Tutorials

92Lex

I've added....1st generation timing belt and water pump and a how to remove painted pin stripes..plus a few others. I'm not an expert (I'm only a smog check test only technician) so I'm sure that if I'm able to do these then almost anyone will be capable of doing the same. I found this club and people here to be very helpful so hopefully my tutorials will give back somehow. If I missed anything please feel free to add to it.

92lex,

I just looked at a few of them........good work!! Mainly, thanks for taking the time to create all those posts. :cheers:

Well done my man!!

Swo, -if your out there-;

I've got some similar stuff for my Gen III LS, but I put them on MS Word files. Is there a way to send them to you to get them posted as well......... :unsure:

Swo,  -if your out there-;

I've got some similar stuff for my  Gen III LS,  but I put them on  MS Word files.  Is there a way to send them to you to get them posted as well......... :unsure:

Steve, 99's tutorials are amazing...they need to be posted for all the owners with 95-00 LS's!!

Nice work 92Lex! ;)

:cheers:

thats GREAT!!!

we really appreciate it.........i've been saying for a long time now, since we are all diyers we need to start taking pics and making how to's to add to our tutorials section for everyone to use...... (i'm the worst about remembering to make a "how to" when i do something)

great work :cheers:

good work! i know this is a bit late but the motor runs ultra smooth if you change those idler bearings and any other pully stuff in the components belt area. i hope you changed those, i did on mine and it made a huge difference!. props again for the extra work and dedication! you should be awarded a free gold member subscription;)

Thanks. It wasn't fun working on the car and taking pics at the same time but if it'll help someone else down the line later then it's well worth it. There's nothing more satisfying then doing it yourself!

Oh, I did change both idler bearings...I changed pretty much everything that was on the way.

Joe,

Click on Lexus Forums and scroll down towards the bottom to the tutorials. Hell yeah, I'm putting in down for the 916. Say wassup if you see a white 91 sitting coach rims. Do you happen to know a Sharon from the bayarea?

92Lex. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I saw Matthew is getting ready to set up something on this. I wasn't sure what the "over here" part was? I think he is in England?

If everytime someone did a job, took digital pictures it would be great. Save a us a lot of time. I even saved myself when I had to do tailight bulbs agin. I had forgotten.

I suggest that they all be done on PowerPoint to PDF. I realise that not everyone has the computer stuff to do that but there are many of us here to help. I learn a lot here, and it is much better that the rest of the stuff out there. Cool people here (in my humble opinion).

Denny

Matthew, if you're serious about it then I wouldn't mind having my tutorials in there either! They're not the greatest but I guess it kinda gives some people the "idea" of what to look for and what to remove.

Thanks VB, I agree...everyone should take pictures of things as they work on their car..it sure would save a lot time for others. It doesn't take too much time of your own either. The hardest part of it was trying not to get dirt and grease all over the camera!!

Jzz, yeah...my car runs very smooth, now I just have that annoying ticking to take care of.

Believe me when I say I know how much work it is to create tutorials!!! So 92Lex and others who have taken the extra time to take pictures, thank you :D.

If you guys only knew how much time and money I have put into my site. Some of my tutorials take days of work to be able to put online. I like to pull information from as many sources as I can so the tutorial is as thorough as possible. I'll shut up now about my work, I'm not trying to steal your thunder 92Lex ;).

Anyway, my main point. You guys should submit any tutorials you have to me so I can format them for Lexls.com!!!! Mr. jzz30 has already contributed a wonderful article on the PS pump. Someone said they have tutorials for second gens...send 'em to me! I don't have any second gen tutorials yet. I can only do so much, but with the help of others, that's YOU reading this, the site will improve and improve. 92Lex, I would love to include some or all of your tutorials if you give me permission. Are your pictures by any chance larger than the ones you posted? What I really want is all 640x480 pics. My point here is that if we unify we can create a gigantic source of information which will be beneficial to everyone. If you have something email me, PM me, or just post.

Believe me when I say I know how much work it is to create tutorials!!!  So 92Lex and others who have taken the extra time to take pictures, thank you :D.

If you guys only knew how much time and money I have put into my site.  Some of my tutorials take days of work to be able to put online.  I like to pull information from as many sources as I can so the tutorial is as thorough as possible.  I'll shut up now about my work, I'm not trying to steal your thunder 92Lex  ;).

Anyway, my main point.  You guys should submit any tutorials you have to me so I can format them for Lexls.com!!!!  Mr. jzz30 has already contributed a wonderful article on the PS pump.  Someone said they have tutorials for second gens...send 'em to me!  I don't have any second gen tutorials yet.  I can only do so much, but with the help of others, that's YOU reading this, the site will improve and improve. 92Lex, I would love to include some or all of your tutorials if you give me permission.  Are your pictures by any chance larger than the ones you posted?  What I really want is all 640x480 pics.  My point here is that if we unify we can create a gigantic source of information which will be beneficial to everyone.  If you have something email me, PM me, or just post.

