What Do You Call This Part?

Hi folks. I didn't take a picture, so hopefully my description will be enough. Underneath the front of my 2000 ES300 is a black plastic piece that looks like it is designed to deflect air underneath the car. It is not a part of the front bumper or front faschia; rather, it is further underneath the car. It runs from left to right (like the front bumper).

Anyway, we had a lot of snow a couple of weeks ago and this black plastic piece got broken. Now it is hanging down.

Anybody know what this piece is called? Have you replaced one before? How much?

I could replace myself, as it is only held on with four or five bolts.

Thanks in advance.

Hi folks.  I didn't take a picture, so hopefully my description will be enough.  Underneath the front of my 2000 ES300 is a black plastic piece that looks like it is designed to deflect air underneath the car.  It is not a part of the front bumper or front faschia; rather, it is further underneath the car.  It runs from left to right (like the front bumper).

Anyway, we had a lot of snow a couple of weeks ago and this black plastic piece got broken.  Now it is hanging down.

Anybody know what this piece is called?  Have you replaced one before?  How much?

Thanks in advance.

I know the part your talking about, but off the top of my head, I can't think of the name of it. :blink: I'd call a couple of Lexus dealers & ask the parts department the same questions.........if they are not sure what your talking about, go see them in person so you can show them the picture on the computer. Not sure what kind of price it might be.......but if it's astronomical, try an auto wrecker or salvage yard......you will be able to pull the part off yourself probably for only a few bucks. It should be a pretty easy part to replace. B) Let us know how you make out & the 'technical' name for that part. ;)

:cheers:

Hi folks.  I didn't take a picture, so hopefully my description will be enough.  Underneath the front of my 2000 ES300 is a black plastic piece that looks like it is designed to deflect air underneath the car.  It is not a part of the front bumper or front faschia; rather, it is further underneath the car.  It runs from left to right (like the front bumper).

Anyway, we had a lot of snow a couple of weeks ago and this black plastic piece got broken.  Now it is hanging down.

Anybody know what this piece is called?  Have you replaced one before?  How much?

Thanks in advance.

Removed it and never replaced it.

That part is called, "the black undercarriage plastic thingy" that will always crack when you hit a high curb.  1017114427819_rofl_k2.gif

lmao amf!! :lol: ;)

Nobody so far knows the 'technical' name for it lol. :blink:

Mine got ripped on one side when I went through some deep snow. I then went through a car wash which made it worse. It was OK until about 5 miles later and I started to slow down. The thing lost altitude as the car slowed and started to drag on the ground. It sounded just like the brakes were grinding metal on metal. As soon as I started moving again, it made noise for a little bit until it lifted back off the ground. I was real relieved when I got home and looked under the car and saw it hanging there.

The stealer had one in stock - $15. I was expecting close to $40. Its held on by four bolts.

I never did find out what it was called.

The same thing happened to me on my previous car, a Pontiac Grand Prix. It is called a front air dam and its purpose is to push air up to the radiator for better cooling and to smoth the air flow under the car for better aerodynamics. I also left it off my previous car, but carefully watch the engine temperature for any changes if you do this. Good luck!

It's also called a front spoiler. If you ever see drag racing or race cars you will see them there too (just larger). They keep the front end of the car closer to the ground which gives you more traction and less road noise. If you see spoilers on top of the rears of some cars they work the same way (well actually don't really work but it's the same idea) They are SUPPOSED to deflect the wind upward in the back which pushes the rear down. Nifty engineering. :)

If i am reading this right the peices missing are the ones under the bumper under and behind the rad.

They are used to divert the airflow through the rad from the front of the car through the rad and under the car after exit.

This reduces turbulance and overheating issues as it also make the fan more effective.

Mine where replaced once at an average price of about 300-500 each

That part is called, "the black undercarriage plastic thingy" that will always crack when you hit a high curb.  1017114427819_rofl_k2.gif

lmao amf!! :lol: ;)

Nobody so far knows the 'technical' name for it lol. :blink:

Actually, it depends on what part of the country you're from.

For easterners, the technical name is 'doohickey'. For westerners, the technical name is 'thing-a-ma-bob'. Who cares about southerners? :P

It's good to know that they're so cheap. I ruined mine on a curb and the dealer charged me $250 to replace it. Next time I'll just do it myself. :chairshot: