Cabin Air Filter

retdep

Filter is located under the glove box on passenger side. My car smelled like mildew whenever I switched to the outside air so I replaced the cabin filter and now I have clean fresh air!

I have decided to do this myself although, when I got to the point of replacing the filters - there was none in there to replace!!!! How do I know which order the two filters go into the opening- I did read the following thread Here

I see on both filters I purchased -it says "up" but it does not tell me which end goes in first nor which filters inserts closer to the engine and which is closer to interior of car it would be simple to replace although I have nothing to reference....

I have a 98 ES300

rayder, on your '98 ES, it probably makes sense why the A/C filter instructions are not included in the owner's manual since you are saying that there is no filter when you tried to do it yourself. Now I remember that all of the '97-'98 ES don't have the A/C filter from the factory. I don't think it was started until with the '99 ES model year.

Okay, why do we have to be so bullheaded around here? All I asked was if the 96 has a cabin air filter; simple yes or no. What's the deal? Why does everyone always have to be stubborn and say "search" when they could just as easily say "yes" or "no" in the same time it takes to make a post that says "search". C'mon people! Alright, I'm done complaining. : ) I don't care anymore anyway; I'm not keepin the ES, I'm takin the SC. B )

Okay, why do we have to be so bullheaded around here? All I asked was if the 96 has a cabin air filter; simple yes or no. What's the deal? Why does everyone always have to be stubborn and say "search" when they could just as easily say "yes" or "no" in the same time it takes to make a post that says "search". C'mon people! Alright, I'm done complaining. : ) I don't care anymore anyway; I'm not keepin the ES, I'm takin the SC. B )

It does have a slot for it but if it has a filer installed is a 50-50 answer. One the flip side, by the time it took you to post your message you could have done a search on it. People are not trying to be a pain, it is just the the seach function is a powerful tool here.

so can anyone help me out with the orientation of these filters? Do they sandwich together? or insert one at a time?

Thanks

My 98 does not have a cabin air filter, but it has a slot of one. The filter is like $35 and is like a air filter, for an engine.

Well obviously I have the filter or I would not be asking how they go into the slot- the cost is more like $50 but it does not give instructions

To answer your question- i was told by the parts dept at Lexus all years of ES300 after 92 have cabin air filters

lol

actually rayder

all lexus have the option for a cabin air filter which i sa dealer installed option only most never go them as the dealer wanted way too much mony for it with a new car for install.

From what i understand one filter goes in first then their is a trick to slide the other one infront of it easily.

Someone answered it a while ago ,so i don;t remember

I love when parts guys aren;t sure and make vauge answers , it can get it but hardly ever came with it would hav been more appropriate.

BTW i always say search because i am tired of repeating myself.

Just like this answer which i will reiterate again for your personal readin pleasure.

This is a free site and should use it appropriatly. No one pays to be here or gets paid so when an answer is already made don;t think of yourself above others to not look for it on your own befor asking to be spoon fed.

I understand it is sooooooooo much easier to just ask before trying a few searches but it is all about respect.

You should RESPECT the people who answered the questions a few days/weeks or years ago the first time the tried to be helpful by providing info and find it yourself. Not make them go find it for you.

If someone want s to be lazy i sure as hell am not going to help them answer anything for them ,i am not about that. If it is a tricky search then i will give them options to look for to help make it better for them to find the info easily next time.

same adage of years

give a man a fish and feed him for days

tech him to fish and feed him for life.

For the 98 ES, I'm guessing you aready got to the slot for the filter since you said there was nothing there. The one filter that has the big plastic pieces on top goes in first. The side that says up goes up, there should be a little tab on one side, that faces you. Put that filter in the slot and slide it all the way up to the top. Take the other filter, the bigger one, and slide that one in underneath the other one. The side that says up goes up and also the tab in the middle should be facing you.