You Won't Believe This!

Remember I left a post saying we were supposed to pick up our 2005 ES330???

We live in Sarasota. The color with the option package we wanted was in Orlando.

My husband called and talk to the salesperson and I talked to the Manager.

We told them that we were coming on Saturday to pick up the car.

My husband was in Chicago and didn't get home until late Friday night.

The dealer said, "no problem, we will hold the car for you."

We offered to give them a deposit on a credit card, but they declined.

We were told the car was in a warehouse and customers wouldn't even see it to know it was there.

So, Saturday we get up and head out on the road.

The dealer is 2 hours away from us.

We are about 45 minutes from the dealer when my cell phone rings.

It's the salesman.

He says, "oh, I've been trying to reach you for hours"

I say "my cell phone has been on since we left and it worked fine when my kids just called me awhile ago?"

He says "the cars not here"

I say " what are you talking about?"

He says "we sold the car, we sold the car!"

I say "WHAT!!!"

He says "the manager said that a customer was interested in it and we couldn't hold it, and we sold the car."

I say "you guys said you were holding it for us, that's what we're driving there for."

He says, "do you want me to call you when another one comes in?"

I say "NO" and I hung up the phone on him.

Can you believe that crap!!!!

What idiots!

My hubby needs 5 more vehicles for his sales reps and not one purchase will be from that dealership!

All the dealerships I called were wanting the business.

I told them straight up I was "shopping" for the best deal.

EVERY dealer I called gave me a price on the phone or email....except this dealer.

He wouldn't give me a price and he wouldn't take a deposit.

ALL the other dealers told me a price and were willing to take a deposit.

I explained that 2 hours was a long way to drive to just get a price.

Especially when I knew one other dealer gave me a great deal.

So the sales guy asked me what they offered and I told him.

He said they could match that deal.

I should have known by how they were acting.

They sold the car to someone who didn't shop and probably just paid the MSRP!

I'm totally soured on the Lexus now.

After reading all the posts here, I don't think LEXUS is that great anymore.

When I had my LS400, they were wonderful and I never had a problem with my car.

I think we are going to pass on the lexus now.

I'm a believer in fate.

Maybe God doesn't want me to buy a Lexus?

I will say one good thing.

Anyone in Florida wanting to buy a Lexus should contact the Ft. Myers dealership.

I called all of the dealers in Florida and the Ft. Myers dealership gave me the best price, an email showing what states had the car I wanted, were willing to do whatever it took to get my business. The salesperson was very friendly.

I actually felt bad not buying the car from them.

They didn't have the package or color I wanted though.

I should have just let them order it for me and waited.

I'm so bummed!!!!

Lexus of Orlando

305 North Semoran Boulevard

Winter Park, FL 32792

Home of deceit!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to hear your bad luck :o That was real bad of them

How long were you on the road for until you got the call?

Dont be put off by Lexus... They are very fine cars indeed. Just because you see problems here do not think that Lexus is riddled with problems.. afterall these forums are here to answer questions to the few that have problems.

I have been a lexus owner for 5 years and loved every moment and I am on my 3rd one.

Its the dealers that you need to be carefull of.. but its the same with all car brand dealerships.. some are good and some are bad.

Its not the cars fault... it really becomes worthwhile when owning one.

We already drove for an hour and 15 minuntes when he called.

Also, when I got home I checked my home phone.

I have caller ID on my cell and my home phone.

Not one call was there.

They just sold the car and only called so that they could tell me the bad news on the phone VS in the dealership showroom in front of other customers!

I definitely feel that a complaint to the Lexus Corporation is in order! It's true that some dealerships play this game, but the Lexus Corporation monitors it's dealerships that fail to meet their standards. Luckily, I haven''t had any problems with my home dealer or others.......so far. :rolleyes:

I looked on lexus.com and I'm not sure where to place that complaint?

Anyone know where I should place my complaint to?

Is this a phone call issue or do you think I should just email someone????

Not sure where to complain.....but I have the speech all ready for them!

That sucks but...

Money talks. Your right in thinking that they had a individual that was willing to pay MSRP or even a few hundred over what you where going to. The dealer had a customer with hard money sitting in the show room vs. someone that said "they where on the way". How would they really know that you where really on the way.

I guess I would have insisted in making the deposit over the phone.

It took us a while to find the "right" Lexus. Some cars where sold from under us while we where looking at others in the lot. That car like many of ours where not ment to be.

Later, George

Agreed head office should be contacted as well as black balling the sales man for his underhanded buisness dealings. Can't blame the whole dealer because i am sure it wasn't a problem created by everyone at the dealer just one.

We tried several times to get them to take a deposit on the car.

We offered a credit card and the sales person said that this dealership doesn't offer that.

