Full Tank Of Gas , Meter Only Reading Half

billy hoang

its a 1993 lexus ls400 . i finally filled the tank up for the first time @ $2.75 a gallon . when i turned the car on , the needle only went up a little over half . so the problem isnt the needle right ? would it be the level thing in the gas tank ?

$250 bucks repair by Jim Walker. He will also make sure you will not have issues with dashboard lights in the winter. They blink or go out when its cold.

I have an issue where tacho and speedo stick on 0 until I smack the dash. They they bounce to right reading. Maybe its the humidity, but Jim does not know how to fix this.

$250 is a lot cheeper then the 1200 at LEXUS for a new control board.

its a 1993 lexus ls400 . i finally filled the tank up for the first time @ $2.75 a gallon . when i turned the car on , the needle only went up a little over half . so the problem isnt the needle right ? would it be the level  thing in the gas tank ?

yeah it could be the variable resistor on the sending unit in the gas tank the only problem is that you would have to take the fuel pump out

My 93 LS400 did the same thing. It was the dash needle malfunction. -warning light for near empty never failed. I lived with it along with the no light problem in the cold dash. Lights will giva a blinking show and come on when car is warm. If you haven't experienced this yet its just a matter of time I understand.

My 93 LS400 did the same thing. It was the dash needle malfunction. -warning light for near empty never failed. I lived with it along with the no light problem in the cold dash. Lights will giva a blinking show and come on when car is warm. If you haven't experienced this yet its just a matter of time I understand.

its a bad capacitor in the intrument panel. easy to replace. search this forum for exact part value and instructions.

its a 1993 lexus ls400 . i finally filled the tank up for the first time @ $2.75 a gallon . when i turned the car on , the needle only went up a little over half . so the problem isnt the needle right ? would it be the level  thing in the gas tank ?

yeah it could be the variable resistor on the sending unit in the gas tank the only problem is that you would have to take the fuel pump out

No need to pull out the pump for the sender unit. It would be right in front of you when you open the trunk, and take out the covers off the gas tank. Pretty simple job, just scary.

before you spend $250 or $1200 at dealer, try this

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=5822&

it's written for 94 LS4, but purportedly, the procedure works on 93.