One Year Later...

blake918

Wow, a year with the LS has already flown by! I have to say this is by far one of the best cars on the road even though it is 10 years old and has 251,000 miles, and I absolutely love driving it. I have gotten so many compliments on this car, and I’ve even had a few offers to buy my car when I decide to get rid of it. This year we traversed about 26,000 miles with not a single mandatory repair. The ride, body style, interior, engine, transmission, and everything else about this car is just excellent.

The ride that this car gives is quite unique, imo. The ride is extremely comfortable, but at the same time, there is a certain tightness to the ride that yields excellent high speed control as well as excellent emergency maneuvering. I.e., I swerved at about 75 to miss a slow moving van (I was playing with my damn cell phone); the LS responded with such fluency and grace-it was quite a relief. The body rolled, but I was always in 100% control. On the other hand, the ride is very pleasant; it’s very smooth but never floaty. I think compliant would be a good way to describe the ride. My LS and Michelin MXV4 Energy tires seem to be a match made in heaven. They wear evenly are completely trouble free. I have them gassed up to 44psi, and the ride is still smooth and quiet. I like them to that PSI because I find that the car tracks better (the same thing goes in my ES300 too). This year alone I put almost 26,000 miles on these tires; I’m simply appalled when I hear about these guys that are getting 15k out of Dunlops. Wet and dry traction are both very good, and they are very quiet for the tread-ware they provide. When these wear out, they will be replaced with the exact same tire.

The exterior, it’s timeless! I think the body has aged so well for a couple of reasons. First, the design cues are very simple. They’re simple, but they come together to make an elegant body. I’d have to say that the rear profile of my LS is my favorite-I think it’s the taillights that I like so much, and the hidden dual exhausts are just very cool that is, if you can see them! Secondly, I find that the LS design cues over the past 15 years have retained a very familiar look and style. Lexus has not really done a complete redesign of the LS imo, and that’s because they haven’t needed to. They keep improving upon perfection, so all LSs look a lot newer than what they really are.

The interior is first rate. From the way the gauges spring to life when I turn the key to the dual console, it’s just all so well thought out and executed. I find all of the materials inside to be first rate save the black trim at the base of the speedometer cluster and the plastic trim around the door handle; those are the only two pieces of hard cheap feeling plastic I could find in the car. The many features this car has are superb like: dual zone climate control, considerably adjustable seats with power headrests and seat belt heights, power tilt and tele wheel with “easy access,” auto dimming/memory/heated mirrors, excellent stereo (it’s no ML though!), memory seats, a second glove box for the cd changer, auto headlights with excellent fog lights, first aid kit, cabin air filter, etc. The ergonomics in this car are stellar. Everything is in such close reach, and it’s all laid out beautifully. I never cared for the floor mounted gas pedal, but after spending so much time in this car, I completely love the old school look and functionality(I like that mine is mounted directly to the floor and not to a bracket-gives a cheap appearance. I know MB does this, and I think the LS430 might be the same way-tisk, tisk Lexus). It allows me to make a weird but comfortable angle with my foot-I almost lay it flat on the floor with my toe pointing to the console. At 251,000 miles I’d say that the interior is holding up very well. I can only think of 3 rattles-one in the headliner, passenger door, and the sunroof. None of the rattles are regular; I would say that my car is rattle free 95% of the time, and for that 5%, Lexus put in an awesome stereo.

Powertrain, what is there to say other than wow? It’s smooth and refined like nothing else I’ve ever driven. The tranny is superb; 251,000 miles and no slips, and nearly every shift is nonexistent. The V8 is ridiculously quiet and very powerful while still returning excellent fuel economy; pin the big gas pedal, and the sounds the V8 makes are better than anything I’ve ever heard. I get 20/26 fuel economy via slow city acceleration and strict cruise usage. What else can I ask for?

