Oil Light

pittsbfan2000

I have a 91 LS 400... The oil light started coming on when i go around 76 - 80mph, the oil light will stay on till I drop to 70-74. It has not come on below that yet. And this problem just started, i did get another oil change, that didn't help. does anyone have any ideas what I should look at or change?

Thanks for any suggestions

This also happened to me. Make sure your oil level is up to full. Many shops when doing an oil change automatically think 5qrts of oil is all you car needs, but in reallity it needs 5.6qts of oil. Just add a half a quart and the light should go away. Or maybe your low oil sensor switch is going bad, give it a try and post back your results.

well lets start with the obvious..is the car leaking any noticable oil ie.. drain plug, underneath, any of the seals or gaskets?

what does the dipstick say?

is your check engine light on?

check to see if oil has been sprayed behind the oil pan on the parts underneath the car.

if you don't see any noticeable leaks of any sort....it might well could be a faulty sensor.....

1990 LS400, 64K miles, oil changed every 3k since new.

I had the same problem two weeks ago on my way to San Fran. I was out in the desert in 100+ heat and the oil light would come on for 10-15 secs @ 85mph. No gas for 20 miles. Sweating it out, I finally made it to a Mobil station and checked the oil. It looked like it need less than a 1/2 qt. So I carefully topped up (about 1/3 qt., 5w/30) Problem solved!! It needed just a little oil for some reason. The oil sensor is very sensitive. The dip stick is also very hard to read compared to other cars I've owned. Try putting in a small amount of oil and keep the rest in the trunk. I'm bet you're not leaking oil. You just need to add oil periodically.

THere is an oil pressure switch underneath the oil filter. More than likely it has developed some "sludge" in in over the years.

If the problem persists........I"d take it in for another oil change and while the pan is drained- unscrew the pressure switch and clean it; or replace emtirely.

You don't need to change the oil filter........just replace with fresh oil.

but in reallity it needs 5.6qts of oil.

5.6 quarts? Strange- the dealer charges me for 7 quarts of oil at every oil change. :unsure: I was under the impression that these cars held 7 quarts of oil. Oh well. Luckily, no oil warning lamp problem, nor oil leakage/usage between oil changes (not yet at least), so I should be OK.

My 91 LS does the same thing. 1/3 to 1/2 qt low, light comes on while cruising at times. Add oil to full, light never comes on for several thousand more miles.

I did an engine flush before changing to synthetic oil. Started to replace the oil switch with a Napa part, but problem was "solved" by adding oil.

Now, I have a light to tell me when to add 1/2 qt :-).

I drive over 30,000 per yr on my 91 LS. It's GREAT.

NTW

EB

• 3 years later...

Just curious if the low oil level sensor on a 1992 LS400 if below a certain level will shut the car off or "save" the engine? I can start the car and within a few moments, less than 30 seconds, the car shuts down. Fuel pump relay seems to be fine, and i have done all major replacements on this car, tbelt, wp, ignition wires, plugs, egr pipe, etc, etc.... Gonna go put some oil in it and see if bringin the oil level up makes a difference. Level came down when the front crankseal leaked after replacing it. Gouged up the crankshaft sealing surface, had to smooth up the gouge and replace the seal again before it would quit leaking. Now that the level is low in the oil sump, the car started to act up and die over time. I will let all know if this is possible with a low oil level condition.

later

THE SNAKE

Just curious if the low oil level sensor on a 1992 LS400 if below a certain level will shut the car off or "save" the engine? I can start the car and within a few moments, less than 30 seconds, the car shuts down. Fuel pump relay seems to be fine, and i have done all major replacements on this car, tbelt, wp, ignition wires, plugs, egr pipe, etc, etc.... Gonna go put some oil in it and see if bringin the oil level up makes a difference. Level came down when the front crankseal leaked after replacing it. Gouged up the crankshaft sealing surface, had to smooth up the gouge and replace the seal again before it would quit leaking. Now that the level is low in the oil sump, the car started to act up and die over time. I will let all know if this is possible with a low oil level condition.

later

THE SNAKE

bringing the oil level up does not help the cars sudden shut down. It continues to shut down? No C E L yet, i have already pulled the fuse previously, but im sure it is only a matter of time before i have a code 71 and hopefully any more codes to work with that will tell me why its shutting down. Any help, let me know.

THE SNAKE

:angry: