Reliability: 93-95 Gs Vs 92-97 Camry

Hi guys...

I currently own a 95 Camry. I'm not quite at the level that most of you are on. I can't really afford one of the newer bigger fresher lookin' Lexuses but I'm thinking of buying an old GS. I'm looking at maybe a 94 or 95 GS with about 100,000 miles.

All my friends swear that I'd be getting a bad car that would certainly bankrupt me in terms of maintenance. They say a GS would give me more problems than the 95 Camry currently does. I wonder why....seeing as they are both Toyotas of about the same year, mileage, size, e.t.c.

So are my friends right? Should I go with the Mazda Millenia (the other car I'm considering)?.

What are you looking to spend on the new car? My brothers '90 LS400 has 215,000 miles and still runs like a champ. In the past 3 years, he's maybe put in $1500-$2000. That's not bad considering the mileage.

I wouldn't recommend buying the 96 or 97. They fetch a tall price, and its the old body style.

Just something quick.....I saw a 94 Silver GS300 with the GS400 5 spoke 17" factory rims. The rims that come on the new GS's. I'll tell ya....It looked awesome. I was surprised.

I cant say too much about Mazda.

Good luck.

I hear you all. I admit I'm being swayed but, is there any of you that actually OWN the model year lexus in question? I'd like to hear what an owner spends keeping up his/her car. Again, this is the 93-97 model GS, not the newer ones.

Thanks again

I have a '95 GS300 Touring. I got it in June of '01 and was lucky enough to get it with only 30K miles on it. Since then, all I've had to do was change the oil every 3K miles and a couple of weeks ago I did the tune-up on it. It cost me about $200 for the tune-up parts and I did the work myself. I've got 65K miles on it now and it runs like a champ. Its all stock and that's the way I like it. My next repair is going to be the a/c which has been having some problems. For the most part, this car been nothing if not reliable and dependable. I fully expect to get many more years of service out of her. Hope that helps.

I luv my '96 GS 300 -- BUT the maintenance is starting to grind me down. I was warned when I bought it that this might happen, but was hoping that such a quality vehicle would not need much. While it has been nothing major, the bills are painful -- I'm now looking at $900 to have oxygen sensors replaced, and $1600 if the catylitic converter is bad. Last week it was $1200 for the 120,000 mile service job & rotors. Last fall $1500 for new wires, gaskets & such. Never has been anything major with the engine, but when the "check engine" light comes on, I know i'm about to get soaked. They're killing me with the labor. My regular mechanic (for my Mazda) says he could take care of me if it was a regular Toyota, but because it's a Lexus, he says they need to handle it. Bottom line: good solid car, but dealer labor charges are outrageous.

With any car, a little TLC goes a long way! Used cars are hard, just cuz the previous owner may not have serviced the car. Driving conditions may have also been a major factor in the care of the car. Do your home work on the model. All years and select cars may have problems. Ask questions to the dealer or person. Lexus is a nice name, but it's all Toyota! The motor has been in service in the ariso and other cars for years in Japan. It is a good motor. I have a GS300 99.... I am throwing 345 RWHP to the poor girl and she runs great! My other buddies in our club has a 95 and a 94 GS. Out side of the general up keep, no major issues with drive train or motor! Oil changes, timing belts, plugs and breaks have been the few items changed or fixed. :D

poor cfincke, getting raped and ya don't even know it. :(

dude, it sure sounds like they're straight ripping you off!!! I'm feelin' your pain way over here!

$1200 for oxygen sensor replacement?!?! for the love of all that is holy, they are straight rippin' you off.

$1600 for a clogged catalytic?? hard to diagnose sometimes, sure, ...but they're just strappin' it to you man.

I humbly suggest that you find a different place to take your business.

I luv my '96 GS 300 -- BUT the maintenance is starting to grind me down. I was warned when I bought it that this might happen, but was hoping that such a quality vehicle would not need much. While it has been nothing major, the bills are painful -- I'm now looking at $900 to have oxygen sensors replaced, and $1600 if the catylitic converter is bad. Last week it was $1200 for the 120,000 mile service job & rotors. Last fall $1500 for new wires, gaskets & such. Never has been anything major with the engine, but when the "check engine" light comes on, I know i'm about to get soaked. They're killing me with the labor. My regular mechanic (for my Mazda) says he could take care of me if it was a regular Toyota, but because it's a Lexus, he says they need to handle it. Bottom line: good solid car, but dealer labor charges are outrageous.

I am new here so my opinion will most likely be taken lightly but you are spending way too much on what you are getting.

I would rejoice for those problems.

Problems for me become modifications.

o2 sensors would be replaced by myself.

Cat converter is not a big job and I could do that myself or run a test pipe (mod). I would also look into getting a high flow Catco cat converter.

Rotors would be a big break kit or slotted (again I love to mod).

It is cool that everything is running great but growing pains are always known to happen.

btw, there *ARE* TOYOTA dealerships that will look at your car and not charge you an arm an a leg like the Lexus dealership that you've talked to. Wouldn't hurt to check them out!

I am also new to the club and have owned ES 300's and now a 95 GS 300. I can not stress enough to have the car thoroughly checked out by a reputable mechanic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I purchased mine last year from a dealer in TX who is a friend of the family...He told me the slight smell from the vents was typical of condensations from the TX heat! I find now that the evaporator core is cracked.(450.00 at the Dealer) Someone took the ac filter out and never replaced it. I am to blame for trusting this guys word(no vehicle history since it was atrade!) I am usually very anal about checking a car out. I will never buy another car without having an inspection done and without having some paper trail of history!!! The $60 inspection would have saved me big bucks!!!

Enjoy your Lexus...you'll never look at another Camry!!

I use to think that Lexus cars were extremely reliable as well, until my starter went out at 50K(It cost a pretty penny for parts and labor) :( . However at 62K I havent had any problems but to get it serviced is pretty expensive but then again there expensive yet affordable luxury cars.