The one area that I have a complaint about is the driver’s seat space. Grant it, I’m probably one of the few with this complaint because I’m 6’4. I originally thought the discomfort I was experiencing was because of the seat design, but I later crossed that out because I can sit in the passenger seat for hours with no discomfort at all. I’ve spoken to Jason @ JP Importz about hoe he could modify my car to add about 5”-6” of legroom. He said the safest route to take in this matter is to move the seat bracket back. I can’t wait to have this done!

Unfortunately, I was hit two times in one year. The first hit…I was backed into reeking $1,850 of damage leaving me stuck in a neon blue PT Cruiser for a week and making several trips back to the body shop because they did a poor job with the body work. Then, about 2 weeks ago, a Camry Solora hit me from the rear at about 10-15mph. The only damage I could find was a 3”-4” hair line scratch. The girl that hit me offered to phone the police, but I said it really wasn’t necessary to get insurance involved on a petty scratch on my bumper which isn’t perfect to begin(can probably be buffed out) with-her Solora was not harmed either. Sadly, I was ticketed twice too. Once for an inspection sticker that was 10 months past due (wooh! :o ) and another for illegal window tint. I had the sticker ticket “fixed,” and I just now wrote the check for $140 for my tint. :chairshot:

Coming repairs and accessories:

-New lower ball joints (JPI said they’ve got a little play-death is near, but I have no complaints as of now)

-Rear knuckle bushings

-Driver’s seat position modification

-Leather seat covers from leatherseats.com

-Sirius satellite radio

-Repair or replace CD changer

-Car kit for cell phone

-Redo tint to 40% up front and 5% in the rear

-Repaint if my paint can’t be salvaged by a detailer

Here are my expenses for the year. The first is my gas record sheet, and the second is maintenance/repairs.

Questions? Comments? Concerns?

Gas_Records.doc

Maintenance.doc

This year alone I put almost 26,000 miles on these tires; I’m simply appalled when I hear about these guys that are getting 15k out of Dunlops.

that would be me... :whistles: :blink:

I would say that my car is rattle free 95% of the time, and for that 5%, Lexus put in an awesome stereo.

agreed!

-Redo tint to 40% up front and 5% in the rear

I take it you like what you see on my tint?

-Repaint if my paint can’t be salvaged by a detailer

i assume you mean me (ill be detailing his car before the meet)! LOL.

well blake, it has been a year for you already..and that car is simply stunning. she dresses up nice inthe pix.

as for your hood, i think i have a new solution, PM me.

migth work, might not, but it wont harn your finish.

Trust me when I tell you, get in touch with a detailer thats skilled at using a rotary polisher. I bet the paint can be at the very least made to look a whole lot better.

Nothing takes miles like an LS...

Trust me when I tell you, get in touch with a detailer thats skilled at using a rotary polisher. I bet the paint can be at the very least made to look a whole lot better.

Nothing takes miles like an LS...

thats why he contacted me, :D I am quite skilled with a rotary, steve. its all i used for most of my life, i just recently got an orbital. i have a few formulas i use to get my customers paint back to new again.

a claybar didnt work the last time...soooo...i will try a fe other ideas (on an inconspicuous area of course) this time around.

i have learned alot since my early days here as well, most of it from you.

My comment on my 94 that I've owned for 15 months:

My pristine 94LS with 109,000 miles runs so well that I decided I needed another car to use in the extreme heat of a Las Vegas summer (I moved to Sin City from Texas). I bought another car because I like the Lexus so much that I don't want to wear it out running around town stop and go and such, since the Lexus is nothing if not a highway cruiser supremo.

So I have a new Mazda Miata Turbo Toy. 21.5 grand, runs great, handles precisely, great warm weather top-down car. But it sure ain't a Lexus. Rough ride, small as a crypt with the top up, noisy etc. The best thing is that I keep both of them in a garage, so they'll stay safe and undisturbed for a long time. It's funny how I'll go out to the garage to take a drive,and usually end up in the Lexus. Regardless of the weather. The eleven year old dinosaur kicks the Mazda's butt. And most other cars, I'm sure.

