Road&track Reviews The Rx400h!

RX400h

Finally, the latest issue of Road&Track included a "First Drive" of the RX400h. Here are some of their comments:

"And now comes the Lexus RX400h, a luxury sport-ute hybrid that should run rings around the RX330 at the drag strip yet still return an estimated 28 MPG overall - 30 city, 26 highway. The age of the performance hybrid is here, now with the expected Lexus polish.

The front transaxle uses an ingenious stepless planetary gearbox very similar in concept to the Prius' transmission (albeit greatly strengthened), and houses two of the motors. At the rear, the third motor with its own compact aluminum gearbox supplies electric-only power to the rear wheels. Look, Ma, all-wheel drive without a prop shaft!

Of course, we'll need batteries for this, and the 288-volt DC pack of nickle/metal hydride cells resides beneath the rear seat, which is raised about an inch to make clearance (great for sight-seeing with the kids).

Before it reaches the motor, voltage is boosted to 650 volts DC and then changed to alternating current through an inverter. How powerful is it? ...the total system power is 268 bhp (3 more than is the Acura MDX), with 208 of that produced by the V6. But torque is another thing altogether, as the electric motors generate their peak twisting force at revs far lower than the gas engine's 4400 rpm....try 247 lb-ft. at 0-1500 rpm for the front and 96 lb-ft. at 0-610 rpm for the rear. ......total axle torque at launch (that is, after torque multiplication through gearing) is 3500 lb-ft. Yeouch!

In sheer, away from the stoplight punch, this translates to a 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds, which is a half-second quicker than the RX 330. And you can still tow the race car, perhaps on a lightweight aluminum trailer, with its 3500-lb towing capacity.

The RX400h is a true parallel hybrid, meaning it can operate solely on electric power (up to 41 mph), internal combustion, or a combination of both. Given that, the driving experience is quite normal, with transitions between the systems much smoother, and regenerative braking less grabby-feeling than the Prius. (The "B" position on the shift lever increases the regen further, slowing the 400h on grades in a way that feels like compression braking from a slower gear.

A nice bonus is that the instantaneous torque of the motors gives this Lexus a surprisingly powerful stride in the 30-60-mph range, ideal for passing on a two-lane. Whatever the mode, the driver is kept aware of its very hybrid-ness through no fewer than three displays: a Prius-like powertrain diagram on the center-stack screen with pulsing, color-changing arrows indicating power routing; a simplified LCD display inset within the speedometer; and a tach-like gauge to its left showing kilowatts instead of engine revs.

....at this writing, Lexus was near 11,000 pre-sold orders for the 400h, a vehicle that should be about $4000-$5000 dearer than the old dino-juice RX 330. With its increased power, significantly better fuel milage and technological bragging rights, the 400h seems to be a hit even befiore its on-sale date, which happens to be April 15."

WTF, over.

A supposedly "green" SUV touting "estimated" mpg, 0-60 times and HP/Torque at launch of 3500 ft/lbs.

GEE.

No, thanks, I'll wait for the MDX with a Miller 2.3L I4, 0-60 times with absolutely NO bragging rights, and ACTUAL mpg ratings of 30/26, or better.

WTF, over.

A supposedly "green" SUV touting "estimated" mpg, 0-60 times and HP/Torque at launch of 3500 ft/lbs.

GEE.

No, thanks, I'll wait for the MDX with a Miller 2.3L I4, 0-60 times with absolutely NO bragging rights, and ACTUAL mpg ratings of 30/26, or better.

....always the bridesmaid, never the bride! Around here, the Honda hybrids are sitting on the lots, gathering dust. Apparently, their decision to go with the smaller electric motors with no ability to self-power at low speeds has cost them dearly.

Oh, and regarding actual numbers: I guess you didn't read about that road test in Hawaii, where the RX400h averaged 34 MPG, city, highway, and everything in between. When it comes to hybrids, Toyota rules the world, plain and simple.

Yes wwest, we've heard how you feel...repeatedly. Useless to argue. I would like to know where all these 2.4l MDXs that are getting these ACTUAL MPG ratings the RX400h "doesn't have" are though? They must be invisible. :rolleyes:

Sounds interesting, its good to get a real world acceleration figure. I'm also glad to hear that they've made the transitions smoother than the Prius. The brakes always sound metal on metal and it can be distracting when the motors switch at a redlight or something.

Yes wwest, we've heard how you feel...repeatedly. Useless to argue. I would like to know where all these 2.4l MDXs that are getting these ACTUAL MPG ratings the RX400h "doesn't have" are though? They must be invisible. :rolleyes:

Sounds interesting, its good to get a real world acceleration figure. I'm also glad to hear that they've made the transitions smoother than the Prius. The brakes always sound metal on metal and it can be distracting when the motors switch at a redlight or something.

I am looking forward to my own test drive, after which I will report right here in this forum. April 15th cannot come soon enough for me! :cheers:

Which month of Road and Track??

:o

Finally, the latest issue of Road&Track included a "First Drive" of the RX400h. Here are some of their comments:

"And now comes the Lexus RX400h, a luxury sport-ute hybrid that should run rings around the RX330 at the drag strip yet still return an estimated 28 MPG overall - 30 city, 26 highway. The age of the performance hybrid is here, now with the expected Lexus polish.

The front transaxle uses an ingenious stepless planetary gearbox very similar in concept to the Prius' transmission (albeit greatly strengthened), and houses two of the motors. At the rear, the third motor with its own compact aluminum gearbox supplies electric-only power to the rear wheels. Look, Ma, all-wheel drive without a prop shaft!

Of course, we'll need batteries for this, and the 288-volt DC pack of nickle/metal hydride cells resides beneath the rear seat, which is raised about an inch to make clearance (great for sight-seeing with the kids).

Before it reaches the motor, voltage is boosted to 650 volts DC and then changed to alternating current through an inverter. How powerful is it? ...the total system power is 268 bhp (3 more than is the Acura MDX), with 208 of that produced by the V6. But torque is another thing altogether, as the electric motors generate their peak twisting force at revs far lower than the gas engine's 4400 rpm....try 247 lb-ft. at 0-1500 rpm for the front and 96 lb-ft. at 0-610 rpm for the rear. ......total axle torque at launch (that is, after torque multiplication through gearing) is 3500 lb-ft. Yeouch!

In sheer, away from the stoplight punch, this translates to a 0-60 time of 7.3 seconds, which is a half-second quicker than the RX 330. And you can still tow the race car, perhaps on a lightweight aluminum trailer, with its 3500-lb towing capacity.

The RX400h is a true parallel hybrid, meaning it can operate solely on electric power (up to 41 mph), internal combustion, or a combination of both. Given that, the driving experience is quite normal, with transitions between the systems much smoother, and regenerative braking less grabby-feeling than the Prius. (The "B" position on the shift lever increases the regen further, slowing the 400h on grades in a way that feels like compression braking from a slower gear.

A nice bonus is that the instantaneous torque of the motors gives this Lexus a surprisingly powerful stride in the 30-60-mph range, ideal for passing on a two-lane. Whatever the mode, the driver is kept aware of its very hybrid-ness through no fewer than three displays: a Prius-like powertrain diagram on the center-stack screen with pulsing, color-changing arrows indicating power routing; a simplified LCD display inset within the speedometer; and a tach-like gauge to its left showing kilowatts instead of engine revs.

....at this writing, Lexus was near 11,000 pre-sold orders for the 400h, a vehicle that should be about $4000-$5000 dearer than the old dino-juice RX 330. With its increased power, significantly better fuel milage and technological bragging rights, the 400h seems to be a hit even befiore its on-sale date, which happens to be April 15."

