Gx Tires

SilverGX

A post over on the 4 Runner forum led into tires. Seems most are not

happy with the dunlops that come on some GX's

Does Lexus offer a tires policy. I took one out on my 05 4 Runner LTD but

did not have this mentioned to me on the Lexus. If it doesnt was going to

take one out through discount tires. Than if a problem develops with the

dunlops will be covered

Of the three different tires that come as standard on the GX, the Dunlops would have been my last choice. The Michelin Cross terrains would be my first, and the Bridgestone Duelers my second.

Mine came equipped with the Bridgestones, and after 8,400 miles, I am happy with them. They seem to be wearing very well, they ride smoothly and quietly, and the traction even in deep snow was very good.

What kinds of problems are being mentioned about the Dunlops in the toyota forumn?

Of the three different tires that come as standard on the GX, the Dunlops would have been my last choice. The Michelin Cross terrains would be my first, and the Bridgestone Duelers my second.

Mine came equipped with the Bridgestones, and after 8,400 miles, I am happy with them. They seem to be wearing very well, they ride smoothly and quietly, and the traction  even in deep snow was very good.

What kinds of problems are being mentioned about the Dunlops in the toyota forumn?

Most comments were that Dunlops were "Crappy" tires. Did not ride

as well as the Mich's. I did go to a couple of sites that was mentioned

and they did not receive high reviews. At some of these sites the

main complaint appeared to be short life. However some were getting

50K and to me that is allot of miles on tires. So far they seem quiet

and smooth but they are new. Do not off road so wear will be on

the highway. The Bridgestones on my 05 4 Runner seem fine too

luckily mine came rollin in with the Cross Terrains B)

When I ordered mine, I had already read some comments about problems people were attributing to the Dunlops, so I was considering my options if mine came in with those tires mounted on it. I would have probably required that my dealer swap them out for the Michelins or Bridgestones.

Looking at all of those tires on GX's at my dealership, I did note that the wear rating on the Michelins was longer then the Bridgestones or Dunlops.

If its wear that is the main problem, I will be in pretty good shape.

Dont run tires to the max. 30 to 40K usually starting to look at a

new set. Now if going out of round/thread separation than thought

a tire policy would be good like through discount tire.

When I ordered mine, I had already read some comments about problems people were attributing to the Dunlops, so I was considering my options if mine came in with those tires mounted on it. I would have probably required that my dealer swap them out for the Michelins or Bridgestones.

Looking at all of those tires on GX's at my dealership, I did note that the wear rating on the Michelins was longer then the Bridgestones or Dunlops.

EXACTLY! ;) That's why I'm happy with the Cross Terrains because the thread life seems to be long, even though considering the GX is big and would require more thread than smaller cars. Especially the Bridgestones, they are really known for short er thread life. I don't know if the RX300 was a good comparison, but it had Goodyear Integritys on them and it was more than half done at 25k miles. My Gx, at 31k miles, is still ok with the Michelins. B)

More than one type of Dunlop AT20 out there according to discount tire

P265/65R-17 110S BSW (28968)

Treadwear: 500

Traction: A

Temperature: B

Speed Rating: R

P265/65R-17 110S OWL (28075)

Treadwear: 300

Traction: B

Temperature: B

Speed Rating: SR

When put a 2005 GX in there system these are the tires that come up

about $20 dollars difference in price of the 2 tires 300 wear cheaper

• 4 weeks later...
Another reason they use Dunlops ?,  Mine say Made in Japan

no clue. but they use this tire for the LX, 4runner, and the GX. They also use some other Dunlop tires for the other Lexus vehicles. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

EXACTLY! ;) That's why I'm happy with the Cross Terrains because the thread life seems to be long, even though considering the GX is big and would require more thread than smaller cars. Especially the Bridgestones, they are really known for short er thread life. I don't know if the RX300 was a good comparison, but it had Goodyear Integritys on them and it was more than half done at 25k miles. My Gx, at 31k miles, is still ok with the Michelins. B)

On the RX300 with the Good Year Intergrity tires, mine lasted about 65K miles. That's because I rotated them often and constantly check tire pressure, guess I got lucky.

My GX came with the Mich tires. I really like the look and ride of the tire so I would replace it with the same kind.

• 5 months later...

Mine came equipped with the Bridgestones, and after 8,400 miles, I am happy with them. They seem to be wearing very well, they ride smoothly and quietly, and the traction even in deep snow was very good.

Does the consumer have the choice of which tires they want on the GX when purchasing the vehicle new, or are the tires based on if it has certain options like KDSS? :unsure:

I, too, have the Bridgestone Duelers on my truck, and they seem to run fine thus far with 20k on the clock. If I had a choice, I would also go with the Michelin Cross Terrains. My Mazda truck has 'em, and am pretty satisfied with how they ride.

For whatever it's worth, aren't Bridgestone and (infamous) Firestone tires basically the same thing? :rolleyes:

Hi Rugged,

Anything is possible with the dealer, BEFORE you sign off on delivery, until then, they will WINE/DINE you, just make sure you SPELL out exactly what your terms are in advance.

When I ordered my GX, I specidfically told my Sales person that I did not want to get the AUDIOVOX equipied RES and that I wanted the OEM unit because I didn't want to lose remote control funtionality and direct connect interface with the head unit on the NAV.

Seel the manager order a GX with the Audiovox anyway and told the sales person to try to pan it off to me, but my sales person knew me well enough after that I wouldn't take the GX as is, especially after our initial discussion.

Long story short, the manager apologized and re-ordered a new GX with Pearl white instead of Dorado Gold and took off a few $$$ for the wait, I couldn't be happier!!!!

Bottomline, until you sign the delivery ticket, the dealer "tries" to cater to you as much as possible, I would tell dealer that you "know" there are three different brand of tires that are shipped with the truck but that you would like to ENSURE that Michelin tires are equipped on the truck when you take delivery...

*whew* mouthful...

Good Luck!

-Alex

Does the consumer have the choice of which tires they want on the GX when purchasing the vehicle new, or are the tires based on if it has certain options like KDSS? :unsure:

I, too, have the Bridgestone Duelers on my truck, and they seem to run fine thus far with 20k on the clock. If I had a choice, I would also go with the Michelin Cross Terrains. My Mazda truck has 'em, and am pretty satisfied with how they ride.

For whatever it's worth, aren't Bridgestone and (infamous) Firestone tires basically the same thing? :rolleyes:

As the prev poster noted...you can negotiate anything before you buy...just insert in the deal..."tires will be Michelin Cross terrains". It seems like Lexus chooses which of the three tires to install based on when they are built. When a new batch comes into my dealer, they all seem to have the same tire. The next batch, again, all the same, but probably different then the first. It does not seem to be influenced by any option combinations.

Bridgestone..a Japanese tire company, bought Firestone back in the 80's...after Firestones last screw up that destroyed their reputation happened with their first mass market radial tire...the "Steel Radial 500". That tire , in the late 70's, had an alarming propensity for tread separation.

My Bridgestones were made in japan though, the firestones are made in US plants.

Thanks for the info, guys. :) The GX is my first Lex, and I wasn't really used to the 'catering' based on my experience with dealers.

Anyhow, the Bridgestones I have on the GX are made in Japan. But, there's no mention of where the Michelin Cross Terrains I have on my Mazda truck are made after reading the sidewall. :unsure: I did have Dunlops that came standard on my other Mazda (Millenia), but they wore out pretty fast and aren't cheap to replace...instead, I went with Yokohamas.