85 In Second Gear.. Yeahhhhhh

akewlguy

Amazing is this car has 240k on it and notice how smooth!! AMAZING CAR!!

Thanks, Chris! She has 257k miles now and is still a wonderful car(a little small for someone my height, but a wonderful car no less.).

:cheers:

The reason it'll do 85 in second gear is because it's not a 5 or 6 speed. I'd rather have more gears personally. Hell, I had a 1966 327SS Impala convertible that would do 60 in first gear ... because it only had a 2 speed transmission. Go test drive an LS430 and you'll see what smooth power really is! Or better yet a 12-cyl from Mercedes or BMW.

And while I agree the LS400 is plenty smooth, you really can't tell much of anything from this video.

The reason it'll do 85 in second gear is because it's not a 5 or 6 speed. I'd rather have more gears personally. Hell, I had a 1966 327SS Impala convertible that would do 60 in first gear ... because it only had a 2 speed transmission. Go test drive an LS430 and you'll see what smooth power really is! Or better yet a 12-cyl from Mercedes or BMW.

And while I agree the LS400 is plenty smooth, you really can't tell much of anything from this video.

is the 430 faster than the 400 idont know much about when the gears kick in but i do a lot of diving on the new jersey turnpike and i-95 and im what you might call an aggressive driver so i average 80 to 90 mph and it feels like im doing 40 or 50 besides a little wind noise you wouldnt even know that im going so fast

Both of my BMW's the V12 and V8 will do 70MPH at 2000RPM. The reason my 12 can do this is bcause of th eextra pistons. My V8 will do this be cause of its gearing. Fastest speeds in each gear I am not too sure about. I am guesing they are similar to the LS

thanks

Yawn, :  )

Click on videos...

Vrooom!

LOL That old 8 series deserves a yawn also. A big V12 that only yields a 0-62 of 6.0...eek! :o Not vroom, vroom in my book. :rolleyes: I was impressed with the little coin trick, but then, he started it and it sounded like a screaming cat. lol :D

I have driven a '05 LS430, and it's not remarkably smoother than my 400. Certainly, it's more powerful than my LS400, but I don't use the power. I can count the number of times I've gone WOT in my LS between my two hands. I would only trade up because of the smart access and vented seats (maybe the led tails also); the improvements in ride quality, quietness, and smoothness are inconsequentially similar to the LS400 to me. I can live without the damnable drive by wire lag also. It drove me nuts while I was driving the car. I don't care about the lack of additional gears (unless it had a real OD like some GMs)...the LS430 has lower epa mileage than my LS400.

Sha, your LS and 01-03 LS430 are the same in 0-60: 6.3 sec.

thanks for the reply blake persnally i think my ls looks cooler than the 430 and if wanted something newer i would keep the 98 and get a 745 after it came off a lease i always liked the 7 series

Blake, that is how the V12 sounds. Dont be hatin Dawg : ). That number does seem slow for the all holy, ahhh, 850csi or M8, ahhhhhh!!! (ahhhhs+angels : o )

The trick is really ol. I tried it once wqith my 12 and the fan kept blowin it over. I was afraid it would fall into the fan and be shot into my forehead at 700 rpm!! : )

Jacob I believe the Camry may be faster than the LS. In a book I got from the dealer the 0-60 time was 5.9. In consumer reports it was 7.0 I believe. For whatever reason Toyota was going for performance with this model. Obviously not looks : )

thanks

thanks for the reply blake persnally i think my ls looks cooler than the 430 and if  wanted something newer i would keep the 98 and get a 745 after it came off a lease i always liked the 7 series

No prob! The '98 is a sweet car; it'd be cool to have a 745 and LS!

Blake, that is how the V12 sounds. Dont be hatin Dawg :  ). That number does seem slow for the all holy, ahhh, 850csi or M8, ahhhhhh!!! (ahhhhs+angels : o )

The trick is really ol. I tried it once wqith my 12 and the fan kept blowin it over. I was afraid it would fall into the fan and be shot into my forehead at 700 rpm!! :  )

I'm not being a hatin dog! I like BMWs(at least the 6 and 7 series. x5 and z4 aren't bad either), but I'm a little upset that they all have iDrive which is an unquestionably distracting and unintuitive device. The 8 does sound weird when it starts-up to me-no big deal at all! I do stand by 0-62 being slow for a V12 powered vehicle....a CL65 AMG would blow the doors off a M8(couldn't resist...I'm a MB lover!). It's just my $.02, no hard feelings I hope! :cheers:

Sorry fo rmy crappy handwriting. I am trying to type without looking and it doesnt work so well sometimes. I am so use to looking down. Anyway, you have to take into account that for its age the power aint bad for a luxury car. I believe the last and only year of the CSI was '97-'98. So....

thanks

Idrive is the compiling of all the cars functions, radio, nav, climate control, etc., into one area. This area is displayed next to the instrument cluster like so.