I then called and talked to the GM who told me the same thing....but they assured us that they were holding the car for us.

They said it was in a warehouse and customer's wouldn't even see it and thus the car would be "unknown" to a browsing customer.

The GM and the salesperson are both at fault here!

I can't even find enough words to describe how deceitful they are.

I will call Lexus, but I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears!

The two bad seeds:

Manny

Mike Greenspan

NEVER deal with either jerk!

don't let two bad apples sour your taste for Lexus. The dealerships are independent and not all care for their customers as we would like to be treated.

Take you business elsewhere and tell them the whole strory. The dealership closest to you or the one you will want to do service with. They will most likely welcome you with open arms.

As suggested, definately tell the ordeal to 800-255-3987.

A letter to the GM, sales manager and salesman detailing the events and the resulting loss of 6 guarenteed sales is in order. CC a copy to the Lexus corporate office and the owner of the dealership.

Hang in there Vicki, you deserve the Lexus you want, but you do not deserve to be treated like you did.

steviej

I called Lexus Corp today.

They apologized for the dealers actions and said that is not how Lexus wants their customers to be treated.

This complaint goes to management and they do contact the GM and let him know that they received a complaint about them.

I'm sure they could care less, but I did call and complain.

Doesn't make me feel any better though :(

They actually do care, the company can "punish" the dealer through their CSI score which effects pay rates, car allocation, finance rates to keep cars on the lot. Etc. There's really not a lot that you can do, if you didn't put a deposit down then there is no contract to hold the car and it can be sold. It might not be that salesman's fault. There are several ways that an unsold car can be sold out from under a salesman who has a customer that wants it and doesn't have a deposit on it. It can be allocated from another dealer and traded etc. Most likely what happened is just waht you said, he found a way to make more money on the car and he took it. What an a-hole. Thats probably why they refused a deposit.

But if you let two people who don't even work for Lexus sour you on the brand you're being more than a little rediculous. There are plenty of ES330s around, this isn't some super rare car that can only be very rarely found in certain combinations. There are thousands of ES330s out there just like this one, and a good salesman and dealer WILL find you one I promise. Just go to the next lowest price dealer and explain what happened, they will find you one at the price you discussed.

You learned a lesson I learned when I bought my ES300, don't let price be the ONLY consideration when buying a car. This happened to you and the dealer was hours away for what? A few hundred $$? I was working with a very nice woman at one dealer when a dealer offered it $400 cheaper somewhere else. I apologized to the woman who could not meet their price and went over there. The guy ordered my car and when it came it 3 weeks later it had the wrong interior color. I was so shocked I couldn't believe it. He had ordered the wrong color. So I called back to the other woman and she had actually allocated the car for me anyway because she knew from the allocation computer that there was no way that other dealer was going to be able to get me the right car, it just didn't exist (I had ordered a rare combination). She even came down on the price $200, halfway between the two. I happily paid it and have someone to trust when I buy my next Lexus.

You get what you pay for.

I learned a lesson...if they don't take a deposit on the car....then you don't have a deal!

My deal was $1,200 difference though, which was worth a two hour drive.

My hubby and I have let the steam die down and have put a deposit down on the ES330....except this time we went with a different dealer!

They said I should get it before the end of this month...just have to be patient.

:)

You should have stuck with Sarasota Lexus. They have been great to deal with service- wise. They offered me a great deal on a new GS300 but I found a mint private party 430 still under bumper to bumper the next day.(Thank god I didn't buy the new 300). I know a great service rep there if you wanna know her name.

I wouldnt have driven 2 hours for $1200 and I'll tell you why. See the actual sale is but a small part of the total relationship for both you, the buyer, and for the dealership. Dealerships make way more money in service than they do in sales. I design customer retention systems and consult with car dealerships for a living. The dealership looked at a lot of variables when they decided to sell your car out from under you, and one of those was probably location. At 2 hours away you were almost certainly going to service your car somewhere else. They had some other guy where they were going to not only make more on the sale, but more on the service. This is how they got your car, the salesman wanted the higher comission, and the GM wanted the local service business. Underhanded sure, you got screwed sure, but thats business. With no deposit you had no legal claim and money talks.

Be happy about a good deal and skeptical of one thats too good. The best way to buy a car is to forge a long term relationship with a dealer, then you can have them in your corner to handle warranty problems or buy another car down the road. Thats not possible 2 hours away, and its worth $25 a month.

