1992 Es 300

Anovice

The dashboard lights on my 1992 ES 300 are going one by one. It started with the temperature guage, went onto the tachometer and now the 0-40 mph lights are out on the speedometer. A few questions. What is causing this? If I go to the Toyota dealer, can they fix it and the approximate cost? Can a competent independent mechanic fix it? If so, what can I tell him the problem is. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
The dashboard lights on my 1992 ES 300 are going one by one. It started with the temperature guage, went onto the tachometer and now the 0-40 mph lights are out on the speedometer. A few questions. What is causing this? If I go to the Toyota dealer, can they fix it and the approximate cost? Can a competent independent mechanic fix it? If so, what can I tell him the problem is. Any other thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

There is a place you can send them to..to get a Permanent Repair..go to DASHUSA.com..they will replace the PC and repair the needles..costs 350.00..then you will never have to worry about them again. I had them done on my car and they are fantastic!!!

Just want to add this...for everyones benefit...the reason why these led lights in the instrument clusters in the 90 - 98 models are going bad is because the LED lights were made for only 12 volts, well..the bad news is..the alternator puts out 14 volts..and over time it burns out the led's.

also, a SMALL Warning..after you take out the instrument cluster..you will still be able to drive the car..HOWEVER!!, do not because when you do..you will blow the CENTER Airbag sensor..and your Airbag light on the cluster when you get it back and re-install it will stay ON all the time..which is a CODE 41, your diagnostics will will come back..wiring harness OK and fuse OK..which means REPLACE the Center Airbag sensor..at the tune of over $300 at the dealer ship plus labor.

I said you will still be able to drive the car, HOWEVER, since the ECU is not getting the right information from the MISSING cluster it will probably stall out at traffic lights ETC, NOT a GOOD thing.

Hope this helps you'all out there in Lexus land.

• 3 weeks later...
Just want to add this...for everyones benefit...the reason why these led lights in the instrument clusters in the 90 - 98 models are going bad is because the LED lights were made for only 12 volts, well..the bad news is..the alternator puts out 14 volts..and over time it burns out the led's.

also,  a SMALL Warning..after you take out the instrument cluster..you will still be able to drive the car..HOWEVER!!,  do not because when you do..you will blow the CENTER Airbag sensor..and your Airbag light on the cluster when you get it back and re-install it will stay ON all the time..which is a CODE 41, your diagnostics will will come back..wiring harness OK and fuse OK..which means REPLACE the Center Airbag sensor..at the tune of over $300 at the dealer ship plus labor.

I said you will still be able to drive the car, HOWEVER, since the ECU is not getting the right information from the MISSING cluster it will probably stall out at traffic lights  ETC,  NOT a GOOD thing.

Sorry, but every bit of that is wrong. Most especially the airbag part.

There is a place you can send them to..to get a Permanent Repair..go to DASHUSA.com..they will replace the PC and repair the needles..costs 350.00..then you will never have to worry about them again. I had them done on my car and they are fantastic!!!

Dash USA has their own problems right now. Like a pending copyright lawsuit from Lextech. $350? rip off.

also,  a SMALL Warning..after you take out the instrument cluster..you will still be able to drive the car..HOWEVER!!,  do not because when you do..you will blow the CENTER Airbag sensor..and your Airbag light on the cluster when you get it back and re-install it will stay ON all the time..which is a CODE 41, your diagnostics will will come back..wiring harness OK and fuse OK..which means REPLACE the Center Airbag sensor..at the tune of over $300 at the dealer ship plus labor.

I said you will still be able to drive the car, HOWEVER, since the ECU is not getting the right information from the MISSING cluster it will probably stall out at traffic lights  ETC,  NOT a GOOD thing.

Well, only part of that is true is the stall, and srs light. I had that happen to me when I had my cluster removed. The srs light is easily resetable.

Well, I have the 92 Lexus Factory Manual in my hand you want to argue that..?

OK...I still have not done anything about this problem since November. Is or is not Dashusa.com an option and is or is not $350 a fair price? My needles are fine, the problem is my instrument lights.

The best thing to do at this point is send it to www.lextech.org {LLS} and get it done right the first time for a fair price. I have had my 93 es cluster done there and AAA+++++++++++++ I beleive it was $120.00 for all the backlights and the needles . I am a satisfied customer and stand by their work...

OK...I still have not done anything about this problem since November. Is or is not Dashusa.com an option and is or is not $350 a fair price? My needles are fine, the problem is my instrument lights.

Go to DASHUSA.com and find their phone number and call them..they will gladly tell you over the phone. If it is not the needles..I would think it was something else like a bad reostat!!!

Good Luck

Dash USA has their own problems right now. Like a pending copyright lawsuit from Lextech. $350? rip off.

I'm happy...that's all that counts mate!!!

If you can come up with a better explanation...let's hear it, don't just say I'm wrong...that's not right!!!

The best thing to do at this point is send it to www.lextech.org {LLS} and get it done right the first time for a fair price. I have had my 93 es cluster done there and AAA+++++++++++++ I beleive it was $120.00 for all the backlights and the needles . I am a satisfied customer and stand by their work...

More power to you Hoss. if I would have run into LEXTECH before I ran into DASHUSA, maybe I would agree with you I don't know...it's a case by case issue, I would say...or maybe I should have asked you first..that's where it's at!!!

But, since I don't even know you..how could I know..glad you got a fair price..shows there is honesty still in this world...LOL!!!

I'm a satisfied customer too...and stand behind their work also...my cluster is working just fine thank you...even has a gold trimmed outline..real pretty now..!!!

Well, I have the 92 Lexus Factory Manual in my hand you want to argue that..?

LOL. Yes i do. :D I would know.

More power to you Hoss. if I would have run into LEXTECH before I ran into DASHUSA, maybe I would agree with you I don't know...it's a case by case issue, I would say...or maybe I should have asked you first..that's where it's at!!!

But, since I don't even know you..how could I know..glad you got a fair price..shows there is honesty still in this world...LOL!!!

I'm a satisfied customer too...and stand behind their work also...my cluster is working just fine thank you...even has a gold trimmed outline..real pretty now..!!!

I have searched this board and have not found anyone with the name HOSS are you sure you are on the right forum ?

I have searched this board and have not found anyone with the name HOSS are you sure you are on the right forum ?

NO Offense..DC..where's your explanation...if I'm so wrong and what part am I wrong..I think I desevve an explanation...

Thanks...

NO Offense..DC..where's your explanation...if I'm so wrong and what part am I wrong..I think I desevve an explanation...

Thanks...

Just one more thing DC..you wouldn't happen to have an interest in Lextech would you..?

Thanks...

Just one more thing DC..you wouldn't happen to have an interest in Lextech would you..?

No affiliation whatsoever with lextech, And my forum name is not hoss. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks...

No affiliation whatsoever with lextech, And my forum name is not hoss. ;)

Well Mr. DCfish..still looks like you can't back up..your challenge to my explanation..by the way..Hoss was just a figure of speech...you know like Bubba!!!

• 4 months later...

I just took my gauge cluster out and replaced the bulbs. They were easily obtainable from a regular auto parts store. Just take one of your bulbs in when you go..rojayva

I'm happy...that's all that counts mate!!!

• 1 year later...