689500_24.jpg

The knob below controls all of these functions. So instead of reaching around like most cars, all you have to do is move this knob around. BMW sasy that it keeps the drivers eyes on the road but I dont believe that. Unless you are use to it it can be tricky and dangerous.

Many people dont like Idrive. I used it one time and didnt think it was that bad. You just have to get use to it. BMW has made it eaiser by adding a MENU button for a quick excape if you get lost. Most cars have it now. BMW started it then Audi did something similar

05%20Audi%20A8L%20Shifter.JPG

Now MB has a system they are going to use in the new S class. VERY similar to Idrive.

36283.1.gen.jpg

I heard someone say the new LS will have something similar.

I wonder if the American "luxury" cars will do something similar. They hit it so big with the SUV's I dont even think they car about the cars. Its a shame. Some are pretty nice.

Personally, I like the 4 speed tranny in my 95 more so than these new 5 and 6 speed trannies for one simple reason; when i need to speed up from 50 to 80, it's not hunting down for a lower gear, it stays in it's gear and smoothly revs up to speed. I can't stand a shift-happy transmission anymore. Only if I put my foot down will the car down shift, and look out betsy, 'cause here i come! I have no experience with the newer 5 speed tranny LS models so I don't know if that's the case with them, but every other 5 speed tranny I've driven has been that way. You want to gain speed smoothly = downshifting a gear or two.

blake whats the deal with the idrive? how does it work because ive heard more than one negative comment in the forum

It's not easy to use and very distracting. I test drove a 745i for a friend, and after only 30min, I wanted to firebomb the car. It drove wonderfully, was reasonably comfortable, and is very fast, but not knowing how to quickly pick-up on the controls of the car gives it a very poor rating in my book. I wouldn't mind the 745 if they made it w/o idrive. I'm glad to say that the editors of Car and Driver stand by my remarks of distaste towards iDrive. The super car 530i came in 6 out of 8 in their May '05 competiton beating out the ancient Jag S type and Caddy STS. Not suprisingly, one of the things about the car in the "lows" was iDrive...go figure that one! lol

I heard someone say the new LS will have something similar.

Perosnally, I'd be pretty suprised if it did since the new GS and IS have lots and lots of buttons!

I like buttons, lots and lots of buttons. They look cool at night too when they're lit up. You have to pay me to learn a computer system, not the other way around. One spill of coffee on that I-drive looking thing looks like you've lost control of everything in the car. That I don't like. I bet that sucker costs thousands to replace too, since it's so important to the car's functionality.

I am sure there is much faster cars with bigger and better engines, but I was excited that a similar car with 160k more miles (260k total) can do 85 so quick and smooth..

I would like to see a BMW, JAG or Mercedes with 260k still running (smooth and problem free). :)

I dont know enought about JAG, BMW or Mercedes to say that, but all my friends say their cars are always in the shop.

CHEERS TO LEXUS!!

I like buttons, lots and lots of buttons. They look cool at night too when they're lit up. You have to pay me to learn a computer system, not the other way around. One spill of coffee on that I-drive looking thing looks like you've lost control of everything in the car. That I don't like. I bet that sucker costs thousands to replace too, since it's so important to the car's functionality.

Great points! ;)

I am sure there is much faster cars with bigger and better engines, but I was excited that a similar car with 160k more miles (260k total) can do 85 so quick and smooth..

I would like to see a BMW,  JAG or Mercedes with 260k still running (smooth and problem free). :)

I dont know enought about JAG, BMW or Mercedes to say that, but all my friends say their cars are always in the shop.

CHEERS TO LEXUS!!

I'm glad you are smart enough to catch the meaning of the little movie; suprisingly, it went right past a lot of people, and the thread has been jacked for that reason. You summed it up beautifully, Chris! ;)

When I purchased this car I researched overall quality. All ratings point at LEXUS. Then I thought about reliability, image and performance. At the same time I questioned about 50 people on their LEXUS's, JAGS, BMW's and Mercedes. Amazingly every Lexus owner was extremly happy. "I love this car" and "this car has 200k miles with minimal maintenance" were common responces.

When I talk to my friends with the BMW's, JAG's and Mercedes they are like "its in the shop" or "I am going to trade it in."

In my eyes many happy Lexus owners keep their car for 10+ years. The decision I had to make was easy and I am very happy to see wonderful posts like the 260k LS400 doing 85 MPH (smooth and fast (no tripod)) in second gear!!

So when I posted this I did not post saying LEXUS is the fastest or LEXUS is the best. I just thought the post was kewl..

FRIENDS RESPONCE: I showed my friend who has a 04 3 series BMW (si or or something special?). His responce was I can do 60 in 5 seconds wana race. It sort of made me laugh since he did not get the point. The whole 5 seconds is a joke. I dont care if it took 10 seconds for the LEXUS to hit 60. I dont plan on racing anyone..

thanks for clearing that up blake and ed i thought it might have something to do with the way the car shifts and i also like to see all my buttons clearly i dont want to keep cutting my meyes to see if at at the rightn function yet but even sad i would still cop a 745 and suffer until i became familiar with the setup