The Past Couple Weeks With A Lot Of Pics

blake918

Getting ready for the timing belt service. The week before we did the change all of the parts came in from Park Place Lexus for approx $250. The water pump is not shown, but it was changed and supplied by Irontoad.com for about $90 which is $60 less than PP Lexus. ;) Also not shown, Toyota Long Life coolant: supplied by local Toyota Parts dept for $17 a jug.

Idler Pulley:

DSC00846.sized.jpg

Belt Tensioner:

DSC00847.sized.jpg

Idler Pulley

DSC00849.sized.jpg

Timing Belt

DSC00850.sized.jpg

:cheers:

Timing belt change in progress. Again, special thanks to VMF for helping me get the car back together! I had the stereo LCD repaired by Sammy at Mikado Tech in South San Fran, CA for $150 plus $70 shipping. It was well worth it IMO! B) I still cannot believe I can see what CD track is on!! lol It was time for a rear brake job along with an oil change with M1 5w30 Super Syn and K&N Filter at 235k miles.

DSC00896.sized.jpg

DSC00898.sized.jpg

DSC00895.sized.jpg

DSC00901.sized.jpg

DSC00891.sized.jpg

DSC00915.sized.jpg

DSC00929.sized.jpg

DSC00931.sized.jpg

Now, some fun mods! I know I posted some pics of this a few weeks ago, but I want to put some more up that I can be proud of(the last ones were when my car was filthy. :blushing: ). This is 20% all around. As you can see, on a really sunny day, 20% isn't all that dark. '93LS, here are some shots from inside the car for ya. I like the one with the window cracked, so you can see how much it blocks out. ;) Cost: around $190(I can't remember!).

DSC00904.sized.jpg

DSC00908.sized.jpg

DSC00909.sized.jpg

DSC00927.sized.jpg

DSC00910.sized.jpg

DSC00917.sized.jpg

Image022_2.sized.jpg

This is a really awesome addition to my LS400! This is a Garmin iQue 3600 GPS Naviagtion System. Price: $600 at Best Buy. This little GPS is incredible. It's got tons of points of interest, it's very accurate, the display is very nice, there is a built in trip computer(see pic for all of the functions), it's easily moved inbetween my ES and LS, clear voice prompts with zoom in of next turn, and it was very inexpensive.

The case/chassis of this little GPS is very sturdy and solid. The "bean bag" mount with loud speaker is a must. If you turn off the GPS(by folding down the antenna)-say you want to take it into a store/meeting with you to use the Palm functions, the first satilite fix takes between 30-60 seconds. However, if you leave the antenna up(I just hide it in my console when I get out somewhere, so that I don't have to wait for it to research the sat signal all over again), the sat fix is instant. I've had one dropped signal while I was under a bunch of oak trees...not bad for about a month's usage. Along with all of the GPS functions, it is a full functioning Palm Pilot. I don't use any of the Palm functions because it is just too cumbersome for me! It is capable of mp3 playback, and you can view digital pics too. It's terribly easy to learn how to use. I laughed when a few people said that they still can't figure out how their Lexus navi works!

The good: see above

The bad: slow initial sat fix, I can't have the entire US's map on a DVD player in my trunk i.e. Lexus navi--so I have to load each city I want on to the GPS. I bought a larger memoery card(I want to say 512mb,but dont quote me), and I can fit about 12 states on there, so I can't really say it's a down side!

DSC00919.sized.jpg

DSC00921.sized.jpg

DSC00922.sized.jpg

DSC00923.sized.jpg

DSC00924.sized.jpg

Image031.sized.jpg

That timing belt replacement looks like quite a task. Is this basically what all has to come off of the 90-94 models to change the belt as well?

Is that your mothers white Suburban in that one photo? It looks identical to the one I am/was? considering.

That timing belt replacement looks like quite a task.  Is this basically what all has to come off of the 90-94 models to change the belt as well? 

Is that your mothers white Suburban in that one photo?  It looks identical to the one I am/was? considering.

Yep, the first gen should be very similar to my '95 as far as the procedure is concerned...we both have 1UZ-FE's! That's the last time I ever change the timing belt on my LS; that's how horrible it was! That is our Suburban("Summit White" with blue leather) in the background. ;)

Yep, the first gen should be very similar to my '95 as far as the procedure is concerned...we both have 1UZ-FE's! That's the last time I ever change the timing belt on my LS; that's how horrible it was! That is our Suburban("Summit White" with blue leather) in the background. ;)

It looks like it would be too much work for me. :blink: I would never get it back together. :lol:

You have your 95' LS looking great though. I think the 95-97s are one of the nicest LS models, especially in black.

The color on the 96 Suburban I am considering is also white with blue leather. Here is a dealer photo of the 96' Suburban. This is the same dealer that I bought my Lexus from. That is the Volvo dealership across the street. There lot is beside the road where the Suburban is parked. They usually keep a nice stock of Lexus, Acuras, BMWs and Mercedes, as well as upscale SUVs- Range Rovers, Land Rovers, etc.

post-4-1094527686.jpg

hey Blake, i would not recommend using 5w oil in ur engine since it has a lot of miles. i recently switched from m1 5w to 10w since it has more viscosity thus making a chanse of the leak smaller. 5w is good for engines with less then 100k after this 10w is recommended. i also noticed that u use green coolant, i would recommend flushing it and refilling with toyota recommended red coolant. thats what service manual said.

just my 5c:)

Thanks for all of the compliments guys! :D

'90, those 4x4 rims are very nice!

hey Blake, i would not recommend using 5w oil in ur engine since it has a lot of miles. i recently switched from m1 5w to 10w since it has more viscosity thus making a chanse of the leak smaller. 5w is good for engines with less then 100k after this  10w is recommended. i also noticed that u use green coolant, i would recommend  flushing it and refilling with toyota recommended red coolant. thats what service manual said.

just my 5c:)

I was waiting for someone to say something about the old, green coolant! :lol: We did flush and put the red Toyota coolant back in. I was concerned about the M1 5w30 synthetic at first, but I've been using it since 224kmiles(I'm about to rollover 235k any day now!), and every drop that I put in stays in(I think I'm the exception to the rules!)! lol ...crazy Lexus! B)

Silver, we did the brakes, timing belt job, and oil diy. The timing belt job(I say job because of the replacment of the water pump, tensioners, and idler pulleys) takes 8 hours. We used the wrong line up marks on the left cam(the right is beautifully marked, but the left leaves more to your imagination), so we got to do it all over again. The entire job took a shade under 16 hours. The rear brakes took about 35 minutes, and the oil change was under 30 minutes. I did do the navi install all by myself! :lol: The tint is best left to a professional. Thanks for the compliments. :D