Is A K&n Air Filter A Good Idea In The Rx300?

picturethis

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you could throw one in if you had enough money to burn on a new MAF sensor. If you have a highly modified car then yeah, there will be advantages with the K&N. If you're just throwing in a K&N to increase performance but you don't have any mods then how will it benefit you? All you're doing in allowing more air to enter the combustion process with less restriction...but how about the exhaust gas trying to exit your exhaust system, it's still restricted isn't it? Don't you think the restrictive exhaust system will cancel out the "power" that your K&N is suppose to give you? A modified intake isn't going to do you any good without headers and exhaust.

I never knew that they didn't have Arco in other states, they seem to be everywhere around here, kind of like McDonalds.

I think it's a BP company on the West cost. Goes by other names elsewhere. Maybe one of those monopoly things.

I guess some states have different standards for gas addative, etc. I hear you only get 91 ocatane out there. We get 93 octane premium gas here.

Yeah, 91 would be considered treating your baby good out here. So does BP have a bad rep over there?

BP seems ok. I use it some when traveling if that's what's available where I stop . I mostly use Shell around home or Chevron.

Gas is different all over. Some states change to winter forumula. Some have certain additives on account of local pollution laws and weather factors. I think there are like 49 different blends of gas.

The big thing for me is price. If I go to Ohio, gas will be 10 cents or more higher than here. Georgia has the lowest prices in the east. I can go from Georgia to Florida, and the price jumps 15 to 20 cents. Local and state taxes, I guess.

Why not try Sunoco Ultra 94 for a couple of tank full's?  B)  It's the best gas available up here in Canada at least. 

:cheers:

I've tried it in Ohio. I can't see the difference, since super premium is 93 octane in any brands in the areas where I travel. Last year I filled up with the Sunoco 94 in Cleveland, and refilled with the same, half way home. I got my usual 26 MPG traveling all intertate at 70 - 80 MPH on cruise for 675 miles. (except, of course for pit stops)

What I really can't undersand it these guys driving around on 89 octane gas, when the car's manual calls for premium. I think that's where some are getting their carbon buildup, knocking, gumming, etc.

I guess you could throw one in if you had enough money to burn on a new MAF sensor. If you have a highly modified car then yeah, there will be advantages with the K&N. If you're just throwing in a K&N to increase performance but you don't have any mods then how will it benefit you? All you're doing in allowing more air to enter the combustion process with less restriction...but how about the exhaust gas trying to exit your exhaust system, it's still restricted isn't it? Don't you think the restrictive exhaust system will cancel out the "power" that your K&N is suppose to give you? A modified intake isn't going to do you any good without headers and exhaust.

I know at least one person who installed an aftermarket intake filter (2002 Z06)and gained 15 RWHP - nothing else was added. The reason for this is that quite often noise is a factor when manufacturers are choosing an intake system. Less noise could very well mean less power. This is also true for exhaust systems as well. I don't have headers, only intake and exhaust in my 01 Corvette, yet I gained almost 13 RWHP over the stock configuration. The OEM airbox is very restrictive.

Was that 15whp dyno proven? You're talking about a Corvette here, aren't those motors already built for perfomance buddy? We're getting a little off track here cause people on this forum are throwing K&N's into their RX's. An RX and a Corvette is in 2 totally different classes.

It's just an air filter. But you gotta put a nice smooth intake tube behind it, get rid of thos "quiet" resonator boxes. A TRD drop in filter with a JoeZ intake tube gets a 8 WHP increase on an otherwise stock IS300. Dyno proven by JoeZ hisself. :D

Was that 15whp dyno proven? You're talking about a Corvette here, aren't those motors already built for perfomance buddy? We're getting a little off track here cause people on this forum are throwing K&N's into their RX's. An RX and a Corvette is in 2 totally different classes.

I was responding to this statement that you made:

"A modified intake isn't going to do you any good without headers and exhaust."

The example I gave regarding restrictive intakes is fairly common across vehicle types, not just among high-performance vehicles. It does help to open up the exhaust, but gaining extra power over stock HP is not dependant upon it.

The posts just before this one confirm this.