Rx400h Dead Battery

Just talked to my brother. He has had his 400h for 1 month. He said the 12-volt battery is dead and it won't hold a charge. He also made some comments about the quality of the battery that I won't repeat here.

I assume that the battery is covered by the Lexus warranty and will be replaced for free if found to be defective?? If not, trash it and get an aftermarket battery???? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks. :cheers:

Battery is covered for a number of years ( I can't remember the number but I thought around 8). I'm sure they'd be happy to cover the problem with no question. They are the Best when it comes to being accommodating.

Battery is covered for a number of years ( I can't remember the number but I thought around 8). I'm sure they'd be happy to cover the problem with no question. They are the Best when it comes to being accommodating.

Hybrid battery is 8 yrs. Don't think they're that generous with the 12-volt battery, are they??

Believe me, batteries go DOA more often than you think. Even Optimas, the preferred battery of Corvette owners, sometimes die after only a few months. I'm sure Toyota doesn't actually make its 12 volt batteries. Rest assured though, that the warranty fully covers the battery (and almost everything else).

Oh yeah, Lexus will replace the battery for your brother.

Believe it or not delapadated batteries aren't really that uncommon in new cars. The batteries go dead then get jumped, dead then jumped several times while they're being built and sitting on lots and ships etc. After all that even the best quality batteries sometimes can't hold up. The Toyota battery is very high quality.

There was a TSB released two days ago for virtually all 04 and up Toyotas with JBL Amp. Turns out the Amp may be causing a parasitic draw on the battery that is too high. I wonder if a similar issue exists with the 400h...

Nate

see the dealer they will cover the battery

I told him that Lexus would make good on the battery. But, yesterday he bought an aftermarket, "heavy duty" Exide battery for the vehicle from a local parts house. Next visit to dealer: "Mr. Smith, you installed a non-OEM battery. Your warranty is invalidated." I can hear it now!! Don't know why I'm so paranoid?? <_<

Why in the world would he spend money on a battery unless it was late Saturday and all dealerships were closed?

He didn't want another OEM battery. He thought it was "cheap." So, he replaced it at his own expense. :( That's the story.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of battery is the "cheap" OEM battery?? I've never seen it.

Its just a battery...

If he wanted to replace it himself thats his perogative, it wont invalidate the warranty. Only wastes his $100 though. He probably bought too much battery too.

Its just a battery...

If he wanted to replace it himself thats his perogative, it wont invalidate the warranty. Only wastes his $100 though. He probably bought too much battery too.

I'm in total agreement with you but it was his decision to pay $52 for a new battery and avoid a trip to the Lexus dealer.

Guess he could have called Roadside Assistance and asked that they bring him a replacement battery, huh?? I'm sure they routinely do stuff like that :lol::lol::lol:

There is a TSIB (EG010-05) concerning the ISC Learning procedure to re-initialize the idle speed control if the 12v battery dies.

If this is not performed the following may happen:

1. The engine runs too long or more frequently than normal.

2. Reduced fuel economy.

3. Transmission gear "clatter" noise at idle is more pronounced.

I wonder if some of the complaints of poor fuel economy is related to this learning procedure not being performed after a battery dies.

There is a TSIB (EG010-05) concerning the ISC Learning procedure to re-initialize the idle speed control if the 12v battery dies.

2. Reduced fuel economy.

I wonder if some of the complaints of poor fuel economy is related to this learning procedure not being performed after a battery dies.

Where does one find these TSIBs??? :huh:

2. Reduced fuel economy.

Where does one find these TSIBs??? :huh:

TSIB is 'Technical Service Information Bulletin' and one must subscribe to it. I got a copy from my local Lexus technician. The procedure must be done by a qualified tech.

Guess he could have called Roadside Assistance and asked that they bring him a replacement battery, huh??  I'm sure they routinely do stuff like that :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My guess is they wouldn't have wanted to do that, they would want to check the car over well and make sure the battery didnt go because of some issue with the electrical system.

