Time To Start A Separate Rx330 Forum?

My3rdRX

With an increasing number of older RX300s coming onto the used car market and bringing with them their own wear-n-tear issues and the fact that RX330s have a different set of unique issues, I wonder whether it's time for RX330 owners to have our own separate forum? What do you all think?

With an increasing number of older RX300s coming onto the used car market and bringing with them their own wear-n-tear issues and the fact that RX330s have a different set of unique issues, I wonder whether it's time for RX330 owners to have our own separate forum? What do you all think?

I would agree. The issues with the Rx330 are separate from the wear and tear and

maintenance issues with the RX300 used car marketplace.

Perhaps the moderators should poll the issue. Kind of like a referendum. :)

I would agree. The issues with the Rx330 are separate from the wear and tear and

maintenance issues with the RX300 used car marketplace.

Perhaps the moderators should poll the issue. Kind of like a referendum. :)

Now that is a great idea!!

You are so right! The activity on old 300's far exceeds the activity on the 330's and the noise level is high enough to make the site less and less helpful and user friendly.

Thanks for a good suggestion.

their is very little need for a seperate forum

their are many more differences between other Lexus vehicles like an ES or LS which have more than double the years of the RX but it stands to be no reason for an entirely seperate forum as many things are carried over from years as it goes on.

It sounds like a nice idea to have a nice little community of smae year owners but you end up suffering by not having similar owners share expericance of repairs and advice by segragating yourselves

Yes, a separate 330 forum will be an excellent idea. No - an excellent thing to do.

I have to agree with SK.

Having seperate forums for each generation of a model creates several problems that I can see:

1. It discourages cross posting and keeps knowledgable members from chiming in across generations. The 300 and the 330 have a lot of differences but they have a lot of similarities too and people that own each model have insights to bring to the other.

2. It opens up a pandora's box of potential subforums that would litter the site, make information harder to find, and become endlessly increasing as the models go through successive redesigns.

3. It creates a moderating nightmare. Its a big job making sure everything gets posted where it belongs and that every post is within the posting guidelines. Adding a new forum for every generation of a model triples and even quadruples the difficulty of the task. People already post in the wrong forums consistently and need to have their threads moved.

So, while there are good points I think that the bad points outwiegh the good.

I'll side with sk & sw with this issue as well. It's not necessary.......that would mean (for the ES forums that there should be at least 3 different ones & possibly 4 if one includes the ES 250 of the very early 90's). :blink: :whistles: :rolleyes:

:cheers:

With all due respect to SK, SW and Lexusfreak (who all happen to be ES owners), I believe the different forums are set up for the benefits to those who are owners of the respective model vehicles so they can discuss and look up specific issues that are unique to them. When the RX300 noise level has raised to the point where RX330 owners like myself are no longer willing to spend time browsing the site, I believe it's time to do something!

With all due respect to My3rdRX, having a well maintained forum isn't an easy job and the moderators have keep that in mind when organizing the forums. I am a teacher and moderate forums for my students as well. If I have a million places to maintain (along with all of the other things I do) then it is a nightmare for me....and the forum & my students suffer from my poor choice. I believe that there has to be a balance between pleasing the customers and the keeping a forum manageable. I know that this isn't what SW & SK do for a living....but this is a hobby/something they enjoy and their attempt to extend a helping hand to people like us.

And lets not forget that our "management" are customers here too. I completely understand the desire to seperate the forums out....but I (personally) enjoy seeing what is going on in the RX330 world...especially since I might own one at some point in time. Additionally, I think it encourages more collaboration on thoughts/ideas/suggestions/etc. amongst users.....but that is just my 2 cents worth.

My3rdRX- Its your perogative to spend less time on the site, but this is how the site is set up, and its set up this way for good reason. There have been successive versions of the ES far more different from each other than the RX300 to the RX330 also and we don't have seperate sub forums for that model, or any other model. This has nothing to do with us prefering one model over the others, NO models have subforums for different generations. We simply don't have the manpower or the desire to do something like that, sorry.

There's a very simple way to rectify this supposed dilemma.

Whenever a new topic is posted, use the "topic description" line (under the topic title line) to type in either "RX300" or "RX330".

Problem solved.

There's a very simple way to rectify this supposed dilemma.

Whenever a new topic is posted, use the "topic description" line (under the topic title line) to type in either "RX300" or "RX330".

Problem solved.

Thanks, RX in NC, I believe you hit the nail right on the head. I might have gone too far about the need for a completely separate RX330 forum, if specifying the model in the title line would work. Obviously this requires everybody's cooperation. Can the Management Team/Moderator encourage this practice in any way? SK, SW, others?

I think thats a fine idea, we can encourage that to a point but past that it will do more harm than good. A lot of internet forums (including other Lexus forums that shall remain nameless) are very into regimenting and standardizing the way members post and behave, postings MUST go in a myriad of complicated different model specific forums and posts MUST be worded a certain way or they get edited or removed. You look down the forum page and 1/4 of the posts in any given forum have been moved, often for reasons that aren't transparent to the members.

We prefer to let our members have as much freedom in posting as possible, and in order for that to happen the forum choices must be simple and we are pretty friendly and lax about posts neccisarily being in the right forum. For instance often general discussions are allowed to continue in the model forums because we realize that members like to address their immediate forum-mates who they know the best etc. This thread for instance really belongs in the feedback forum but we're content to leave it here as it is RX specific. We prefer to leave people alone when we can, unless they're being rude, advertising or something is OBVIOUSLY out of place.

SO I think the best idea is for key members who agree with this idea to begin posting this way and including the model in your post title (Most posts seem to do this anyway) but we're not going to get on members for not doing it.