But you aren't only paying for gas savings, the 400 will have additional equipment and more power, it will be the upmarket model. The gas savings aren't the focus, the power and amenities are. They're billing the gas savings as a "to boot" item.

Gotta face it, a Lexus is not a purchase that is motivated by things being "worth the cost" in utility, its a luxury purchase and is priced accordingly.

if the hybrid was like 1200$ over the normal rx330, it would be ok. but its going to be what 6000$+?!

it does not make sense unless you really want to save the enviroment

lexus where are your v6 and tv turbo diesels?

Consider it this way: Let's say that you are choosing between two vehicles, one is rated at 230 HP and the other is 270 HP. The 270 HP vehicle costs $4000 more, but has more standard features, so the difference is really only $2000 between the two. However, the 270HP version also gets 50%+ better gas milage than the cheaper version AND acceleration is vastly improved in everyday driving. If you see plenty of stop and go driving, your cost savings using the more efficient vehicle adds up quickly and within 4 years, the difference in cost evens out.

During those four years, however, you not only skip going to the gas station every week, but you also are giddy with the monster-torque that is there when you need it. The longer you keep the efficient one, the more you save AND the more you enjoy.

B)

• 3 weeks later...
As Most of us here have seen and heard about the RX400h mostly in still picture, photograph and even read a lot about it too. How about see it in action,  here's a website with video clips of the RX400h.

http://www.lexus.com/assets/magazine/q105/index.html

:D

It's going to be fun driving through a parking lot or down a street at 40 MPH or less without producing ANY sound whatsoever!

BTW, Car & Driver achieved a 0-60 time of 6.9 seconds. Folks, that's very impressive!

Has anyone heard of any firm pricing yet? I guess that's the next big news.

It is fun LOL. We scared the hell out of a group of girls in a parking garage right after we got the prius.

I guess we may have to crank up the bass and "boom" em out of the way!

I agree that with the added standard features that that added premium is an extra. cost of ownership will be reduced because the 400h has as sealed lifetime transmission fluid that does not require replacement, super long life coolant that does not need replacement until 90-100,00 miles & brake pads that should last at least 60,000 mile due to regenerative braking. My frend has a 2000 Prius that has over 60k with original brake pads.

It looks like the RX 400 is going to be exactly what my husband and I want. When I test drove the RX 330, I felt the acceleration was a little balky and the gas mileage was a little low. Everything else about it was great for us. Very comfortable, all the features we wanted.

The RX looks like it will remove those two problems: the performance I want,and gas mileage good enough that I won't have to feel guilty about driving it rather than my current sedan (Toyota Camry). For the combination of those two, I'm willing to pay 5K or so extra over a similarly equiped RX 330.

I expect to also get some maintenance cost advantages, but my Camry has nearly 200 K miles and hasn't needed much beyond routine maintenance and replacement of wear parts like breaks - so the savings is probably at most a few hundred a year - maybe less if Lexus charges more for the service it does do.

The price difference will depend on how you look at it too. If you would be happy with the low end RX 330 (meaning not getting options like the Nav system), the price increment of the RX 400 will look bigger because many of the options become standard. Pretty much all the standard items on the RX 400 that were optional on the RX 330 are things I want so I will compare the price of the RX 400 to the RX 330 with those options.

Pretty much all the standard items on the RX 400 that were optional on the RX 330 are things I want so I will compare the price of the RX 400 to the RX 330 with those options.

...same here. I am especially interested in the cost structure. I really don't want to spend $60,000 on this vehicle, so I'm hoping that the base model comes in at $45,000 or less. Is the Mark Levinson stereo worth the extra money? I'll have to hear both systems (knowing the cost of each) before I decide.

Remember,

Seven colors are currently available: Black Onyx, Flint Mica, Neptune Blue Mica, Crystal White, Millennium Silver Metallic, Savannah Metallic and Bamboo Pearl.

