Test Drove A 400h Today, Wow!

My dealer, Ray Catena NJ (1st in the region, 3rd in the world) largest Lexus dealer got their 400h in. The General Manager Tim Horn called last night and asked me to come and test drive the vehicle.

Very smooth, no noise even when engine pops in you cannot tell. More insulation than the 330. Got on major highway and put the pedal to the metal, WOW what torque, neck snapping. I believe the 6.9 sec to 60 is high.

The only negative I can find is the aluminum trim, don't like it. The wood kit looks sooo much more luxurious. I will put a wood kit in as soon as my color arrives. Believe me you will not find much to complain about with this baby. :D

My dealer, Ray Catena NJ (1st in the region, 3rd in the world) largest Lexus dealer got their 400h in.  The General Manager Tim Horn called last night and asked me to come and test drive the vehicle.

Very smooth, no noise even when engine pops in you cannot tell.  More insulation than the 330.  Got on major highway and put the pedal to the metal, WOW what torque, neck snapping.  I believe the 6.9 sec to 60 is high.

The only negative I can find is the aluminum trim, don't like it.  The wood kit looks sooo much more luxurious.  I will put a wood kit in as soon as my color arrives.  Believe me you will not find much to complain about with this baby.    :D

Ahhhh, neck-snapping torque - now that's MY kind of family hauler! Corvette by weekday.......neck-snapping 31 MPG family hauler by weekend! I can't wait!

Ahhhh, neck-snapping torque - now that's MY kind of family hauler! Corvette by weekday.......neck-snapping 31 MPG family hauler by weekend! I can't wait!

Of course the cars coming to CA would be just a tad less "snappy" due to stricter emission control (that is still true, right ?). Even so, it's an awsome combination of performance and economy, at any price. Reliability remains a question mark, however; anybody know how the Prius stands in this regard ?

Of course the cars coming to CA would be just a tad less "snappy" due to stricter emission control (that is still true, right ?). Even so, it's an awsome combination of performance and economy, at any price. Reliability remains a question mark, however; anybody know how the Prius stands in this regard ?

I do not believe so. The hybrod v-6 accord has the same nationwide emissions.

I would assume the engine would remain the same.

I don't think so. That was true for many cars when manufacturers were just learning to deal with the emiisions requirements. In any case, the snappy acceleration on this car comes from the electric motors kicking in so emiisions controls don't affect it. Everything I've seen indicates that there isn't a special California version for this car.

I just got back from driving one in California and it is amazing.

Sacramento Lexus got their test drive car last night so it was ready for test driving this afternoon. They let me take a nice long test drive. My main impression: smooth.

We have all anticipated the excellent acceleration and by now everyone on this list knows about things like the silence when you turn it on and pull away. I'll try not to repeat the things the other drivers have already covered.

What I didn't anticipate was how smooth this car feels cruising at a constant speed on the highway. We will have to be careful until we adjust or we'll end up with speeding tickets. Even at high speed when power is coming mainly from the gas engine, it is so quiet. Very little wind noise, vibration, or engine noise to tell you you are going fast. I glanced down at the speedometer and found I was going well over the speed limit. Handling felt very assured.

Driving position and seat comfort was great. As a short person, I love the telescoping steering wheel.

Trim - I liked the stainless steel a lot with the black leather. (That was on an RX400 at another dealer that I was able to sit in but not drive last night.) Unfortunately that color is just not practical for my climate. The one I test drove was ivory - the same interior we will be getting. It looks okay with the stainless steel but not as sharp as the black. With the ivory interior, the upper dash is still dark grey. As soon as we got into the sunlight I understood why. With the very slanted windshield, a light dash would produce a distracting reflection. To my eye, the ivory and dark grey color combination looked very nice.

Since the test car was in my colors, it was really hard to give back the key at the end of the ride. Sure hope the real thing arrives by Friday.

....nice write-up, Pat. I chose not to test drive, since ours is due on Monday, and I didn't want to tease myself. It's be like driving a Ferarri F40 and then going back to my car! Besides, I enjoy reading about other's experiences. My Corvette has a light-oak interior and a very dark dash for the same reason you mentioned. I used to have a convertible with black interior and I would cook when sitting in it after it had been sitting in the sun for just 15 minutes - no more black interiors for me!

We expect to spend quite a bit of time when we go to the dealership to pick up the RX. I want to make certain that everything is explained (if they can).

