Question About Sprint Bluetooth Phones

I am trying to figure out whether the Sprint Bluetooth phone models will work with the 400H. I called Lexustalk, and they claim that only Cingular Bluetooth phones will work, but I don't understand why. They didn't either. Anyone out there have experience with using a Sprint Bluetooth (I'm thinking of the LG PGM-325) with their 400H, or can explain what the issues are?

Thank you!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with Sprint and Verizon Bluetooth phones is that they don't transfer phonebooks, they will pair with the system and work but you can't store quick dials and such into the Lexus system, you'd have to dial them from the phone. Sprint and Verizon have decided not to allow transfering any files over Bluetooth to force customers to use their pay per use data services.

So far only bluetooth phones from the GSM carriers, Cingular and T Mobile will work to transfer phonebooks.

I have a Tmobile HP Ipaq 6315 smart phone with GPRS. (maybe that is why i can not get the phone book to transfer)

Everyone, from t mobile, hp and lexus said it would not work.

Turns out

1.blue tooth works.. but has to reset it each time I get in the car.

2. phone book does not transfer.

If I can not find a work around when my contract ends in Sept, I will get a treo 650 with cingular, if necessary.

Thanks for the responses. I suspected as much about the phone being functional, but not fully functional. I called Sprint yesterday to talk with them about it, and the reaction was downright hostile :unsure: . I'm amazed that these wireless companies can be so consumer-unfriendly, particularly since the technology is available. I have been a Sprint customer for years, and unfortunately have another year left on my new contract that was put in place after my daughter joined my plan. If Sprint doe not change their tune, I will switch. Perhaps voting with our dollars will change minds, who knows.

In the meantime, if anyone has figured out a work-around I would love to hear about it.

We are on sprint and I am using a treo 650 with the rx400, and I had to get my wife a BT phone with sprint and my choice was this horrible LG little phone, its total crap, but works with her when driving and thats all I cared about.

I read that Sprint had disabled full Bluetooth functionality on the TRE 650, but had announced plans to enable them in future releases. That was back in October 2004. Is yours fully functional? And can you upload phone numbers to the RX 400h?

We are on sprint and I am using a treo 650 with the rx400, and I had to get my wife a BT phone with sprint and my choice was this horrible LG little phone, its total crap, but works with her when driving and thats all I cared about.

I read that Sprint had disabled full Bluetooth functionality on the TRE 650, but had announced plans to enable them in future releases. That was back in October 2004. Is yours fully functional? And can you upload phone numbers to the RX 400h?

Between yesterday and today, the SPH-A940 and SPH-V7400 was posted (Along with a GSM phone and a SCH-720).

Checking out the A940, it listed OBEX as part of its profiles. So unlike the LG, this phone was qualified with OBEX. Let's hope Sprint leaves it as it is... (OBEX allows you to transfer files (phonebook?).

I had no problem getting my Treo 650 to work with my RX400h. Works great. You definitely need the 1.08 update from PalmOne on your Treo. You can see that setting under "Phone Info" within the phone app on the Treo.

Separate question... I was on a call today via bt and call waiting kicked in. It simply cut off the call I was on at the time without me even hitting the flash or call-end button. How does call waiting operate via BT on the RX400h? Or does it?

Eric

Do not have the answer to your question about call waiting on BT. Sorry.

But have a question for you. I am also I the DC area and am likely going to switch back to a palm based phone when my contract with T Mo ends on my ipaq in Sept. It works with the 400h, but not well.

Question, who is your service provider for the treo 650 with? and were you able to 1. transfer the phone book 2. make outgoing calls on the rs rather than the treo? TIA Lydia

Provider on my 650 is Sprint. You must get the 1.08 phone s/w on your Treo or it won't work.

Transfering the phone book was a pain. I'm only half done. Had to build a custom phone list category on the Palm and xfer from there. I probably won't build the other half since you can't dial out while the car is moving. The real beauty of the BT Lexus is answering calls coming in and having it mute the radio or pause the CD.

The call waiting glitch still has me concerned.

Sound quality is excellent. No one has complained about my voice level, either. It was golden around the DC beltway today. Will come in handy in DC since they have the new hands-free law.

I look like an idiot, I'm sure, since I'm talking inside my car with no headset or phone visible.

In the meantime, if anyone has figured out a work-around I would love to hear about it.

CKK, I have a V710 which works great with my 400h other than the fact that I can't transfer phone numbers. So, I went to amazon.com and bought a used SE T616 phone and SIM card (~$100). I loaded my phonebook entries into the T616 and then transfered them to the car in one download. This went smoothly following the step by step procedures on the Lexus web site.

This approach works for me because my phonebook is pretty stable (don't anticipate having to do this every day) and I was crazy enough to spend a hundred bucks for a "Lexus Phonebook Loading Device."

Can't you still use the V710 voice command?

Or the speed dial on the phone.

I was going to put the phone in a holder, perhaps one of those vent holders.

