Wider/lower Profile Tires For Sc400

92SC400owner

I'd like to upgrade the wheels (bigger) and tires (wider and lower profile) on my '92 SC400. My questions are:

1) Should I go to 17" or 18" wheels?

2) How wide a tire will fit in the front? In the back?

3) If you've done this, please let me know what you did (size and brand of wheel and tires), how much it costs, and if you're happy with the results (looks, ride, handling performance, etc...).

Thanks,

92SC400owner

There are not many tire choices for the 17" rims and if you have a lot of potholes or do city driving 18" rims can easily be damaged. I kept my original 16" rims and put on Goodyear GS D3 F1 ultra high performance tires. This was the best upgrade I have made. They are very quiet and stick like glue in dry and more importantly wet conditions. Unless you autocross or must have the look of the larger rims you can get similar performance at much less cost by getting these tires or similar performance rubber. Check out the reviews and cost (and possible rebates) at tirerack.com.

i have a staggered setup using 17x7 and 17x9 asa ar1's wrapped in 245/45 and 275/40 kumho ecsta supras. id use the same widths for 18's but -5 in height on each size. my setup cost me a little less than $1200. i REALLY like the look, but if i were stupid rich id get 18" bbs lm's wrapped in goodyear eagle f1 gsd3's.

A couple things....

1) Tire choice is 17" sizes isn't limited at all, in fact 17" probably has the widest selection of tires that will conform to our stock overall height. Everything from 335 mm wide Yokohamas to some thin 225s...

2) I wouldn't go up in size to improve handling. Anyone thinking it's going to help your handling needs to look at F1 and at sanctioned race events. F1 rims are 12.5" up front, and 12" in the back. The sidewalls are close to 6" on either side of the rim and those are the best handling cars on the planet. Also true race rubber tends to only come in 13-14" sizes, coincidence??? :D

3) I personally like the look of the 17x7" GS400 rims I've got on my SC400. They're shod with 235/45R17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's, but when I replace these tires I will go back to Yokohamas (likely the AVS ES100). These tires are shorter than stock though, I will likely go to a 265/40 rear and a 245/45 front....

Just my $.02 of course,

I wouldn't go up in size to improve handling. Anyone thinking  it's going to help your handling needs to look at F1 and at sanctioned race events. F1 rims are 12.5" up front, and 12" in the back. The sidewalls are close to 6" on either side of the rim and those are the best handling cars on the planet. Also true race rubber tends to only come in 13-14" sizes, coincidence??? :D

wrong. wrong. wrong.

f7026a26.jpg.orig.jpg

do those tires look wider in the front? no. 305-355 in the front, 365-380 in the rear. any other size is 100% illegal. every single wheel in the ENTIRE f1 field is 13" in diameter. it is 100% illegal to have any other size. side walls are 167.5mm (6.7"). any larger and they would be illegal. btw, "true rubber" ranges in size from 13" to 18" from most major tire manufacturers. if you dont believe me just check a big tire companys website (avon, hoosier, etc.).

When I said 12.5 front and 12 rear I was talking rim diameter, not width. Also your 13" front and rear is wrong wrong wrong. ;)

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/car/index.html

I was mistaken, it's not 12.5 and 12. It's 13 and 12.5.... anyway, if larger profile tires were better handling why wouldn't the pinnacle of motorsports use them???

Now as you said, I went to http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm.....

Intersting that the road racing slicks are primarily sold in the 10" and 13" range, with a couple 15" and 16" thrown in there. I don't see any 18" tires in there but maybe I missed something. Up until only a couple years ago you basically couldn't buy race rubber larger than 15".

Anyway, go to your local track and see what the event winners are running on. I highly doubt you'll see anyone running 17-18" rims and tires. It's just too large, you don't need them that big to clear your brakes, and all they add is weight. For competition I would want 16" rims (cause they'll clear the brakes on the SC)

But anyway we're getting off topic here,

Intersting that the road racing slicks are primarily sold in the 10" and 13" range, with a couple 15" and 16" thrown in there. I don't see any 18" tires in there but maybe I missed something. Up until only a couple years ago you basically couldn't buy race rubber larger than 15".

Anyway, go to your local track and see what the event winners are running on. I highly doubt you'll see anyone running 17-18" rims and tires. It's just too large, you don't need them that big to clear your brakes, and all they add is weight. For competition I would want 16" rims (cause they'll clear the brakes on the SC)

But anyway we're getting off topic here,

care to tell me what sizes the avon tech r, hoosier a3s03, hoosier a3s04, hoosier r3s03, hoosier r3s04, and michelin pilot sport cup are available in? im dying to know the answer!

when i go to my local strip, i see these winning:

d_100279.jpg

so are you going to try and fit a 825/425-15 tire on your sc?

btw, 15.4 lbs isnt heavy for a 17" wheel.

I'd like to upgrade the wheels (bigger) and tires (wider and lower profile) on my '92 SC400. My questions are:

1) Should I go to 17" or 18" wheels?

2) How wide a tire will fit in the front? In the back?

3) If you've done this, please let me know what you did (size and brand of wheel and tires), how much it costs, and if you're happy with the results (looks, ride, handling performance, etc...).

Thanks,

92SC400owner

If you want big, go with 20 inch rims, 245/35/20 in the front and 255/35/20 in the rear, you won't have any problems. I have these on my 92' SC400.

I've got 18" HPRacing HPR5's with 245/40/18 tires. The wheel specs are 18x8", 38mm offset. 18's are still comfortable driving. 19s and 20s give a much harsher ride. It all depends on what you want and how much you have to spend. Each size up costs more $$$. Check around, ask questions and decide on what you like. Then make your decision. That way you don't buy a set of wheels you end up replacing. Yeah, this comes from experience. I'm on my 3rd set of wheels for my SC4 and I've only owned it since April!!! :wacko:

• 4 years later...

Can I add life to an old post??

:wacko:

Anyone share photo's of their SC400 with some 18x8's or 9's or even 10's?

I wanna go 18's but would like to see some pics with staggered or even same size front & rear.

I like the HP Evo's, but totally open to suggestion!

Thanks!!

Patrick