Ground Wire Kit

blueviol

I ordered a kit on e-bay for $19.95 plus 19,95 shipping ( I thuoght that was excessive). I ordered it to us on my SC400 even though the kit was listed for a SC300. The kit does not fit the SC400 because the battery post adapter is too hign and interferes with the hood. I had to mount it on the frame. I noticed better cranking speed but I have not driven the car yet. The previous post is correct. Go to a stereo store and have them make up wires. Pre measure for a neater install. I would go to a marine store to get a grounding buss to terminate the cables and then run 1 cable to the neg battery terminal. The kit I ordered had seven wires. They suggested intake manifold, cylinder head, engine block, transmision and headlights. The cables were not long enough to reach the alternator or transmision and I could not figure how to connect a cable to the headlights. I spent $40 for the kit and could have done the same for $15.

I have been a Marine engine mechanic and have found that 90% of all electrical problems can be caused by poor grounding.

Agreed with a stereo store as i mentioned earlier.

I did another car this past weekend with more than happy results as usual for a 12 year old car.

I am not sure i would use a marine buss unit as it works but in a fibreglass hull you need a ground point but in a car everything is a ground point. By using single points you can create multiple waves to make a gorund loop noise.

Those ebay kits are over rated and priced.

Why do you need to ground your head and block? They are botled together ?

Just another cash grab.

On an ES their are 3 main ground points

1 - under the battery tray , .5 feet

1 - to the transmission , 1.5 feet

1+ to the starter, 1 foot

everything else is not high current and is usually fine.

5 feet 0-1 gauge wire max ,$25

6 0-1 gauge gold teminals $15

that is everything and it works great , i don't use cheap wire which can harden with a cheap copper conductor, which leads to the reason you just replaced them.

Compare a GM ground wire which is hard brittle and oxidixed after a year or 2 to a Toyota which is much more plyableafter years of use.

If you decide to change your battery terminals do not buy cheap ones as they will not fit snug and fall off, i had more than a few customers who have had problems and left them with me for paperweights.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, so right when I'm convinced that a grounding MUST be a good thing, I get told by Lexus that its purely a cosmetic enhancement. I was in to the dealer for the timing belt change and thought I'd ask about it...thats what they told me. So now I'm confused on wether or not to get the kit.