I'm with you all. I have a loaded 93 LS 400 200,000 miles that is as comfortable as a best friend. ... I tend to prefer it over my newer GS400. The two cars are different animals in good ways.

The Michelin MXV4 Plus Energy tires and these LS's are a match made in heaven - I agree. I am on my second set and I put 80,000 wonderful riding miles on the previous set.

Blake....SWEEEEEEET RIDE!! Your's looks better than my 95 with 97k miles! We've got the same paint and interior colors. I agree with you completely on the rear lights and dual exhaust. I find myself following others of our age and admiring the tail lights. Personally, I like the 95 & 96 models the best. I like the wheels and the head lights the best...plus I like the power antenna and how it adjusts itself for better signal strength. I think these model years look very classy. Not to say I don't think the newer models don't look as good, I like the head lights and so forth, but I like ours the best. I've got some paint issues to take care of soon too. i've got little white pit in the roof. I did a clay bar, two coats of polish and wax last summer, didn't get them out. I think she'll be going to a professional detailer this spring for the orbital treatment. I don't know enough about those to not burn the paint right off the car. Once I finally catch that vibration issue I've been chasing around, she'll be perfect. These are awesome cars!

Great writeup! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Impresssive -- really, impressive. It really shows your appreciation and care for that car.

Not too much a fan of that dark color, but it still looks nice.

Have you ever thought of changing the front turn signal lights from the orange to the white ones? Or do you just like the original look -- the tail lights are nice already.

Anyway, I think the white turn signal lights would look really nice on front -- but that is just me and my opinion though.

blake, Really? I'll get in touch with him for you, thats odd that he wouldn't respond. He may not be able to use all that much though because he doesn't use a rotary.

Army, Have you ever done anything like that? You can burn right through Lexus black, especially when its compromised, with a rotary. I'd really leave that to a professional. Not anything against you or your skills, but thats not anything I'd even touch. Theres a lot of potential to make that a lot worse than it already is with a rotary, Lexus black is so soft. Thats something best left to someone with a rotary and a paint thickness gauge so they can measure how far to cut into the paint and what point is too far.

I have another detailer to hook you up with in the TX area that does more "hard to do" details and uses a rotary, his name is Anthony.

blake, Really? I'll get in touch with him for you, thats odd that he wouldn't respond. He may not be able to use all that much though because he doesn't use a rotary.

Army, Have you ever done anything like that? You can burn right through Lexus black, especially when its compromised, with a rotary. I'd really leave that to a professional. Not anything against you or your skills, but thats not anything I'd even touch. Theres a lot of potential to make that a lot worse than it already is with a rotary, Lexus black is so soft. Thats something best left to someone with a rotary and a paint thickness gauge so they can measure how far to cut into the paint and what point is too far.

I have another detailer to hook you up with in the TX area that does more "hard to do" details and uses a rotary, his name is Anthony.

yes i have done a black lexus, 1992 LS400. this rotary will be the one i showed you, the Wen, its not fast enough to burn threough paint. trust me.

but i will use my orbital first. and i may not even use the rotary, it will depend on what it looks like when he gets here.

A rotary can burn through paint at any speed. Its not the speed its the way it rotates. Buffers work by abrading the paint in a uniform way and creating heat to soften it. Rotaries create more heat, so they're more efficient. That heat also burns through the paint if the buffer isn't handled properly and all the edges on the panels aren't addressed properly.

My question was have you ever done a single stage paint job that was in as poor condition as his. Lexus black is probably the softest paint on the market to begin with, but all the surface damage on his car will make it like powder. My guess is that as much as half of the paint on the hood, roof, and trunk is dead and will have to be removed. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without a paint depth guage especially when he doesn't have the money to have it repainted. For one you have no idea hoe much paint is left on the hood, it may already be too thin to buff. If it is and you hit it even with the orbital it could go right through. I've done cars before that the paint is so far gone I was afraid to buff.

