What's A '98 Ls400 Worth?

Hello Lexus fans,

I'm looking for your suggestions as to prricing my car to sell.

I have a 1998 white LS400 with tan interior, 78K miles, navigation, K40 radar detector (front and rear including laser), HID lights, 17" chrome 5-star wheels, and all of the other options you would expect to find on an LS. The car is in excellent condition with only one little ding in the rear passenger door. It's been serviced regularly since new. What would you say that this car will sell for?

One thing that I'll miss about the car is having a 290hp V8 that consistently averages 20mpg in the city!

This is a little tough to read, but in summary, in Texas, NADA is:

Trade in value = $16,625

Loan Value = $15,200

Retail Value = $20,000

N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide

Vehicle Summary N.A.D.A. Values

6/3/2005

Region: Southwestern June, 2005 Stock #:

Vehicle Description: 1998 LEXUS VIN:

LS-V8

SED 4D LS400

MSRP: $52,900 Weight: 3,890

Mileage: 78,000

Retail Trade-In Loan

Base Value $17,700 $14,425 $13,000

Optional Equipment

Nakamichi Stereo Sys $175 $150 $150

Power Sunroof $575 $500 $500

Option Total $750 $650 $650

Mileage Adjustment $1,550 $1,550 $1,550

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total N.A.D.A. Official Used Car Guide Values $20,000 $16,625 $15,200

LOL!

I'll do one better, I'll pay the shipping and handling and get rid of it for you for free as well! Step-off branshew, I saw her first! Hahahaa

:cheers:

You know Shadow I am gonna go higher. I would say you could eaisly get 18 for this car. As long as you show plenty of pictures, if you sell it on the net, and let the buyer know everything about this car. They will feel safe and want to spend money like that on a car that will last a very long time. Good luck with the selling. I sometimes wish we bought a 98-00 LS instead of the BMW. Who knows maybe when the car gets closer to 100k it might happen. Might is the key word : )

Thanks

Wow 20mpg in the city? I'm jealous, my LS430 averages just a bit over 15mpg here tooling around Dallas. My V-8 XJ8 was the same, and even my 6-cyl BMW 528 was just a hair under 20mpg in town. Maybe it's because I drive lika a jackass, who knows...

Speaking of BMW, have you considered one? If you want a little smaller and a more controlled ride and excellent handling you can't go wrong with a BMW. Or of you can swing thirty grand a third gen Acura TL is a lot of fun although not built nearly as well as a Lexus. I loved my 528i a lot and it handled as well as my former RX-7 which is saying a lot. Look here for some good deals:

http://www.expocarsusa.com/invlist.php

I agree with Jason. I would look for an 01 540i sport. 2001 was the 5's best year. I am not too big of a fan of the new ones. I would have got a 540 instead of my 740 but it is just too small for me. But that 4.4 V8 is pretty stout so I dont think you'll miss the LS too much now.

Thanks

I used to live near a guy who worked in the service department of Classic BMW and he said that because they are "engineered like no other car" that they also require the maintenance costs of no other car. He had just bought an Audi A6 4.2 Before I bought this car I was searching for a 530i with the sport package. But his advice detoured me from BMW. I'm actually looking at a Boxster S. I've had one before and loved it but it was only a second car then. Now it would be a daily driver. I do have to drive it pretty easy to get the city mileage in the 20's. And I have to spend a little bit of time on Central Expressway, the Tollway or LBJ otherwise it stays in the high teens. I have gotten 26mpg driving 80+mph to College Station and back.

Wow 20mpg in the city? I'm jealous, my LS430 averages just a bit over 15mpg here tooling around Dallas. My V-8 XJ8 was the same, and even my 6-cyl BMW 528 was just a hair under 20mpg in town. Maybe it's because I drive lika a jackass, who knows...

Speaking of BMW, have you considered one? If you want a little smaller and a more controlled ride and excellent handling you can't go wrong with a BMW. Or of you can swing thirty grand a third gen Acura TL is a lot of fun although not built nearly as well as a Lexus. I loved my 528i a lot and it handled as well as my former RX-7 which is saying a lot. Look here for some good deals:

http://www.expocarsusa.com/invlist.php