Guess he could have called Roadside Assistance and asked that they bring him a replacement battery, huh??  I'm sure they routinely do stuff like that :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My guess is they wouldn't have wanted to do that, they would want to check the car over well and make sure the battery didnt go because of some issue with the electrical system.

Steve...excellent point. I am in agreement with you. Unfortunately, the vehicle's owner is averse to any contact with the Lexus dealer. :( At this point, any service is DIY or independent mechanic. My concern about that approach is that, down the road, his vehicle will have poor resale value :( due to lack of dealer service records but I'm unfamiliar with Lexus pre-owned vehicle values. So, I really don't know for sure.

Generally its not an issue with resale value. As long as you keep good records and can show the maintenance has been performed properly he shouldn't have any issues.

My fear is the hybrid system, right now there are ZERO independent mechanics out there that know how to diagnose issues with the hybrid system. Does he truly understand what it is and why its different from a normal car?

For things like oil changes its not an issue, but it is for brakes for instance, and he even seems adverse to warranty work.

Generally its not an issue with resale value. As long as you keep good records and can show the maintenance has been performed properly he shouldn't have any issues.

My fear is the hybrid system, right now there are ZERO independent mechanics out there that know how to diagnose issues with the hybrid system. Does he truly understand what it is and why its different from a normal car?

For things like oil changes its not an issue, but it is for brakes for instance, and he even seems adverse to warranty work.

Yes, he knows about the hybrid system and how it is different from a "normal" car. He "read up" on it before purchasing the vehicle. That's why he wanted the vehicle, for the hybrid system and the improved fuel mileage.

I wouldn't say that he's "adverse to warranty work." He has always owned GM vehicles and he took them to the local GM dealer for warranty work. For non-warranty work, he went to a local independent mechanic that we know. However, the Lexus dealership is not convenient to go to. So, I'm not sure what's going to happen when the vehicle needs dealer service. Of course, he really won't have a choice since only a Lexus or Toyota dealer can work on the hybrid system.

At this point, I think the best thing I can do is butt out and let him do as he pleases. It's his car and he's a grownup.

Just talked to my brother.  He has had his 400h for 1 month.  He said the 12-volt battery is dead and it won't hold a charge.  He also made some comments about the quality of the battery that I won't repeat here.

I assume that the battery is covered by the Lexus warranty and will be replaced for free if found to be defective??  If not, trash it and get an aftermarket battery????  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.:cheers:

I too had a 12V battery failure.

Although covered under warranty, I was without my car for 10 days (after only 21 days of ownership). The dealer, although friendly, would not discuss the failure mode, or more importantly to me, root cause and prevention of a repeated failure. I did learn that more than the auxillary battery was replaced. The long delay for service included time for multiple parts to arrive from Japan to the west coast of North America. After the service, a few more stops at the service center corrected several "bugs" (such as owner programable functions - e.g. drivers seat position memory) revealed themselves during operation.

Umm, 2 so far is something to be concerned with.

When did you get your 400?

How many miles?

There must be some TSB regarding this??

I go on 200+ mile trips where there are no dealers, this has me very concerned.

Just talked to my brother.  He has had his 400h for 1 month.  He said the 12-volt battery is dead and it won't hold a charge.  He also made some comments about the quality of the battery that I won't repeat here.

I assume that the battery is covered by the Lexus warranty and will be replaced for free if found to be defective??  If not, trash it and get an aftermarket battery????  Suggestions appreciated.  Thanks.:cheers:

I too had a 12V battery failure.

Although covered under warranty, I was without my car for 10 days (after only 21 days of ownership). The dealer, although friendly, would not discuss the failure mode, or more importantly to me, root cause and prevention of a repeated failure. I did learn that more than the auxillary battery was replaced. The long delay for service included time for multiple parts to arrive from Japan to the west coast of North America. After the service, a few more stops at the service center corrected several "bugs" (such as owner programable functions - e.g. drivers seat position memory) revealed themselves during operation.