My Gx Doesnt Clunk

indiasfinest

I just don't have the patience to read thorough the entire thread from previous post.

Can anyone tell me what the clunk feels like or sound like? Under what situation does it come up if any?

As far as I know, I haven't detect anything unusual sound.

thanks,

The thump happens when you pull your truck to a complete stop, for example, stop sign, traffic light. You feel a bump/thump/clunk, almost if someone hit you from the rear. I "think" I may have felt it once, but I was "looking" out for religiously after reading these threads.

IF I didn't read these threads I would NOT have noticed it, because it was SO minor and only happened once.

So my question to you ALL here on the this forum and who are experiencing this problem on your truck, how BAD is the Thump/cluck/bump? Is it bad enough that a cup of coffee will spill over when it occurs?

Any other "real world" example would be EXTREMELY helpful in understanding this issue?

Thank you!

out of all the conversations i have had about the clunking i have never seen any replies where ppl said there GX didnt clunk..i heard about a figure that said 5% of GXs dont clunk i have an 04'...am i alone?

I think, eventually, we will all get to the clunk. From what I understand, it is in then nature of the design. The only way to avoid it would be a different, more expensive, driveline assembly (I would be VERY happy to have Lexus prove me wrong on that point). Anyway, I did not have the clunk until around 22K miles on the truck. The clunk occurs randomnly, but typically, after a hard stop. It feels like a 2 stage stop, one for actually stopping, and the second as a clunky settling of the truck to the "at rest" position. Sometimes the clunk is slight, and sometimes it really hits hard. The dealership aknowledges the clunk, but state it is inherent in the design. They will not do anything to correct it unless the directive comes from the factory. I am not sure if ALL dealerships take that position, but the one I go to does.

I had a secendary clunk issue with a sticking piston on the KDSS system. But, that seems to have been corrected. I think my next issue to address is the horrid braking system on the truck. I have read posts here and at another site, which detail how more than just a few have warped brake discs. But, that is another thread .... ;)

Sometimes it seems more noticable than other. It will cause ya to look

in the mirror and see if got bumped. Like sometimes it start off smooth and other times hear more engine and drivetrain noise.

Reminds me of older 4WD when all was engaged. On my Avalanche

when engage 4D will feel a jerk also when disengage at least know its

working

Advocate, Silver,

Thank you both for your input. I'm really disturbed to hear that your thump is strong enough that you'll have to look up in your rear view mirror, so I gather that if you had coffee, it would certainly have spilled... :(

Bummer.

Advocate, what about showing your dealer the Lexus TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) that specifically details HOW to "fix" this issue, isn't this the directive they are looking for as the TSB was issued by Lexus? Let us know what happened when you showed them the TSB?

Thanks!

BTW - India, count me in as another GX owner that doesn't yet have the problem, but I only picked up the GX in March and it still has less than 1500miles...

out of all the conversations i have had about the clunking i have never seen any replies where ppl said there GX didnt clunk..i heard about a figure that said 5% of GXs dont clunk i have an 04'...am i alone?

I think, eventually, we will all get to the clunk. From what I understand, it is in then nature of the design. The only way to avoid it would be a different, more expensive, driveline assembly (I would be VERY happy to have Lexus prove me wrong on that point). Anyway, I did not have the clunk until around 22K miles on the truck. The clunk occurs randomnly, but typically, after a hard stop. It feels like a 2 stage stop, one for actually stopping, and the second as a clunky settling of the truck to the "at rest" position. Sometimes the clunk is slight, and sometimes it really hits hard. The dealership aknowledges the clunk, but state it is inherent in the design. They will not do anything to correct it unless the directive comes from the factory. I am not sure if ALL dealerships take that position, but the one I go to does.

I had a secendary clunk issue with a sticking piston on the KDSS system. But, that seems to have been corrected. I think my next issue to address is the horrid braking system on the truck. I have read posts here and at another site, which detail how more than just a few have warped brake discs. But, that is another thread .... ;)

i have 38k on mine and have never felt it

-j

I've had mine since 10/01/04, never had any clunks.

I have the clunk and unfortunately since the dealers and useless Lexus corporate customer service denies it is a problem and labels it as a "charateristic" of the truck, there does not seem much we the consumers can do except SELL THE TRUCK OR LIVE WITH THIS STANDARD "FEATURE".

SHAME ON LEXUS FOR NOT FIXING THIS CLUNKY DRIVESHAFT, I'LL NEVER BUY A LEXUS AGAIN, I HOPE GX470 SHOPPERS LEARN TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRUCK.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
I've had mine since 10/01/04, never had any clunks.

I have the clunk and unfortunately since the dealers and useless Lexus corporate customer service denies it is a problem and labels it as a "charateristic" of the truck, there does not seem much we the consumers can do except SELL THE TRUCK OR LIVE WITH THIS STANDARD "FEATURE".

SHAME ON LEXUS FOR NOT FIXING THIS CLUNKY DRIVESHAFT, I'LL NEVER BUY A LEXUS AGAIN, I HOPE GX470 SHOPPERS LEARN TO STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRUCK.

I agree!!! It really is too bad that Lexus does not care about this problem!

I'm getting the same lack of help from LONGO Lexus in So. Calif!!! ..what dealer are you going to?

For those who have not experienced it, it is severe enough to make you look in the mirror to see if someone has just rear ended you!!!

Try this..... at a stop, try pushing the button on the center console to lower the suspension. It always clunks it's way down !!!

I have the clunk.

GX is 12 days old (since I picked it up) and has less than 300 miles on it.

Clunk appears as follows: Coming to a stop, the GX slows and stops. several seconds pass and "clunk", the GX does a little "lurch" and then stops.

As others here have opined, it almost "feels" as though I have been struck by another vehicle - although a quick look around dispells that notion. It is disconcerting.

Can someone please kindly provide the TSB number? Is it a permanent fix to this issue?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...