Lexls and LOC Mngmt/Mods,

I've got some basic stuff for Gen III maintenance on MS Word Files. Procedures are very much like 92lex has documented but they are for 98-00 LS ; in case someone just wants the Gen III specific stuff and current photos of engine/components, etc. I agree they should stay on LOC first and foremost, as this forum inspired me to do these.....but I don't mind copies going to your site either, Lexls.

THey have documentation for each photo and text on photographs as well....

PM me and I'll send them to you.... If they'll work.....Great! :D

i just think they should be exclusive to the members HERE on the LOC......we are a small family here and we ought to keep all our hard work for other LOC members to view in house........just my opinion though.

I'm only trying to improve things and help the community. I agree that the tutorials posted here should reside here, and they will unless someone deletes them. But what's wrong with adding them to my site and improving them? Some of the tutorials I have seen here are lacking important steps! This can be quite confusing for people. Maybe you haven't checked out the article jzz30 contributed. I gave him full credit on my site and posted a link to the original article here. In addition I found out that the pumps are not the same and noted the differences in the tutorial. This could have caused many problems for people if they did not know this small piece of info. I worked on that tutorial for about 12-16 hours pulling together as much info as I could, and personally, I think it has improved. I'm only trying to help the community. I thought you liked my site silvermate...but from that post it sounds like you don't want it to grow :unsure:. I want it to grow and I know others do too. In order for this to happen I need help.

oh i didn't mean to offend you, if i did i'm sorry, i wasn't making that comment directly to you, i just think the tutorials our members make should be accessable to fellow members of the LOC, on this board, thats all...........and i want this sites tutorials to grow first and foremost, i think that is very important to our club.........if we or they would like to add the tutorials on your site as well, that would be even better actually that would be GREAT :)

i love your site man, its awsome...i look at it all the time its on my favorite page......... :D

you put ton of work into it and it shows........you are also a great asset as a member here on the LOC and i'm thrilled you're a part of our club, and i'm glad you are here....... :)

its enthusiasts like you that get people pumped up (including me) to do their own work on the ole flagship LS.........:cheers:

Some of the tutorials I have seen here are lacking important steps!  This can be quite confusing for people.

Yes, all tutorials leave out one step or another. It's human nature for a pro to inadvertently leave out something that could be critical for a novice attempting a job. That's why it's important for do-it-yourselfers to have access to multiple tutorials covering the same job. And Lexls, since you are not a pro like 92Lex, your tutorials may tend to be even more valuable to a novice because you are less likely to leave out important steps and take things for granted the way a pro would tend to. Then on the other hand, a pro like 92Lex can offer insider tips that a non-pro wouldn't know and even think about.

Lexis,

Tell us where you would like to send the tutorials we have made. I know how long it takes to make them, but then again they are well worth doing. Is this on LOC or something else?

Denny

monarch, good point. Some of you guys that write up tutorials are pros or have been doing auto stuff for years so it's second nature. I'm not a pro, but I love to learn!

Denny and anyone else who wants to submit a tutorial...just email me: info@lexls.com It's ok to send large pictures too, just try to keep each message less than 5MB or else the server might time out. If you have more pictures just break the files up into separate emails.

92Lex.  Thanks for taking the time to do this.  I saw Matthew is getting ready to set up something on this.  I wasn't sure what the "over here" part was?  I think he is in England? 

yeah - I am in the UK Denny - just over the water from Liverpool ;)

Matthew, if you're serious about it then I wouldn't mind having my tutorials in there either! They're not the greatest but I guess it kinda gives some people the "idea" of what to look for and what to remove.

92Lex - I am deadly serious :)

This is the link to the existing knowledgebase - Lexus Owners Knowledgebase.

If you are willing, I will arrange for you to become an editor on the knowledgebase, and be able to post your tutorials in there.

I will also create a direct link to the LS Tutorials at the top of the LS forum ;)

I've got some basic stuff for Gen III maintenance on MS Word Files.  Procedures are very much like 92lex has documented but they are for 98-00 LS ;  in case someone just wants the Gen III specific stuff and current photos of engine/components, etc.  I agree they should stay on LOC first and foremost,  as this forum inspired me to do these.....but I don't mind copies going to your site either, Lexls.

THey have documentation for each photo and  text on photographs as well....

PM me and I'll send them to you....  If they'll work.....Great! :D

Yes please 99lsguy. :D

Would you also be interested in being a Knowledgebase Editor?

I've got some basic stuff for Gen III maintenance on MS Word Files.  Procedures are very much like 92lex has documented but they are for 98-00 LS ;  in case someone just wants the Gen III specific stuff and current photos of engine/components, etc.  I agree they should stay on LOC first and foremost,  as this forum inspired me to do these.....but I don't mind copies going to your site either, Lexls.

THey have documentation for each photo and  text on photographs as well....

PM me and I'll send them to you....  If they'll work.....Great! :D

Yes please 99lsguy. :D

Would you also be interested in being a Knowledgebase Editor?

Matthew, I'll be glad to help out..............

Gotta run.......I'll be back this afternoon to check in...........