reason i didnt want anyone else to follow with that type of caustic cleaning. I'm sure the wheel of one of Lex Kid's other lexi will fit on this vehicle...