This is why most people hate buying a car, because they make price the only variable in the equation. Would you choose a realtor based soley on what commission they'll be making or on their experience as an example? Well car dealerships and salespeople are different also and like everything else you get what you pay for. You've learned that now, Lexus of Orlando might have the best price but they'll turn right around and stick it in your back in 30 seconds if the deal's right. In a lot of ways bargain hunters and dealers like this deserve each other, because more often then not bargain hunters will do this to salespeople they've been working with too (not saying you at all did, its just people treat others the way they get treated). Salesperson from dealer A has put in 15 hours on this sale, talking back and forth with you and setting it all up, running numbers to his SM and allocating your car. You call salesman at dealer B and all he has to do is beat A's hard earned price by $300 and he makes the sale on 35 minutes work. Thats just as underhanded as what this dealer did to you but people do it all the time. Everyone's always quick to condemn underhanded sellers but never underhanded buyers.

Your theory doesn't work in my case.

I live in Sarasota. I am moving to Orlando in April.

I got the best price from the guy in Ft. Myers.....

The only reason I wanted to buy from the guy in Orlando is because I thought down the road, when I live in Orlando, the dealer would treat me better if I needed service if I bought the car from them!

Go figure that out????

This was a simple case of greed.

The worst part is knowing that this will be the dealership I have to deal with if I still buy the Lexus and it needs service!

That right there is enough to make me reconsider.

Like I said, I bought my GS private party and Lexus of Sarasota treats me like I bought it new there yesterday! They warranty anything I ask for and give me my choice of avail loaners, get me in on no notice and wash car for free(If you wan't)

Why you wan't to leave sarasota for orlando anyway,yuck.

Yeah I wasn't saying for your case, I was just talking about how the carbuying experience is made difficult by not only sellers, but buyers also.

Did the sales guy know you were moving to Orlando? Thats strange. Something extraordinary must have happened or it must have been some sort of mistake. I can't believe the sales or general managers would have knowingly let that happen...

Don't let the sales dept. worry you about service, they are seperate. I service my Lexus at the dealer that ordered the wrong color because the one I bought it from is too far. Their service dept. is fine.

I learned a lesson...if they don't take a deposit on the car....then you don't have a deal!

Not quite.

Once you reach a verbal agreement, you DO have a deal. It's not easy to prove, but a verbal deal is binding in most cases.

Personally, I'd tell the first dealer that you're going to sue his *ss in court for breach of contract. It's going to cost him your (and his) legal expenses, payment for the time you have invested, AND he'll be forced to honor his original deal.

And I wouldn't back down until he's at the very least paid you for your time and mileage.

Maybe not, but jrag does have a point. While ultimately it wouldn't work out it would cost the dealership a lot in time and money and more importantly teach them a lesson.

In this case though its not worth the hassle, just buy the car somewhere else and chock it up to a *BLEEP*ty dealer.

The thing is that they're not technically breaching the contract. They verbally agreed to sell her AN ES330 with that equipment in those colors and for that price. Until there is a deposit the SPECIFIC car is not entered into the equation. The dealer offered to find her another car, meaning they were going to make good on the deal. I would always insist on putting a deposit down. The dealer should ALWAYS accept this as it guarantees them the business. The fact that they refused would have been a major red flag that they were up to something.

Chuck- Please try and be polite, jrag like you and I is simply trying to help. You can disagree with him but please do so with the respect he deserves.

Maybe not, but jrag does have a point. While ultimately it wouldn't work out it would cost the dealership a lot in time and money and more importantly teach them a lesson.

In this case though its not worth the hassle, just buy the car somewhere else and chock it up to a *BLEEP*ty dealer.

The thing is that they're not technically breaching the contract. They verbally agreed to sell her AN ES330 with that equipment in those colors and for that price. Until there is a deposit the SPECIFIC car is not entered into the equation. The dealer offered to find her another car, meaning they were going to make good on the deal. I would always insist on putting a deposit down. The dealer should ALWAYS accept this as it guarantees them the business. The fact that they refused would have been a major red flag that they were up to something.

Chuck- Please try and be polite, jrag like you and I is simply trying to help. You can disagree with him but please do so with the respect he deserves.

Right.

The dealer knew that he had a deal with her. That is why he offered to get her another car and when she said no she broke the verbal contract.

I have edited my above post in order to not be rude. Didn't mean anything personal. I hope she finds a nice es. :) I was just sharing insight since I am very familiar with her local(sarasota) dealer. Over & Out ;)

I didn't think he sounded rude.

I just don't like Sarasota either.

Sarasota doesn't budge off of the MSRP.

Plus, when we bought our LS400 a few years ago, they were not great to deal with back then either.

Problem around here is too many people have $$$ so they don't have to do anything they don't want to.

We are moving out of Sarasota because the kids are going to college in Orlando.

Not ready to be that far away from them yet.

Besides, you can only go out to eat and go to a movie only soooo many times before it gets old. There is nothing fun to do in Sarasota if you are a "younger" person....LOL

MHO