Other options include:

Navigation system [1] with a seven-inch touch-panel display

screen and backup camera [2]

Mark Levinson® [3] Premium Audio System

Rear DVD entertainment system

The vehicle also comes standard with:

Power front-seat adjustment

Leather-trimmed interior

High-Intensity Discharge headlamps (HID) with Adaptive Front

Lighting System (AFS)

Rain-sensing windshield wipers

18-inch aluminum-alloy wheels

The big question is: How much????

Other options include:

Navigation system [1] with a seven-inch touch-panel display

screen and backup camera [2]

Mark Levinson® [3] Premium Audio System

Rear DVD entertainment system

One dealer has told us that the only options wil be the seat warmers and the Rear DVD. That first one sounds like an odd choice of thing to make optional so I don't know if he really had it right.

I have a feeling both may be sort of true. I've noticed on the RX 330 that they don't seem to ever build the base model. They all have at least the premium options package so some of the things marked as options aren't really "options". Given that they will probably sell all the RX400's they make the first year, they may put the Mark Levinson Audio and Navigation system on all of them.

I want the Navigation system. I'm ambivalent about the upgraded audio system. I don't think it is worth the price, but even on the RX 330, they only seem to be offering the Navigation system bundled with the Mark Levinson audio (even though their web site shows packages with the Navigation and standard audio).

If that is what they do, then I expect the real base price (with nav and ML audio) will be closer to 50 K.

I guess we will know soon.

Here is a Lexus preliminary feature list for the 400h:

http://pressroom.toyota.com/presstxt/2006l...06lex400h_s.pdf

As for price, the way I look at it is that to upgrade from a 232hp V-6 Mercedes ML350 to a 288hp V-8 ML500, it costs $8,450 (MSRP $38,670 vs. $47,120). For that price premium, you get better performance, more features, and WORSE mileage!

The ML350 has almost the same base MSRP as the RX330, and the power improvement is comparable that of the 400h over 330.

I fully expect to pay a healthy premium, perhaps even that much.

Dylan

I will not be at all surprised if the base vehicle stickers for nearly $55,000.

No way would I even consider paying close to that sum for a vehicle that in my opinion will still be too small and underpowered for its class. It will be very interesting to see what the true mileage figures turn out to be. For those of you who decide to bite this bullet, I hope you'll get what you expect. But you're dreaming if you expect 32 to 35 mpg as some have discussed.

Lets say the vehicle is between $55,000 and $60,000.

Its closest competition is the BMW X5, the Cadillac SRX, the Infiniti FX45, and the Porsche Cayenne. Here's the breakdown:

X5

Price: $60,000

0-60: 6.9

MPG: 16/22

SRX

Price: $58,140

0-60: 6.4

MPG: 15/20

FX-45

Price: $54000

0-60: 6.4

MPG: 15/19

Porsche Cayenne

Price: $68,760

0-60: 6.9

MPG: 14/18

So, lets say the RX400h is between 55k and 60k, with performance around a conservative 0-60 of 7 seconds and MPG nearly twice what all those vehicles get in the city and nice gains on the highway, how can you say the RX400h is underpowered in its market? Looks dead on to me. As for size, the RX is larger inside (far larger actually) than every vehicle on that list save MAYBE the SRX.

What you've got to remember is that the electric motos afford much more torque, the hp number that is lower than the competition isn't as meaningful.

Good points, SW!

I spoke to a Lexus salesguy yesterday and he told me that pricing is normally available while the new vehicles are being shipped or right after they arrive. He just received pricing for the new GSs as they arrived (a bit early, I might add).

When asked about the RX400h cost, he replied that if you look at a fully-loaded RX330's price (about $46,000) and add the well-published $4 - $5000, you end up with $50 - $51,000 for the 400h. And according to the document which link is posted above, the only options are the heated seats, DVD, and Mark L. stereo.

I'll be looking for a base model, then, since it includes the voice-activated map feature.