I think the paint can be brought back a LOT by a good buffing with a rotary, but it can also be made a lot worse too. Just be careful.

A rotary can burn through paint at any speed. Its not the speed its the way it rotates. Buffers work by abrading the paint in a uniform way and creating heat to soften it. Rotaries create more heat, so they're more efficient. That heat also burns through the paint if the buffer isn't handled properly and all the edges on the panels aren't addressed properly.

My question was have you ever done a single stage paint job that was in as poor condition as his. Lexus black is probably the softest paint on the market to begin with, but all the surface damage on his car will make it like powder. My guess is that as much as half of the paint on the hood, roof, and trunk is dead and will have to be removed. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that without a paint depth guage especially when he doesn't have the money to have it repainted.

I think the paint can be brought back a LOT by a good buffing with a rotary, but it can also be made a lot worse too. Just be careful.

well i will tell you what i will do.

rotary is worst case scenario/last option. i wont use much pressure on it, and if its not working on one spot, ill stop usng it.

ill test it somewhere inconspicous like the inside of a doorjamb first. just to make you and blake both feel more comnfortable. ;)

i have other methods i am confident will work. if they dont, he hasnt lost anything by allowing me to do this, because i am not charging him :)

Testing it in an inconspicuous spot doesn't do anything for you. You can't "test" a rotary on an inconspicuous spot like some chemical, its a tool. You shouldn't use ANY pressure with a rotary, ever. The tool is meant to be used under its own weight. You can't bear down on a rotary like an orbital. Even with no pressure, it can and will burn through the paint effortlessly.

Nothings going to work on it but a good compounding with a rotary, from the pictures I've seen thats his last resort other than a repaint.

I just REEEEALY don't think its a good idea. I think the thing for him to do is to take it to a professional with paint depth measuring equipment. Its nothing against you, I wouldn't touch it with a rotary either because its beyond the scope of my expertise. I'd feel pretty comfortable with a PC on it properly, but I'd still be careful even with that. That paint is very delicate as it is, and in that condition. Thats going to be a very complicated detail.

It may even look worse before it looks better as you get through the layers of oxidized and dead paint...

Testing it in an inconspicuous spot doesn't do anything for you. You can't "test" a rotary on an inconspicuous spot like some chemical, its a tool. You shouldn't use ANY pressure with a rotary, ever. The tool is meant to be used under its own weight. You can't bear down on a rotary like an orbital. Even with no pressure, it can and will burn through the paint effortlessly.

Nothings going to work on it but a good compounding with a rotary, from the pictures I've seen thats his last resort other than a repaint.

I just REEEEALY don't think its a good idea. I think the thing for him to do is to take it to a professional with paint depth measuring equipment. Its nothing against you, I wouldn't touch it with a rotary either because its beyond the scope of my expertise. I'd feel pretty comfortable with a PC on it properly, but I'd still be careful even with that. That paint is very delicate as it is, and in that condition. Thats going to be a very complicated detail.

It may even look worse before it looks better as you get through the layers of oxidized and dead paint...

yeah, maybe the rotary isnt a goodidea...orbital, nothing more.

i just dont want to risk it blake. i have to be professional about this. i have used the rotary before on black lexus'. but never on one this bad.

we wil try everything else, btu ill leve the rotary at home. it doesnt look good on me and i cant afford to fix it if i screw it up. thast the bottom line.

i dont have one of these paint thickness gauges, even though i should as much detailing as i do.

A good paint thickness gauge costs thousands of dollars, don't feel bad most detailers don't have them.

What kind of pads do you use with the rotary?

A rotary is nothing to be afraid of, its just something to respect. Its a real professional tool, unlike an orbital which has a margin of error there is none with a rotary. With the wrong pads especially, I'mjust afraid it'll make short work of that paint.

Nice car Blake ! Nice to see the iQUE on your dash. I had one with my ES but sold it when I bought my 05 RX. I think the QUE has better features then the NAV system I have in the RX. I really miss the QUE, but do like the larger screen the Lexus NAV has.