The there is the charging of the phone?

CKK, I have a V710 which works great with my 400h other than the fact that I can't transfer phone numbers. So, I went to amazon.com and bought a used SE T616 phone and SIM card (~$100). I loaded my phonebook entries into the T616 and then transfered them to the car in one download. This went smoothly following the step by step procedures on the Lexus web site.

This approach works for me because my phonebook is pretty stable (don't anticipate having to do this every day) and I was crazy enough to spend a hundred bucks for a "Lexus Phonebook Loading Device."

Can't you still use the V710 voice command?

Or the speed dial on the phone.

I was going to put the phone in a holder, perhaps one of those vent holders.

The there is the charging of the phone?

I havn't tried the V710 voice commands in the car but speed dial and manual dial certainly work. After dialing, the call transfers to the car's handsfree seemlessly. This is, in fact, the only way to initiate a call if the car is in motion and the phone number you want to call is not loaded as a handsfree one-touch number.

I just find using the car's one-touch dialing easier than using the phone. While you can manually enter phone numbers for one-touch dialing, for some reason, the phone numbers are blanked out while the car is moving. If you load the handsfree phonebook then associate one-touch numbers with phonebook entries then the names are still displayed while the car is moving.

I am in the process of getting a new cell phone and currently have Verizon (but my contract is up, so I can go with anyone)-- Re: coverage areas I use, only Verizon and Cingulair are really options. I am aware of the limitations with Verizon (no OBEX) and the use of Lexus BLuetooth system--- i.e. no phone book transfer, but I guess I am trying to decide how much of a limitation is it really. I have been happy with Verizon. I am waiting for my 400h but need a new phone now. I just want to be sure I'm not disappointed later. Can I use all other features of the Lexus Bluetooth with a Verizon's Motorola V710?

Can you enter phone numbers manually (with names) into the Lexus?

I was also very intrigued by the recent post of the ebay cell phone/card transfer (you don't need service to do that??).

Thankyou in advance for the decision making help.

You can not enter the names manually, you can save dialed numbers into the car's presets but you can't assign names.

The V710s voice dial does not work with the system, but the company's voice command system that you pay monthly for will work.

Can you enter phone numbers manually (with names) into the Lexus? 

I was also very intrigued by the recent post of the ebay cell phone/card transfer (you don't need service to do that??).

No, you can only enter phone numbers (no names) manually into the one-touch dialing slots. If you do it this way, the phone numbers will be displayed when the car is stopped but they are blanked out while the car is moving. Not terribly useful unless you have a great memory.

You do not need a service to use a phone as a Lexus phonebook loading device. If you decide to go this route and buy the phone and SIM card separately, make sure they are compatible (i.e., from the same service provider, e.g., AT&T, Cingular). Again, you don't need to buy the service, just the phone.

Thankyou so much for the helpful replies. I really like this phone, my service, so I think I will stick with my v710. So it sounds like I will I be able to dial out with the Voice Command service from Lexus---(when the car is moving? or only when stopped ---like if using on-screen service).

Thank you again.

You have to use the Voice Comand service from VERIZON not from Lexus. Thats the only way to make voice dial calls with the system.

They'll set up a vertual phonebook and you'll store the number, *something, in the cars system and when you hit the button you'll be connected to voice command and can place your call. I think its $4 a month.

You have to use the Voice Comand service from VERIZON not from Lexus. Thats the only way to make voice dial calls with the system.

Yes, I know what you are referring to-- it is called Voicegear-- and I actually have used it on my old phone b/c my old phone could voicedial only 20 numbers.

However, if I put that number in the car (#500) -- I will still only be able to make outgoing calls if the call is at a stop-- right?? Are you only able to make outgoing calls with the Lexus system if it is at a stop regardless?

If I use my Bluetooth Headset in the car (so I can make handsfree outgoing calls when moving, will I be able to use both systems simultaneously (Lexus and headset)-- or do I need to choose?

Thankyou for this help!!

I am trying to figure out whether the Sprint Bluetooth phone models will work with the 400H. I called Lexustalk, and they claim that only Cingular Bluetooth phones will work, but I don't understand why. They didn't either. Anyone out there have experience with using a Sprint Bluetooth (I'm thinking of the LG PGM-325) with their 400H, or can explain what the issues are?

Thank you!

Although Lexus does not state that any Nextel phones work in the 400h, I have a Nextel (Motorola) i605 bluetooth phone and have transfered several contacts to my 400h. I have set most of them up as 1-button which allows me to initiate a call while the vehicle is in motion.

However, if I put that number in the car (#500) -- I will still only be able to make outgoing calls if the call is at a stop-- right??  Are you only able to make outgoing calls with the Lexus system if it is at a stop regardless?

No, if you save it as one of the quick dial buttons you can make calls while you're moving.

You can also always dial from the phone and use the Bluetooth, no need to use a headset.

• 2 weeks later...