....nice write-up, Pat. I chose not to test drive, since ours is due on Monday, and I didn't want to tease myself. It's be like driving a Ferarri F40 and then going back to my car! Besides, I enjoy reading about other's experiences. My Corvette has a light-oak interior and a very dark dash for the same reason you mentioned. I used to have a convertible with black interior and I would cook when sitting in it after it had been sitting in the sun for just 15 minutes - no more black interiors for me!

We expect to spend quite a bit of time when we go to the dealership to pick up the RX. I want to make certain that everything is explained (if they can).

My husband chose not to test drive now for just the same reason as you. :) I couldn't resist the drive, but I can understand the other point. Plus I expect when we pick ours up I expect I'll have to let him will drive it first when we pick ours up since I've already had a chance. ;)

The RX400h is Calif emissions approved out of the box. It is a SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle), the power you see everywhere is the power you will get. You are in for a trill.

My dealer, Ray Catena NJ (1st in the region, 3rd in the world) largest Lexus dealer got their 400h in.  The General Manager Tim Horn called last night and asked me to come and test drive the vehicle.

Very smooth, no noise even when engine pops in you cannot tell.  More insulation than the 330.  Got on major highway and put the pedal to the metal, WOW what torque, neck snapping.  I believe the 6.9 sec to 60 is high.

The only negative I can find is the aluminum trim, don't like it.  The wood kit looks sooo much more luxurious.  I will put a wood kit in as soon as my color arrives.  Believe me you will not find much to complain about with this baby.    :D

I too, do not like the aluminum trim. Is it really possible to put a wood kit in?

I don't mind the aluminum trim in the black and gray interior ... I must say it looks a lot sharper with the wood though ... especially on the steering wheel imho.

Does that mean the steering whell no longer has the wood trim?

I don't mind the aluminum trim in the black and gray interior ... I must say it looks a lot sharper with the wood though ... especially on the steering wheel imho.

Does that mean the steering whell no longer has the wood trim?

No wood trim at all ... the steering wheel is all leather like the Performance Package (maybe that even has it now after the 04 model).

Yes, there is wood kits for the RX330 2005 that will fit most of the 400h. I have seen one on the dealers floor looks great. All real wood.

I too, do not like the aluminum trim. Is it really possible to put a wood kit in?

RAID10-

Do you know much about the after market interior trim kits? I actually ordered a RX330 (which will have the Walnut wood trim) but prefer the look of the RX400 (the aluminum). Let me know if you find a good place to buy kits! Too bad we can't swap trim!

Thanks!

I am really mad that the 400h won't have the wood on the wheel etc....The plain leather isn't as comfortable to hold; if you think about it, the steering wheel whould be the most important interior feature....It's the thing you're constantly in contact with LOL

The wood trim is gone because the steering wheel is heated, much like my long gone Touareg.  I think you'll like it during the winter.  (This is what my salesman told me)

The steering wheel is not heated, he is busting your chops. Wood trim option will appear as soon as they pay for all the aluminum they ordered.

The wood trim is gone because the steering wheel is heated, much like my long gone Touareg.  I think you'll like it during the winter.  (This is what my salesman told me)

The steering wheel is not heated, he is busting your chops. Wood trim option will appear as soon as they pay for all the aluminum they ordered.

don't you think the aluminum costs less than the wood? Those wood packages cost over 500!! The wood steering wheel alone costs in the thousands.....

RAID10-

Do you know much about the after market interior trim kits? I actually ordered a RX330 (which will have the Walnut wood trim) but prefer the look of the RX400 (the aluminum).  Let me know if you find a good place to buy kits! Too bad we can't swap trim!

Thanks!

Sure here are some links, just go into Google and say "wood dash kits".

http://www.wooddashfactory.com/pages/order...?partno=1529X52

http://www.wooddash.com/category/LEXUS_Dash_Kits

Remember that this car has to run on electric alone for some of the time. With a electric heater in the steering wheel the batteries wouldn't last long at all.

WOOD !?!

WE DOAN NEEED NO STINKING WOOD !!!

This car is supposed to have an environmental conscience... that wood you all want comes from the rainforests.:chairshot:

It takes more energy to produce the aluminum than a replaceable resource like wood from a tree farm. Almost all decortive wood these days is grown and replaced just for this purpose. The plastic parts they put in the 400h are even worse on the environment.