:cheers:

Blake....SWEEEEEEET RIDE!! Your's looks better than my 95 with 97k miles! We've got the same paint and interior colors. I agree with you completely on the rear lights and dual exhaust. I find myself following others of our age and admiring the tail lights. Personally, I like the 95 & 96 models the best. I like the wheels and the head lights the best...plus I like the power antenna and how it adjusts itself for better signal strength. I think these model years look very classy. Not to say I don't think the newer models don't look as good, I like the head lights and so forth, but I like ours the best. I've got some paint issues to take care of soon too. i've got little white pit in the roof. I did a clay bar, two coats of polish and wax last summer, didn't get them out. I think she'll be going to a professional detailer this spring for the orbital treatment. I don't know enough about those to not burn the paint right off the car. Once I finally catch that vibration issue I've been chasing around, she'll be perfect. These are awesome cars!

Great writeup!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Thanks! :D I forgot to mention the crazy antenna! I thought it was broken the first time it adjusted itself for better reception. It's certainly a great feature though-especially since I'm in a rural! I think a good detailer should be able to work out the white spots on your car; my spots are just excessively bad. I think I'll be repainting the car this summer-I really think it maybe too far gone...we'll see in April though. How are your vibrations comming?

what a great post - glad to hear you are having such a good time with the car blake.

Here's to another trouble free year!

Also nice to see the ultimate Lexus accessory  B)

Thanks! :D The group that those stickers identify is definantly the ultimate accessory!!! All of you guys are top notch! :cheers:

Impresssive -- really, impressive. It really shows your appreciation and care for that car.

Not too much a fan of that dark color, but it still looks nice.

Have you ever thought of changing the front turn signal lights from the orange to the white ones? Or do you just like the original look -- the tail lights are nice already.

Anyway, I think the white turn signal lights would look really nice on front -- but that is just me and my opinion though.

Long time no see! lol If I had a choice, I wouldn't pick black either-though it definantly is a sharp color...it just takes a lot more work than I want to do to keep it looking good. My color of choice would be beige(preferably Cashmere, but Mystic Gold is very nice too); it's so easy to care for(my ES's paint looks brand new to this day), and I love the understated, elegant look. I'll probably hang on to the amber front turn signals; I like them! The white ones look really sharp too though. Thanks for your compliments! B)

4482, I love my iQue too! The bang for the buck equation on them is rediculous. It has saved me on more than one occasion-when I bought it I was a little unsure about how much I'd use it, but now I don't know how I got around without it! The best part is, I can take it in any car I travel in. Thanks for the nice words! :D

Steve, I never did get an answer from Scott wax. No big deal though; I can take my car and my check book elsewhere. Plus, I'm thinking reapint more and more, but we'll see what Army has up his sleeve-what a great guy...trying to save my paint for no fee! :D

A good paint thickness gauge costs thousands of dollars, don't feel bad most detailers don't have them.

What kind of pads do you use with the rotary?

A rotary is nothing to be afraid of, its just something to respect. Its a real professional tool, unlike an orbital which has a margin of error there is none with a rotary. With the wrong pads especially, I'mjust afraid it'll make short work of that paint.

just regular cotton applicator. it would be applied with my orbital and removed with the rotary. i have a wool looking thing for a removal pad (the kind the seat covers are made from). i have no cutting pads for it unfortunately.

Is your "wool looking thing" actually wool fiber or is it synthetic?

Wool is too harsh on most automotive paints. Unless, the car has been repainted with an Imron 5000 or something like that.

Your wool looking thing should be made of synthetic fiber for most automotive compounding work. Foam pads from 3M work well for the final glaze step.

Tom

Blake you definitely have a beautiful car and I love your pictures, very nice. Seeing your car is actually quite inspirational because it's in such great shape and doesn't at all reflect 250k miles of use (an accomplishment in it's own). Makes me want to forget about getting a CPO GS and just getting an older LS, hehe :D . Keep up the good work and go LS! B)